PT certification in 3 1/2 months?

workingToBeFit

Cathlete
I am wondering if it would be possible to get a worthwhile personal training certification in about 3 1/2 months, from a reputable certification agency. I am a university teacher (computer science) and next summer I will not be teaching, by choice, for the first time in many years. So I am thinking, maybe that summer would be a good time to pursue my interest in fitness personal training. Does anyone know if I could do it in this time period? Also I remember reading what the "top three" certification agencies were somewhere in the forums - but now the only one I recall, I think, is ACSM. Does anyone recall what the other two were, or have their own recommendations? My "dream" for when I quit teaching would be to do personal training, especially with seniors who need extra help in this area. I would love to hear what others have to say about all this. Thank you in advance.

I have my NASM PT certification, I think it is one of the best - and they require you to take the test within 4 months.
Good luck!

I became a PT in 5 months and became certified by ACE. Cathe is actually an ACE PT! It's a very respected certification. You can do it in 3 months but I found that studying and working at the same time was tough, so I took the longer route.
good luck

Hi, I think it's a great idea. :)

I'm an ACE-certified PT and Weight Management Coach. ACE is very well known and respected and a great entry-level certification. The time frame really depends on your knowledge base of anatomy, exercise and movement, nutrition, along with other things. ACE does not require you to take the test in a certain time frame--which is good and bad. Bad because you can keep putting it off! I finally scheduled and paid for the exam so I'd be locked into a time frame to finish. Being a mom and working full-time provides plenty of excuses not to get it done. ;)

I have the study materials for ACSM, which is MUCH more challenging than ACE. A lot more research/science based reading. I plan on getting my ACSM cert next year.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.