Question for Maribeth

roe

Cathlete
Hi Maribeth,

I wrote you under the Golfers Elbow topic but with the abundance of posts in here it is now at the bottom of the queue. This is a popular place!:D

I'd like to pick your very knowledgable brain in regards to a particular variation of a static lunge, or dip, as the Firm calls it. I love the Firm, but there are times I question their body positions and kinesiology background, so do my own modifications.

Here's the Q: Place your back leg on a 14" platform and perform a static lunge. I am only 5'1", and my back knee points directly to the floor. Ouch! But regardless of limb length, would this position be an example of passive insufficiency of the rectus femoris? I am trying to figure out if there is not only possible risk to the knee, but if the set up of the exercise provides any benefit at all. And I know you know the answer! :7

I also have a situation at work that is driving me nuts so if it is okay to email you privately about it please let me know.

Your posts are really appreciated here. I for one love reading them.

-Roe

Bumping

But also want to mention that upon trying to analyze this further, since the joint action of the rear leg is knee extension, I'm not sure any type of insufficiency applies since there is no movemement occuring at both the hip and knee joint in the rear leg during the exercise - like in a squat when the knee extends while the hip extends causing (passive?) insufficiency of the hamstrings. I do know the the hip of the rear leg is in hyperextension so the hip flexor is pulling as the knee extends. It just feels icky.

-Roe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.