Pullovers with a Barbell

Boingo1

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I was relieved to read your review of Pullovers with a barbell on a bench (On DISC 5 overview). I asked this question on the STS Forum, under disc 5, but thought it would be good for Cathe TV too!

Sometimes on these I feel like I'm going to be pulled back or feel my shoulders are going to snap over if I don't! So is this "normal"??? I always get scared , in fact , once during this move (Not on STS), I DID go over!

Is the trick to tighten something more? Your Core? your low back? Does this feeling mean it's too heavy?

Would love to see a demonstration and hear the proper way to do this move.

Hi Chris!

Pullovers definitely make you feel vunerable due to the flexibility, position, and angle required.

1) Make sure you are fully warmed up before doing this exercise. Never open a program with pullovers.

2) Use a light weight first and let the muscle stretch as you slowly go down and back up.

3) Once you are warmed up and stretched ( #1 and #2) go down only to the point where you are in complete control of your position. If at the bottom of the move the back is arching off bench, or shoulders are feeling awkward and severely strained, your down too low. Just feel a nice stretch that works within your range of motion and when you've gotten to the end range of that comfort zone, go back up. Also keep your core turned on tightly to help anchor your position on the step and exhale as you drive the weight back up to provide additional back support.

Hope this helps!

Hi Cathe!

I was relieved to read your review of Pullovers with a barbell on a bench (On DISC 5 overview). I asked this question on the STS Forum, under disc 5, but thought it would be good for Cathe TV too!

Sometimes on these I feel like I'm going to be pulled back or feel my shoulders are going to snap over if I don't! So is this "normal"??? I always get scared , in fact , once during this move (Not on STS), I DID go over!

Is the trick to tighten something more? Your Core? your low back? Does this feeling mean it's too heavy?

Would love to see a demonstration and hear the proper way to do this move.

Last edited:
Thanks, Cathe! I will follow those guidelines and remember my Core and not going down as far!
16.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.