Pull Up Assist Band Recommendations?

MomInVT

Cathlete
I'd like to buy a band to assist pull ups/chin ups. I can do several unassisted chin ups and 1-2 unassisted pull ups, but my current program has chin ups in rep/set ranges I'm not capable of doing unassisted (and later in a workout when I'm fatigued). I'd like to buy one band (for starters at least) to assist -- can someone recommend a brand and tension level (I guess somewhere in the 'light-to-moderate tension' range? But feel free to advise me here) at a reasonable price?
I see several brands with good reviews at a fine price on Amazon, and I imagine any such brand would be fine, I just don't know how much resistance I need...
(As always, pink sparkly workout gear preferred! ;) Just kidding...)
TIA!
Roz

You go Nancy you will do great.
I was just discussing pull up a minute ago! Please keep us posted on how you are getting on.

All the very best.

Got a bit overzealous with my pull-up progression and strained my left forearm/elbow :( last week. I thought I could go down to just the heavy band and really struggled to do 2 reps! So of course I really struggled my way through 5 sets of 2 reps o_O...dumb dumb dumb! From now on I will be happy to do my full assist pull-ups with both bands when I feel like I have healed enough. Right now I have to watch out for moves that hurt that arm: lateral shoulder raises and upright rows from RWH C,Sh,T caused a bit of sharp pain so I dropped down to a light weight. I know this will get better soon, but I feel like I should have known better than to aggravate a sore muscle/tendon :oops:.

Got a bit overzealous with my pull-up progression and strained my left forearm/elbow :( last week. I thought I could go down to just the heavy band and really struggled to do 2 reps! So of course I really struggled my way through 5 sets of 2 reps o_O...dumb dumb dumb! From now on I will be happy to do my full assist pull-ups with both bands when I feel like I have healed enough. Right now I have to watch out for moves that hurt that arm: lateral shoulder raises and upright rows from RWH C,Sh,T caused a bit of sharp pain so I dropped down to a light weight. I know this will get better soon, but I feel like I should have known better than to aggravate a sore muscle/tendon :oops:.

Oh no Nanbo! I definitely feel for you! I'm glad you are keeping a positive mind and maybe just take it to a walking level. Let the muscle/tendon heal.
Sending you {{{{{feel better}}}}} vibes......

Does anyone have the link that was on the Cathe forums about a year ago of a YouTube video showing a lady use a regular band as a pull-up assist? I used to have it bookmarked but lost all my bookmarks several months ago.

All I remember is it was a link posted by a Cathlete. The video was of a blonde woman in a gym using a regular band to do an assist. I believe she held on to the band and the pull up bar with both hands and put both feet/knees in the band.

Thanks.

Bumping...

Nancy how are you doing? Have you recovered from forearm and elbows strain?
Hope you are.

I would like to share an article which contain good forms-pointers for Pull up.
Enjoy reading everyone.

http://www.bodyrock.tv/fitness/train-pull-5-exercises-woman-can-use/
HI Nathalie!
My arm is still limiting my ability to do pull-ups :(. I find upright rows equally painful. Thanks for the tips on progressing to pull-ups; I did these to get to the point of doing the band assist type. I took a look at an article Bret Contreras posted (yes, the guy we all love to hate!:p) from a guy who had an interesting take on pull-ups. I'm going to give it a try when I feel up to it! Here's the hyperlink:
http://bretcontreras.com/pull-ups-m...an+the+Hip+Thruster+Hold,+and+Get+Glutes+Sale

HI Nathalie!
My arm is still limiting my ability to do pull-ups :(. I find upright rows equally painful. Thanks for the tips on progressing to pull-ups; I did these to get to the point of doing the band assist type. I took a look at an article Bret Contreras posted (yes, the guy we all love to hate!:p) from a guy who had an interesting take on pull-ups. I'm going to give it a try when I feel up to it! Here's the hyperlink:
http://bretcontreras.com/pull-ups-made-easier-and-better/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bretcontreras&utm_content=Pull Ups Made Easier, Long Term Plan for Deadlift, Partner Workout, New Glute Activation Drill, How Much Can the Hip Thruster Hold, and Get Glutes Sale

I am sorry to hear your arm has not healed from the strain. Wish you a prompt healing.:):)
As to Mr glute, I have just read another of his article on Glute of course.
I read the pull up article in the past and thanks
for adding it here. I will definitely take on board forms and pointers from any link. As long as it come from
reputable source of course:p

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.