Q about Raw Nuts & Seeds

August

Cathlete
I'd like to start making my own trail mix to keep for a healthy snack.

If anyone has any answers or advice, I'd greatly appreciate any!

1) I understand that eating nuts raw is the best way to go...are there any nuts or seeds that you should NOT eat raw? (At this moment I'm thinking to use almonds, walnuts, cashewnuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds - all raw)

2) I guess you wouldn't call it a "recipe" LOL, but does anyone have any good trail mix ingredients suggestions? I guess raisins or dried cranberries...anything else?

3) Keeping raw nuts etc frozen keeps them up to a year, but how long are they okay in a small container in my bag?

Many thanks!
August

August,
There's a recipe I make for myself and my daughter called "Zen Mix":
--1/2 c. dried cranberries
--1/4 c. sunflower seeds
--1/4 c. dry-roasted soy nuts
--1/4 c. pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
You can add raw almonds or raisins if you like. I think they are OK if they are sealed for at least 1-2 weeks. The recipe for the above states it makes 8 servings ( they look pretty small )
Have fun making your mix!
Laurie

Just make sure that when you use dried cranberries, that they don't have extra sugar in them. I know that the ones on the grocery store shelves are loaded with either sugar or corn syrup.

I like dried cherries and snipped dry figs sometimes. Flaked coconut? Some flakes of natural cereal work too.

I just keep the nuts in the freezer until I use them, then put them in a ziploc bag where they keep for a month or more. But I have eaten them by then.

Amy - I happened to see your post just before leaving for the grocery store. You aren't kidding! They ALL had tons of sugar in them! Thanks for the heads up!

Robin - Pffft! LMAO.

Oooooh. Chocolate chips......:9

Hi, Mogambo,

Those are also great suggestions. Thanks. I've heard good things about coconut oil, I wonder if flakes have similar benefits.

They'll keep in a Ziploc for about a month? That's good to know. Though, I guess mine won't last that long either LOL.

Thanks everyone for your answers and crackups. :7

Does anybody know what seeds and nuts should NOT be eaten raw?

I bought almonds, walnuts, cashew, pumpkin seed and sunflower seed all raw and unsalted. This is the best way (healthiest) to have them, right?

..............man, chocolate chips really would be good in there.

I suggest soaking and redrying raw nuts and seeds before eating. This removes some enzyme inhibitors and anti-nutrients that are in the nuts, activates the enzymes, and makes the fats and proteins more digestible. For larger, harder nuts (almonds, for example) soak 6-8 hours, then drain and rinse and let air dry (or dry in a dehydrator, which makes them a little crispier). For smaller seeds, soak only 2-4 hours. You can also sprout seeds a bit, by rinsing 2 times the first day (about 8 hours apart) then letting dry the second day (don't sprout any more than this, as some seeds, like pumpkin and sunflower, get bitter if sprouted too long. You may not even see any kind of sprout ---and if you do, it will be a wee small nub).

Almonds are one of the few alkaline nuts (most are acid producing) and are a good source of vitamin E.
Pine nuts (pignolias) are also very nutritious.
Most nuts are pretty good (in moderation--they are high in fat), but some recommend avoiding cashews.

Some trail mix suggestions:

Walnuts + dried apples + chopped dates (kind of a 'carmel apple' mix).

Almonds/pecans (both or either) + raw, sugar-free large flake coconut + goji berries

Basically any combo of nuts/seeds you like, mixed with a combo of unsulfured dried fruit (chopped if bigger than a large raisin) like apricots, peaches, pears, apples, etc.

Thank you for your reply, Kathryn.

May I ask :

1) Could I soak and dry everything and then freeze them so they are ready to be eaten whenever I pull them out?

2) Is there any harm in eating almonds, walnuts, cashew, sunflower/pumpkin seeds raw?

Many thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.