Question for a health care worker

wutherhi

Cathlete
Nine days ago, my doctor changed my blood pressure medicine from a simple diuretic to a combination pill. In those nine days, I have gained 10.5 pounds. I'm sure there is an adjustment period, and I'm sure this is water weight, but that seems like a huge amount to me.

I drink 2 and sometimes 2.5 sixty-four ounce jugs of water every day, so I'm not retaining water because I'm dehydrated. Oh, and I also track my sodium and eat less than 2400 mg a day. So that's not it, either. The water's still going in, but not much of it is coming back out, if you know what I mean. I feel enormous! I can't even wear my regular clothes! I'm stuck in gym shorts.

I'm also having trouble breathing and wondering if those two things could possibly be connected? I have asthma and multiple allergies, so it could easily just be a coincidence, but it seems strange that the breathing troubles started at exactly the same time.

Also, in the first few days, my blood pressure was going down to 45-55 right after I took the pills. It was making me so tired, I started taking it at night, so I don't really know what it is until morning, and by then it's within the normal range.

My question is, is this acceptable? Can I expect these things to get better as my body adjusts to the new meds, or should I try to get back in to see my doctor sooner than the 30 day checkup she scheduled?

Thanks,

Shari

Call your doctor today! 128 to 160 oz of water a day? Seems like an excess to me. Recommendations are 64 to 80, if I'm correct. There is such a thing as water toxicity....

Well, I just did do a quick little bit of Internet research on this, and most sources tend to agree that water intoxication affects mostly marathoners and babies. It seems that our kidneys can process as much as 15 liters of water a day. However, several articles I read also mentioned that too much water can cause irregular heartbeat, and I've been experiencing that as well, so it's certainly possible that this is the problem. Maybe my body's just weird. I think you're right, though. I really do need to call the doctor today.

Thanks,
Shari

Shari,

I would call your doctor and tell him/her what you are feeling...the excess water weight gain and breathing difficulties don't sound good to me at all..call your doctor ASAP!!

:)

Call your doctor and report your symptoms. Don't speculate at all.
Judy
AKA "Likes2bfit"
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

Hey Shari,

Since you're insulin resistant, you should not be retaining water because excess insulin causes sodium and therefore water retention. (See how much I've learned since I found out about this condition from you?:) )

I would highly recommend contacting your doctor asap because that kind of water retention isn't healthy. Also, if it's not water - you certainly don't want to be on a drug that may cause weight gain.

The other side effects you're experiencing don't sound good either. Call your doctor asap!

Keep up posted!

Joni

whats the other med in the combo pill..if it is a beta blocker..many asthmatics cannot take this type of bp med......please call your MD..also beta blockers can make you feel tired!

Thanks for the help, all. I called the doctor today, and she took me off the new bp meds and put me back on the old. Not sure how effective this is going to be, as the old meds weren't controlling my bp very well. At least I won't be exhausted, gaining a pound a day (I hope), or gasping for air. I have another appointment in 30 days. Guess I'll find out more then.

Thanks again,
Shari

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.