Seeing results with yoga, cardio and weight training

helene1

Cathlete
Since couple weeks I decided to add yoga to my workout regiment.

Anyone of you are seeing great results doing yoga, cardio and weight training?

Also which YOGA DVD do you prefer?;-)

I do YogaX once a week. It is from the P90X series. Just finished doing YogaX, actually!

My hips are getting stronger and more flexible. Actually, everything is more flexible.

Yes, I am seeing excellent results from doing yoga, cardio and weight training. I am pleased enough that I know it will be part of my routine for life. Never quitting.

RE: Seeing results with yoga, cardio and weight trainin...

Helene, I added yoga into my workouts 8 years ago and will never give it up. I noticed a huge change in my upperbody and core strength as well as increased endurance (especially with things like long held planks). The breath work translates beautifully into efficient performance with cardio and weights and the balance work of yoga has done wonderful things for my ankle strength and stability.

I do my own yoga series of Surya Namaskara (sun salutations) and Asanas now but really enjoyed the challenge of Bryan Kest's PowerYoga 'Energize, Tone and Sweat'. He's extremely hot but I found his participants too much like yoga automatons (c'mon people, would it kill you to crack a smile?!). I just purchased my first Baron Baptiste DVD and thought it was well done and I liked his style.

Good for you for adding in something new, it's imperative to switch up your routines and keep the body guessing. There is so much variety with yoga that I've always been able to suit it to my needs. I love the body awareness and long lean look that result from yoga but the intangible things that yoga gives me are beyond measure.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Helene I have been practicing for 6 years now. And when I get away from it my hamstrings and back always pay the price. Being a runner for a long time I believe my hamstrings have become about three inches too short for my body!! :)

I can recommend a few things:

(1) Get thee to yoga clases if you have not. Since going in earnest 2x/week at least since end October I have had tremendous results. For example just one instruction to let my back naturally curve and my butt stick out in Warrior 2 made that pose totally different and better. We are always jamming that back straight. As my instructor says, "Yoga let's you have your curved spine and your aches and pains. It accepts you. So let it will ya?" She is a very cool instructor.

(2) Tape to recommend: Yoga Zone Power Yoga 2 - the 60 minute one. Great to do just the 1st 30 minutes if short on time (they work one side then the other in those 1st 30 minutes),Baron Baptiste anything - he just gets it, as for previously mentioned Kest Energize/Tone/Sweat - love them but oh yes such class zombies!! I ignore them and focus on Kest in his wid hair days; also baron Baptiste has a Journey Into Power book that has several workouts in the book for 30/45/60/90 minutes. Finally check to see what ip[od downloadable workouts are out there. Then you can take them with you.

(3) My results: leaner legs, better cardio capacity when I run, little if any back pain, and I just feel better, walk straighter. Stronger abs. Down side: how ever do we fit it all in???? My goal is 4x/week cardio, 2x/week weights, 3x/week yoga. SO soubling up some days, do circuit training to fit in the cardio and weights on same day. Most weeks I can't get it all together. I mean really we have lives right?

Hope this helps. BTW from your name I see you are French. I am planning two business trips to Paris March and May. Any tips on good eating that won't cause me to blimp up? Staying in hotel by Arc de Triomphe.

Take care!

Julie

Hi,

thanks for the replies. Glab to know other girls on the forum believe in yoga.

Sarah: I never heard of the P90X series. What is it? It's probably working because you are looking great.

Laurie: funny to see that you live in Kingston, ON. I'm in Kingston, NS. Husband is military. I went on Amazon and there is mixed reviews of Bryan Kest. So you really like him? I should get a DVD and try if I like his style.

Julie: I'm french from Québec. I was born close to Montréal. Sorry can't help you about anything in Paris. Never been there. Maybe some day. I'll see if I can get Yoga Zone Power Yoga on Amazon.

And also you're right about saying that it's hard to fit everything in. I have to set my priorities in life and one of them is to be in better shape.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.