Question for 1/2 Marathoners/Marathoners

lioness

Cathlete
I will be doing my first 1/2 marathon in less than month. What should my diet be the day before/the morning of the race. I won't be at home the morning of the race. I'll be in a hotel.

Thanks,

Don't do anything different than normal the day of the race. You want to keep with whatever is your normal routine there. Don't want to mess with the tummy. I usually have pasta the night before. But nothing greasy. Good luck and have fun.

I second LaDonna's advice. Eat what you would normally eat before a long run. If you do have pasta, make sure it's something you know you can eat and eat only a normal portion. Too many people make the mistake of "carb loading" the night before and suffering the consequences during the run.

Yep, absolutely stick to your normal breakfast. I usually have a packet of instant oatmeal and a half a banana on the mornings I do my long runs (and race morning).

It's easy to fix in a hotel and portable. Good luck on your race! :)

Kathy G

Jane,
Ditto to all of the above. Just wanted to say how exciting it is that you are closing in on your first half! :)

Kathy,
How'd you do in Philly on Sunday?

Yup. Everyone else is right one. Eat what you normally would, even if it means going to a grocery store near your hotel to stock up on your regular eats. :)

Don't do anything different!! Including what you do during the run... I tried a new drink once on a long run and thank goodness it wasn't during the run itself... OW. If they are passing out (for example) Gatorade and you aren't used to it, don't take it. :p

I agree with the others, don't do anything different. The only thing I did the day before my race was make sure that I was well hydrated all day and I had a pasta for my dinner. I don't normally eat pasta...and I didn't eat everything that I was on my plate either.
The day of the race I drank before the race and had a normal breakfast, 1/2 bagel or toast...whatever I could stomach.
Good luck!

Lori:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.