Possibly got Trojans and a virus from cathe.com

TRSTACIE

Cathlete
Hello all,

There is a thread going on in the Ask Cathe section about receiving notification about an attack on your system when going to the forums. It is quite possible that if you are receiving these message that you have a trojan or two on your system and the internet secuirty virus. This happened to me last night but luckily I write software for a living so knew what to do to fix it. I posted here how I got my system back to working order.

http://cathe.com/forum/f95/reported-attack-page-virus-288262/index3.html#post2135059

Good luck!

I did get several of those messages the other day, but my security is pretty hardcore and blocked it everytime. At least I hope so!

Thanks for the heads-up! I will do an extra scan just to make sure!

Pam

It happened because poor Cathe's server probably got infected with something. It's not her fault. In fact, malicious people often target sites such as this one with a high amout of traffic for the simple purpose that it is then easier to infect more people. As a fellow programmer, I find it deplorable that such intelligent and skilled people choose to use their gifts to harm others rather than for good. Of course, it's only a subset that does this but it still grates on me.

The malware was found hidden in a link in the database for our open discussion forum and has now been removed. Tonight we will do an upgrade to our forums that will hopefully prevent this from ever happening again. Sorry for the inconvenience, these kinds of problems are rare on our site, but also difficult to prevent 100% of the time.

The malware was found hidden in a link in the database for our open discussion forum and has now been removed. Tonight we will do an upgrade to our forums that will hopefully prevent this from ever happening again. Sorry for the inconvenience, these kinds of problems are rare on our site, but also difficult to prevent 100% of the time.

THANK YOU SNM!! I have been getting more and more messages about a possible attack. ITA about using one's skills & talents for helping not hurting people for no apparent reason! Makes aboslutely no sense, whatsoever!

Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.