Provide modifications for sliding exercises

Kellyro77

Cathlete
I'm not a fan of the sliding exercises, namely because I am on carpet. I usually try to modify on my own, but if you do future exercises using sliders, could you consider having one of your cast show non-slider modifications (ie: you might have better modification suggestions than what I can come up with). Thank you!

I love sliders, but I had an issue - even though I had a vinyl floor in my 'workout' room, it was a little textured, just enough to make either side of the sliders not work that well. I find dusters work best for me but I'm looking to buy a carpet style rug so I can use the smooth side of a slider.

I bought a smallish (5x7) rug for sliders as we have foam mats over vinyl & sliders don't work great on either. But on that small piece of low-pile carpet, thev work great. The rug was on sale during "back-to-school" specials for dorm rooms, so inexpensive & small enough to pull out when needed.

Having Scoliosis and a hip replacement prevents me from going down too far during sliding exercises. I would love to see more modifications for these exercises as well as some of the jumping exercises. Fortunately, I have been exercising for may years so I can come up with modifications on my own. And Cathe provides many modifications on most of her exercises, however if she had someone on the side doing just modifications I think it may help many of us that are aging and have so many challenges.

Another vote on not loving slider work :)

I don’t mind the standing rear sliding or side sliding lunges, you can pretty much control those moves, but I totally dislike cardio moves with the sliders and core plank moves with sliders…. Doing core like seated mermaids and seated oblique twists are great with
them.

I just got some new workouts (not Cathe) and they use sliders a lot and I just can't make them work on my floors. The sliders I have are hard shiny plastic one side and some kind of fabric the other. They half-work on hard floor but on the carpet rug, even using the smooth side, they won't move...no idea why. They were pretty cheap though. I'm wondering if the original Mindy Myrlea core sliders are better, seen them on EBay and they're not pricey but certainly cost more than the supermarket ones I have....just reluctant to buy more equipment that I can't use.
I'm in UK so buying from the US just adds extra duty costs.

I just got some new workouts (not Cathe) and they use sliders a lot and I just can't make them work on my floors. The sliders I have are hard shiny plastic one side and some kind of fabric the other. They half-work on hard floor but on the carpet rug, even using the smooth side, they won't move...no idea why.

Someone suggested using furniture polish on the smooth side...maybe that would work on your sliders?

I get Jessica Smith's newsletter & today's focus is on using "slide & glides". She also has a free "Calm Cardio Slide & Glide" YouTube video on her channel if anyone's interested in trying a less intense low-impact cardio to become more confident in using sliders for cardio.

I get Jessica Smith's newsletter & today's focus is on using "slide & glides". She also has a free "Calm Cardio Slide & Glide" YouTube video on her channel if anyone's interested in trying a less intense low-impact cardio to become more confident in using sliders for cardio.
It's Jessica's workouts I've been trying - her new bundle has a set of three 30 minute slide workouts, all barefoot (they're all good) but the problem with my floor texture/cheap sliders persists! She also uses them a fair amount in her Lift & Shift package from last year but the moves are all fairly slow (you're meant to go heavy on those) so it works a little better for me. I find that depending on the move, I have to switch between dusters and the sliders. Going to buy some of the original Mindy Mylrea ones from EBay and if they don't work, I'll just muddle through as I have been :)

Pippi, try paper plates or plastic plates - we used those before we got Cathe's brand (she doesn't sell them anymore). But i think the key is finding the right combination of slider and flooring ... if you don't have hardwood or some smooth vinyl, a small low pile carpet piece works. If you have any throw rugs around the house, give them a quick try with a slider.

Pippi, try paper plates or plastic plates - we used those before we got Cathe's brand (she doesn't sell them anymore). But i think the key is finding the right combination of slider and flooring ... if you don't have hardwood or some smooth vinyl, a small low pile carpet piece works. If you have any throw rugs around the house, give them a quick try with a slider.
Thank you!!

I did not love slide and glide work at first. It’s harder, it’s awkward. But the burn you get made me stick with it. It’s a great way to strengthen your body without high impact or added weight on your joints. It also improves balance. I love it. If you don’t like it, practice. You may find you do. If you still don’t, you can just tap your feet instead of sliding them. Pretty simple modification.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.