Recipe help for someone who hates eating beans???????

Zora

Cathlete
In my quest to eat (and like) healthier foods, I'm trying to get into beans, which I unfortunately can't really stand eating. I like your basic green beans, but that's about it. Does anyone have any tasty recipes or ways to eat beans that would be good for someone who doesn't particularly care for them? For those of you with picky children (which I always was), how do you "sneak" them into their diets? :) I'd like to start using all kinds of dried beans, etc., but I don't really know where to start - anyone else have this problem, and if you did, how did you acquire a taste for them?

Thanks!

What types of beans are you willing to try? I personally love a variety...pintos, black beans, butter beans, crowder peas, black eyed peas.... Also, are you vegetarian? Vegan? Do you like spicey food? I can make some recommendations based on your preferences.

I'm willing to try recommendations for any of those you listed, and no, I'm not vegetarian or vegan. The only kind I just don't see myself ever eating are refried beans (tried them too many times already!). Thanks.

Sorry Zora...I hate 'em too!

I know that they are great for you but I end up gagging them down. I will be interested to see what others suggest.

Melissa

here's a simple recipe for white beans/great northern beans.

Soak them according to package, then put them in a large pot with plenty of water, over medium heat. Let the beans cook down over several hours, keeping an eye on them so they don't burn or bubble over. I like mine really mushy but you can also pull them off when they are soft and brothy instead of the texture of refrieds. :) From here, you can pretty much jazz them up to your taste. I usually add garlic, olive oil, tomatoes and spinach and a little fresh Parmesean and enjoy them with bread and wine on the side. Or, once you pull them off the stove, put them in a casserole, add sausage if you eat meat, and let them bake a little until the top is crunchy.

I also have a recipe for homemade baked beans. If you can stand baked beans let me know and I will post it :)

HTH!

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Try putting some kidney beans or any kind of beans in like a healthy burrito or even in a salad. Beans are accually good, but if you don't like them, eat them with other foods so you won't get such a big taste from them. Good Luck!

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Thanks ladies!

Sparrow, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to try your baked beans recipe.
I agree with Adri that I'll probably learn to like beans if they're mixed in with other foods, especially meats. Anyone have any good recipes that mix beans with meats and other vegetables?

Thanks!

Chili recipes are great for mixing beans with meat. Go to epicurious.com and type in chili and search.

I like a black bean and corn salad--2 cans of black beans, 1 can of corn, one big tomato chopped, one small red onion chopped, olive oil, lime juice, a handful of cilantro, chopped, and one or two jalapeno beans, chopped and with or without seeds, depending on how hot you like it. Salt and pepper. This is almost like a salsa and tastes delicious on grilled fish or chicken. If you add a ripe mango, it's also tasty.

MMmmmmmmm... Chili sounds good. My mom makes it wiht 96% extra lean burgers and kidney beans!! Yummy:9. It really takes the beany taste away. Good idea

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

How about 15 bean soup? You can get the mix in the rice aisle at the supermarket and you can add lean kilbasa to it and it is soooo good. I cut up 1 onion, fresh garlic and fresh veges (zucchini,celery,mushrooms) cook that and add chicken broth (water does not taste good to me) simmer and add a can of tomatos and add the beans and simmer all day. I really like it and I add a jalapeno and extra spices to spice it up since I like it hot.
Oh I also like garbanzo beans and they take really good with pasta.
Lisa

I love homemade Hummus! A can of garbanzo beans, drained (but save the juice), a clove of garlic, salt, pepper, a touch of lemon juice and a little cumin and whiz it up in the food processor, adding the juice back until you have a nice dip consistency. I eat it with baked tortillas or veggies.

This is a favorite of mine:

Sausage Bean Stew

INGREDIENTS

1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices

2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained

1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained

1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, drained

1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Hot cooked rice, optional

Directions:
In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Heat through. Serve in bowls over rice if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

I like to make dips/pâtés/spreads (same things, but with a different name!) that I can dip veggies in, spread in celery 'boats' (good finger food for kids), use as a bread spread, spread on a leaf of romaine and wrap around sliced veggies, etc.

My basic 'recipe': toss some onions (I like red onions) and garlic in the food processor and chop, add 1 can drained and rinsed organic garbanzos, a pinch of celtic sea salt, some poultry seasoning, sometimes a dash of nutritional yeast for a more 'eggish' flavor and grind to a paste.

You can use this as a general guide for other recipes: use black beans and add parsley or cilantro and tomatoes and mexican spices for a more mexican flavor, for example. Lentils would also make a good base (I haven't tried it yet, but think that onions, portobello mushrooms (perhaps both marinated in some Nama Shoyu soy sauce) and walnuts would be a good addition to this).

Garbanzos are also nice as a salad addition.

I have a chicken chili recipe that uses Cannelini beans and is really good if you're interest.

I know beans are high in fiber and protein and are healthy for you, but seriously, there's are other things out there that are high in protein and fiber and are healthy. If you don't like beans, why force yourself to eat them?

Thanks so much everyone!!!

Christine, I would love that chicken chile recipe! In addition to the wonderful suggestions above, I also found a whole bunch of tasty looking recipes on the Food and Wine website.

Thanks ladies!!! :)

RE: Recipe help for someone who hates eating beans?????...

One more suggestion in case you still can't tolerate the beans in these recipes. I also hated beans, but I taught myself to like them by starting with what I could tolerate, which was lentils, because they're so much smaller than beans. Mixing them with corn and tomatoes is tasty and simple. Then I moved on to things like black-eyed peas and baby lima beans, keeping it small and allowing time to get used to it before moving on to a larger bean. This process has taken me many years, but I can now eat lots of different beans. I still can't eat any large red beans, or refried beans (because of how it looks:(
Here's a great recipe that takes the beans out of bean-form: In 2c water boil a meduim chopped potato and half a can of garbanzo beans. When the potato is soft remove from heat and use a stick blender to blend it into a puree. Back on the burner add 1Tb olive oil and stir in chopped spinach until it's wilted, and whatever spices you want.
Hope this helps, and keep reminding yourself of all the extra fiber and protein!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.