Pure Strength--should I?

elsie3

Cathlete
I've posted this in the DVD Questions/Comments Forum, but I wondered if more people would see it here.

I really would like opinions on Pure Strength series. I've always been tempted to get it, but some of the reviews have turned me off. It's the only Cathe workout (besides the beginner/intermediate w/o's), that I don't own. And, to be honest, that's the main reason I've wanted to get it. But I wonder if I would use it. If I have all the other weight workouts (including STS), do you think I would benefit by getting Pure Strength?

Thanks for your input.

Sorry I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say I put this in my cart this morning for purchase! I was thinking of getting it recently, then when I noticed Cathe included it in her October rotation it convinced me to buy it. :D

Pure Strength was my 1st Cathe purchase. Then came the slow and heavy and then the gym style and now STS.

Frankly I have not used it at all in years. My version is VHS ! With the 3 Meso's of STS I have enough to rotate and love them much more than the other DVD's.

But if you truely wanted to create a rotation then it's worth the purchase.

Well, I really like Pure Strength and have continued to use it even though I own every single Cathe DVD including STS. Here's one of the best things-all the workouts are on a single DVD so you can mix and match it up easily to create different workouts. The upper body workouts are short but really effective. My arms look really toned when I do Pure Strength. Almost as good as doing a 1 hour STS workout. The shorter UB workouts mean you can tack on cardio on the same day. The lower body has longer rest periods than her other workouts with shorter reps so you can go really heavy if you like that-heavier than any other weight workout except for STS. In fact, I consider Pure Strength to be the slightly easier, shorter version of STS. I will substitute it for an STS workout if I'm a little tired or too short on time for STS and it keeps my strength up just fine. In contrast, with Gym Styles I find I have to use lighter weights than Pure Strength, and the rest periods are not as long. I actually lost strength doing Gym Styles between an STS rotation, but not with Pure Strength.
Beth

I have not done PS for over 8 years. It has been superceded by GS series and STS, and now with STS total body coming along, you do not need it. Save your cash for future pre-sale.

PS is outdated, the style of presentation, music and overall format is just not as interesting or as modern. PS is basic strength training moves, but it loses out where it doesn't use resistance bands, stability balls and physiotherapy and pilates inspired exercises (such as we see on more recent productions) to work muscles from different angles.

I bought nearly everything on DVD and converted most of my collection from VHS when the DVDs first came out. PS is the series I never re-purchased and have never regretted it.

Clare

I did the Pure Strength Chest, Shoulders and Triceps the other day and I had tricep DOMS for two days! I forgot how great these workouts were. I really like them. Yeah, they are a little out-dated style wise, but the overall workouts are still effective and the routines aren't outdated. It's also different from the other weight workouts, so it's a nice compliment. Just my 2 cents. :)

I love this workout! It does not have the dread factor some of the other workouts have, but gives you a great workout. It also has some great ab workouts. They are very simple moves but really get in there and work. Yeah, it's a little dated...but you get over that real quick once you are into the workout. I find myself reaching for this one, especially to use the mix and match to workout a specific muscle group.

Thank you all for your input. It's good to know that PS does have differences from the other weight workouts. Your candid reviews help.

So, just out our curiosity, what did you decide? I purchased it last night and can't wait to try it. :)

I'm sure I'll cave. The price is really good, plus the 10% coupon expires on the 15th. What I love about Cathe workouts is that each one hits things a little differently. Whenever I do a w/o I haven't done forever, I'm always really glad I have it.

Please let us know how you like it.

I think PS is a great series of workouts. The reps are slow enough to go a bit heavier than with many of Cathe's more "endurance-based" workouts, and the selection of exercises is good.

The cons:

A somewhat dated look (headbands).

Some marginal form in some moves (IIRC: there are deadlifts done with a too-far-forward bend for my tastes, unless I'm thinking of MIS).

As in many of Cathe's earlier weight workouts, there is (I think, I haven't done the workouts for a while) an imbalance of chest-to-back work, but that's easily compensated for by doing fewer sets of chest.

I think PS is a great series of workouts. The reps are slow enough to go a bit heavier than with many of Cathe's more "endurance-based" workouts, and the selection of exercises is good.

The cons:

A somewhat dated look (headbands).

Some marginal form in some moves (IIRC: there are deadlifts done with a too-far-forward bend for my tastes, unless I'm thinking of MIS).

As in many of Cathe's earlier weight workouts, there is (I think, I haven't done the workouts for a while) an imbalance of chest-to-back work, but that's easily compensated for by doing fewer sets of chest.

I prefer slow reps, so that might just be the clincher. I don't mind sweatbands. After all, I can't get through a workout without one.:p

I have all of Cathe's strength videos/dvds except for STS (wipe a tear from my eye). I still love PS. True, it is dated, but I continue to really like the work itself. It has my favorite shoulder work out of all. For comparison's sake, I also love GS.

I've been debating about Pure Strength and Slow & Heavy b/c I wasn't sure if I wanted to get them or not but maybe I'll revisit those.

I've been debating about Pure Strength and Slow & Heavy b/c I wasn't sure if I wanted to get them or not but maybe I'll revisit those.

I didn't get Slow & Heavy for the longest time. It's now my favorite weight workout.

I just ordered Pure Strength this morning. I appreciate all the candid reviews--pro and con.

Well this made me look at them, they seem to be heavily discounted, marked down to $30. I kind of like the straight forward nature of these, to add some new weight workouts. The headband is pretty darned funny. Is that Cedie to the back left? She looks cute.

I have been more into full body workouts these days, but when I switch over to splits again I'll have to take a closer look.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.