Pulllups, Chinups & Inverted Rows with bars

aqua girl

Cathlete
Since I have been able to get my bars in the house and finally play with a little, I have tried the
inverted rows, chinups & Pullups with them. For any of those 3, I do connect them, it just makes it
more sturdy IMO. I keep one bar higher (with 2 holes showing at top) and the other a little lower,
with 1 hole showing) The higher one works well for vertical chinups/pullups and the lower for
horizontal ones, and the inverted rows, which of course, both sides need to be at the lower height,
at least for me. I did pretty good on my practice run, and it helps there were only 8 reps!

Someone mentioned they do elevated push-ups on theirs. It didn't work for me with just one bar, even placing it against a wall - have you tried them with the 2 connected?

No, I haven’t attempted that yet! :). Do you mean standing push-ups up against the bar?
it probably wouldn’t be too stable With just 1 bar, but hooking them together would make it more stable I am pretty sure…..You could then put the bars at 2 heights so you could mix it up…..like in one of the FitTower workouts, she does 3 sets of push-ups, changing the bar height on the tower each time….you could at least have 2 height changes….when I do that particular exercise, I am using the tower so I just adjust the crossbar like she does.

I made a couple changes on mine…..on 1 bar I have 2 holes showing at the top which
is higher and will use this height for barre, vertical chin-ups & vertical pull-ups.
The other one I put on the lowest adjustment meaning no holes showing at the top
& will try that for horizontal pullups & chinups. Will try that with inverted rows too, but
both bars will need to be even for the rows, so I will have to bring my taller one down for that particular exercise. I am short, so I think my arms are on the shorter side too.

No, I haven’t attempted that yet! :). Do you mean standing push-ups up against the bar?
it probably wouldn’t be too stable With just 1 bar, but hooking them together would make it more stable I am pretty sure…..You could then put the bars at 2 heights so you could mix it up…..like in one of the FitTower workouts, she does 3 sets of push-ups, changing the bar height on the tower each time….you could at least have 2 height changes….when I do that particular exercise, I am using the tower so I just adjust the crossbar like she does.
So you think they'd be stable enough using them at 2 different heights for pushups (as in FitTower TB) - so I could do 2 levels, then the floor for the 3rd or repeat a level for the 3rd set. I was thinking I'd need to put one hand on each bar, like with inverted rows ... guess I'll need to experiment... :)

Oh, I thought you were talking about facing 1 bar doing push-ups against. Like
in FT workout, she faces the bar doing the push-ups. I think facing one bar with
both attached would be sturdy enough with the other bar connected, cause you
have some weight there.

Oh, I thought you were talking about facing 1 bar doing push-ups against. Like
in FT workout, she faces the bar doing the push-ups. I think facing one bar with
both attached would be sturdy enough with the other bar connected, cause you
have some weight there.
Yup, that was what I was wondering ... if they could be used facing, so 2 different levels, or if they needed to be sideways so you had one hand on each bar. It does not work facing if only one bar is used (unconnected). I'll be experimenting... :)

Ok, just for your reference, on those drop set push-ups in FT TB, she starts on a “3”, &
that is approximately 20 in from the floor. Next is down to 2, & that is about 16 1/2”
from floor & down to 1, it is 13 1/2 in from floor. Of course, on the bars, you’ll start
& be higher, but you could use the other side (lower bar) to drop down and finish 3rd set
on floor. Just an idea

Ok, just for your reference, on those drop set push-ups in FT TB, she starts on a “3”, &
that is approximately 20 in from the floor. Next is down to 2, & that is about 16 1/2”
from floor & down to 1, it is 13 1/2 in from floor. Of course, on the bars, you’ll start
& be higher, but you could use the other side (lower bar) to drop down and finish 3rd set
on floor. Just an idea
Thanks! I had no real idea how high/low those drop sets are. So the 26" bar height(lowest it goes i think), a 14" inch step and my squat rack set up at ~18" would be a possible. Or squat rack, step and floor would be a better comparison.

Ok, I did one more test for you….. I connected them and tried push-ups standing
facing each bar, one higher, one lower and they didn’t move or tip. And I am on carpet.
Oh good! I currently use the bar attached to the back wall for wall push-ups (my knee still can't take floor/knee nor full-out pushups yet). But they're too easy - I was hoping the lower bar would give me a little more challenge. I was thinking of trying to rig up using the Boss Band to make it more challenging so I wouldn't have to move my step bench away from the squat rack (lazy, I know, but all those risers and topper have to be totally cleared out to use the squat rack/bodybar set up - hence partly why I purchased the dip bars.) :rolleyes:

I have fooled with the bars a little more and while it is easy to connect & change height of
bars, it's not something I want to do often :) so, I know it will be a long time, if ever, that
I will do the dips on them and while I can do the inverted rows, I'm not a big fan of that
exercise, and I have to change height of higher bar to be able to do them, so if I do that
exercise, I will probaby do the tubing option. I want to keep one bar higher and one
lower so I am ready for vertical/horizontal chinups/pullups and all I have to do is connect,
if those exercises are in the particular workout I am doing, and I want to keep one bar
higher for barre. of course, that plan might change depending on what is in the new
workouts and use of bars :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.