PUB/PLB Pyramid System Question

HipChick

Cathlete
I usually do each of these workouts in their entirety but I noticed that they contain premixes that might fit nicely into my schedule if I want to add some cardio every now & then or simply don't have time for the full workout. Here's my question. Is one (up-only or down-only) more beneficial than the other? Does the up-only work your muscles more effectively than the down-only or vice-versa? Or is it much more beneficial to do these workouts as designed, using the full pyramid? Just curious since these premixes would fit so nicely into a tight schedule. TIA!

I always do the pyramid down premix. That way I can lift as heavy as I am able and go down from there. If I start light, I find I can't go as heavy once I am at the top of the pyramid.

Lori

I like the bonus combo that works both upper and lower in an hour. It's great.

Debbie

I don't want to take a pill. Go to Africa, go follow some bushman around. He's being chased by a lion. That's stress. You're not going to find a pygmy on Paxil, I'll tell you that right now.
-Ellen Degeneres

Thanks Lori & Deb.

Lori - I once found some advice regarding how to lift heavier & it said to start with the heaviest weight you can handle, even if you can only do 2 reps. So your advice for the pyramid down would agree with this advice & it makes sense to me since I've been able to increase the amount of weight I lift using this advice too.

Deb - I don't think I've ever tried that bonus combo before but I definitely need to give it a try when I'm doing a rotation that calls for total body weights on one of the days. I love these workouts. Thanks!

I've sometimes done the 'pyramid down' mix, using the same weight throughout (the 'middle' weight, which makes the first set easy--like a warm-up, the second set about right, and the third set tough. I read about a workout like this in Muscle and Fitness, and thought it sounded interesting).

The concern I would have with doing the pyramid down starting heavy would be that the muscles aren't warmed-up and prepared for heavy weights. When you work heavy weights in a gym, you usually do a warm-up set or two--the heavier you go, the more warm-up sets. So if I would do this, I might do an additional warm-up set (light weight, not near failure) before diving into the heavy weights).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.