satellite internet

Lisa11

Cathlete
Hi everyone - I am moving to a rural area where DSL is not available. I can't go back to dial up, it's useless. I have researched Hughesnet and Wild Blue and have read both good and bad things about them, mostly bad. Does anyone have experience with either one of these, or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Lisa

I live way out in the "boonies" so to speak and subscribed to Hughesnet for a couple of years but never did like them. The speed is not as good as you get with cable DSL and not worth the $60.00 a month IMO. Fortunately a local company installed line of site towers, like with cell phones that we were able to access and I get much better service now. Don't know anything about Wild Blue.

ShellyC

Cable is the fastest internet I understand but for us in the boonies...you usually can't get it. I use a Broadband connection for about $40 a month and where I live I am one of the few that can get reception. Thank God! Have you looked into Verizon? I don't know if it is availble in your area, but they do offer a high speed internet...:)

I tried a Verizon "air card" for a week ...too slow and my Intrenet Explorer kept dumping me off line every time I "x"d a screen. It was $80/month!! Ow!

Now I have a Sprint air card. It's 60/mo. and much faster. Still a lot more expensive than the dial-up I was paying for ($10/mo.) but so much faster. It's far worth my time to pay that than to sit at the computer all day.

Good luck. I struggled with this purchase for a long time and I'm so glad I switched.

Thank you for the advice - I am looking into the Sprint air card - that might be a solution. We have Verizon for our phone service but they don't offer DSL up here - they do about a mile away but not here. Thanks!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.