Question for Aqua Jock

debra

Hi!
Quick question for the all-knowing auqa queen. I have a friend who is in her late 60's. She teaches water aerobics 3xs a week, but up to 3 classes a day. She is recovering (at the one year mark now) from esphogial cancer. Her problem is that her voice is not as strong as it was prior to the radiation and the chemo. I am worried about her developing nodules from yelling.

Here's my question - I have searched but I can't find any info on microphones for water use. Do you know if such a thing even exists? I would appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks so much,
Debbie Russo :D

RE: Answer for Debbie Russo

Hi, Debbie! Sorry I'm only responding now; I don't have access to a computer over the weekend.

Actually, yes there are several voice-amplification systems for aqua instructors. Your friend can check out the Kiefer catalog (www.kiefer.com) to start. There are mike systems for instructors who teach on deck without ever getting in the pool, and there are submersible systems for instructors who get in the pool.

She may also try the Aquatic Exercise Association (www.aeawave.com). These two should get her off to a good start.

Warning: these systems are mega-expensive, but your friend is right to be concerned about developing nodules.

Annette Q. Aquajock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.