question on length of cardio

nspaulding3

Cathlete
This may be a stupid question ...

Is there a difference between doing 30 min of cardio six times a week or 60 minutes of cardio 3 times a week?
Is one better than the other?

I am trying to make the most of the time I have to workout. I have a 4 month old baby and I've been using the Timesaver DVD for the past month. I am ready to do something different and am trying to plan out my next workouts.

Thanks so much for your help!

Personally I think there probably is. I think it's better to get your heart rate up more frequently than for longer lengths of time, b/c it may stay up for different reasons--i.e. if you do weight training after cardio, or if you go to work after cardio, or even if you go grocery shopping or do some housework.

personally, if i don't do a little cardio everyday, i find that my stamina/endurance just crashes. i can't really take a big rest day or i try to do my next cardio and pretty much fall off the step!
maddie

I think that you should do whatever works best for you. If those are your only 2 choices, I'd go for 30 minutes, 6 days per week.

When I started working out again in August, I began with the CTX rotation. I did it for 8 weeks and lost a few pounds, but when I started doing the full-length cardio workouts, that's when the pounds started dropping. I don't know if it was just coincidental because the fat was being replaced with muscle and I wasn't able to notice a weight loss.

However, with a 4 month old...you're probably better off doing 30 minutes of cardio. I'm impressed that you can do any at all. It took me 4 years before I was able to get back into it!

I too would suggest the 30 minutes a day. I salute you on your continued to commitment to exercise with a 4 month old. Start out with the 30 minutes- 6 days a wk. See how it goes. See how it goes. Then you may consider gradually changing it to 3 days cardio and 2 days cardio and/or weights. I remember returning to exercising after my 2nd child. I knew I didn't have a lot of time. I started out 30 minutes of cardio and 5 minutes of abs M - F. On Saturdays, I did 60 minutes of weights. I did that for 30 days to get me back into the routine. I felt successful just knowing that I stuck to it. After that, I slowly increased my weekday workout to 40 minutes to 50 minutes. With healthy eating habits, it worked for me. Just deciding on a routine that will work for YOU is what is best. If you know your time may be limited and you want to make sure you stick to it, start out with the 30 minutes and make a gradual change. Good Luck. Congratulations on your new little one.

Thanks so much everyone for the help and suggestions!

I think I am going to try the 30 min of cardio per day and hopefully squeeze in some strength on weekends or in the evening.

Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.