Read any good books lately?

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

It's a funny - here's what the new yorkerr wrote about it:

Two estranged sisters living in England discover that their addled elderly father, a Ukrainian war refugee and expert on tractors, is planning to marry a young, enormous-breasted woman who sees his modest pension as her ticket to capitalist comfort. The sisters put aside their differences, and embark on a spirited campaign to save him from boil-in-the-bag dinners, slovenly housekeeping, and such extravagant purchases as a broken-down Rolls-Royce. In the midst of these machinations—which include long-winded letters to solicitors, venomous gossip, and all-out spying—Lewycka stealthily reveals how the depredations of the past century dictate what a family can bear.
:+

If you like mysteries,I have discovered a great writer, Harlan Coban.
I have read 6 of his books, and usually finish each in 2 days because I can't put them down.

Melissa

I just finished The Golden Age by Gore Vidal--it was about WWII & FDR. If you like fictionalized history check it out--Vidal is a great writer & his books are a lot of fun. His book on Aaron Burr is one of my all time favorites.

I just got done reading One Shot by Lee Child. He writes mysteries/thrillers. He has several books out that are all fantastic. In the same genre, I would also suggest Greg Illes as well as Sara Paretsky and Sue Grafton.

Another good read was "The Last of Her Kind" By Sigrid Nunez. It's a book about 2 college roommates and the paths that their lives take. It takes place in the 60's and 70's. I read this book in 24 hours when I was at the beach earlier this year. My sister just got done reading it and loved it.

Two books stand out for me, both a little offbeat. They are COTTON and THE STOLEN CHILD. Here are links to reviews:

COTTON
http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Christ...=pd_bbs_1/103-7197924-8184615?ie=UTF8&s=books

THE STOLEN CHILD
http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Child-...=pd_bbs_1/103-7197924-8184615?ie=UTF8&s=books

HTH, Sparrow

ETA: if you are in a non-fiction mood I also would recommend 1776, Benjamin Franklin: An American Life, and Team of Rivals: the Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. (I think I may have suggested the latter before...)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

I just finished Gods in Alabama. I can't remember the author's name -- I couldn't put it down. It was a really fast and fun read.

Anything by Fannie Flagg -- Fried Green Tomatoes is a good one.

"Something Borrowed", "Something Blue" by Emily Giffen also her new book, "Baby Proof."

Anything by Jennifer Weiner.

Marian Keyes is also great and has quite a few books all of them I read this summer:p .

I read this book (Gods in Alabama) last year while I was on vacation and it is a good one!:) So, I would second this recommendation.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. It is a story about friendship and chinese foot binding. I loved it.

Tina

Just finished Drowning Ruth (older book) really good, also enjoyed The Glass Castle, and someone else recommended Harlan Coban- He is excellent!!
Deanie:)

Wow... I am going to have to visit the amazon website next to check out some of these books... Baby Proof sounds interesting. :)

If you haven't already read it, The Kite Runner is amazing. Definitely on the heavier/ more serious side. My favorite lighter/ more humorous books to read are the ones by Sophie Kinsella... especially the Shopaholic series.

Oh yes... I forgot this in my previous post... Peace Like a River. An easy, captivating, and delicious read.

I just started to get into Lynsay Sands and Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark Hunter Series). Little on the paranormal side but very, very steamy. Also, Tara Janzen's Steele Street books - typical Navy Seal type guys (and 1 girl) save the day and the lady - also very steamy.

Woohoo!
Thank you for all of the great suggestions. I'll be spending time on Amazon and at Borders this weekend checking out all of everyone's reccomendations!
Calee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.