Post-partum ab work

giacchina

Sheila/Cathe -

I want to start seriously working on my abs (I'm 2 months post-partum). If I actually find the time to do it, is there anything I shouldn't do? In general, is there anything I shouldn't do (specific to being post-partum)?

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I would strongly suggest that you purchase "Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year" by Elizabeth Noble. In it you will find the basic postpartum rehab program for both abdominals and pelvic floor. It is essential that you find out if your rectus abdominus (outermost layer of abdominal mucles) is separated (i.e diastasis recti). If it is separated, you should be performing the rehab exercises diligently before you attempt ANY traditional abdominal work. We teach our clients, as well as the instructors going through our Perinatal Fitness Instructor Training Course, the correct procedures to rehab the abdominals and pelvic floor in order to avoid future problems. First of all, the abdominal muscle wall must be shortened before it can be strengthened. Think of how far it stretched during your pregnancy. Elizabeth Noble's book will guide you in the right direction.

Keep us posted with regard to your progress.

Sheila Watkins

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.