Running ...... and female organs?

I was told by someone that running is not the best for women because it is to much jarring on the female organs. For a woman who has had children(and I have 2), I can somewhat understand that this could make sense.

Please, can I get some opinions on this?

I think I'd like to take up running since it seems like that can help blast off extra fat, but am hesitant after hearing the negative of that.

Thanks!
Dorinda

I've run for about 30 years and never heard this. I have also never had kids! But I run with good friends that have had children and so far I have not heard them having any particular female problems....I've been very lucky with my knees...:)...Carole

I have a friend that had a baby recently and she was anxious to start her long evening walks. On one such walk through her neighborhood, a nurse that had helped her during her hospital stay happened to drive by. She stopped her car and told my friend not to start her walking for a few more weeks as it could cause her uterus to fall.

I'd never heard that either until then, but I have heard of uterus' falling, just didn't know why. I think they're referred to as prolapsed? Could be wrong on the jargon.

Liz

Come to think of it, I have a friend that has incontinence issues and she has always been a runner. Maybe something went wrong with her to cause her bladder to drop some from running too soon after she had her children?
I know with me that I cannot jump on my childrens trampoline without feeling like I have to pee and when I do the jumping jacks in mid air.
Interesting post though.
Charlotte~~

Dorinda, there are many false myths associated with running including loosening the uterus & causing sagging breasts. There are many running books that are written specifically for women that can set your mind at ease.

Debra

I can speak directly to this because I just had a hysterectomy for a prolapsed bladder and uterus. I was a sometimes runner and high impact aerobics lover.

After 2 kids, my bladder was all the way out and showing. The large hammock-like piece of tissue that holds it and all of the bladder anchors had simply given out. All the pushing also collapsed most of my vagina as wel.

I had everything repaired and now it is anchored with about 150 stitches.

Post surgery my doctor said that the BEST way to preserve the work and prevent future problems was no running, ever. No hours of walking on pavement. It is the exact motion that pounds on that tissue. I can walk up and down hills and on softer ground, but pavement is out.
Could I run - sure but it will wear the work out more quickly.
Ditto for very high impact aerobics - I keep my step low now and I'm not as "jumpy". About 16 weeks after surgery I was feeling great and hitting it hard - I started to have pressure in my pelvis and had to go in and have him check. When I say check, I mean jump up and down while he "checked". He told me to cool it a bit and cut the jumping. Also to reduce weight on the squats. I also have a pessary - which looks like a hard diaphram that I wear when I do Cathe. It helps support my bladder and keep things steady down there. I could/should have been wearing one prior to that, but my old doc was an ob/gyn and never even brought up the fact that my bladder was visible!
My surgeon the leading incontinence doc in Portland - he is also very athletic. He made it very clear to me that running is very punishing on the internal organs. Women who are prone to prolapse, have been very overweight or had multiple pregnancies may find that other exercise is less wearing and that running is not worth it.
Hope this helps....Melissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.