Please stop screaming during Live workouts.

roxynut

I have followed Cathe faithfully, and loved her and her crews. But, this yelling/screaming in the Live workouts are getting obnoxious! I appreciate enthusiasm, but today's screaming took it to a whole new level. I don't want to hear children or adults screaming. Can't enjoy my workouts. Hope it doesn't continue or I will cancel my membership.

I have followed Cathe faithfully, and loved her and her crews. But, this yelling/screaming in the Live workouts are getting obnoxious! I appreciate enthusiasm, but today's screaming took it to a whole new level. I don't want to hear children or adults screaming. Can't enjoy my workouts. Hope it doesn't continue or I will cancel my membership.
Gosh, I hardly ever notice it!! I guess I am just totally focused on keeping up with Cathe and making sure I don't miss a cue that I tune almost everything else out. Only screaming I notice is my muscles or lungs! Good thing there are the DVDs to fall back on if it gets to be too much for you. I just feel fortunate that I get to be a guest in Cathe's gym every week when living in CA makes it impossible otherwise.

Gosh, I hardly ever notice it!! I guess I am just totally focused on keeping up with Cathe and making sure I don't miss a cue that I tune almost everything else out. Only screaming I notice is my muscles or lungs! Good thing there are the DVDs to fall back on if it gets to be too much for you. I just feel fortunate that I get to be a guest in Cathe's gym every week when living in CA makes it impossible otherwise.
Hard to hear her cues with the constant screaming. There's a way to answer "are you feeling it" without screaming in response. The professionals on the DVDs, and many ladies "in the house" don't respond by yelling. They give verbal answers ,or pleasantly shake there heads yes or no. I've been in many group classes, and that's not how we conduct ourselves as mature adults. Especially, since these workouts are public, and coming into our homes, and viewed around the world. In a private class, that may be acceptable. But, this isn't behind closed doors
Respectfully,

We are all entitled to our opinion. I, for one, truly enjoy the energy and excitement from Cathe's Live crew. I feed off of the enthusiasm. It propels me forward to know that we're all feeling it and that, as Cathe says, "we're in this together." I think the crew feedback would bother me if it was a part of the DVDs, but Live is unscripted and has the boisterous vibe that I expect (and love) about real-time group fitness.

I enjoy comments and enthusiasm too. I've been working out with Cathe since the 90s, and been doing Live since they started. It's only been within the last month or so that 1 or 2 people in particular are screaming as a resonse. I, and others, just don't enjoy it every 2-3 minutes. I have a brain tumor that affects my hearing. Constant screaming or yelling is unpleasant. I'm not asking for silence.
Respectfully,
Cathlete

I agree with mrsctoo - different strokes for different folks! I like the encouragement Cathe gives during her Live classes as it keeps me motivated (and makes me laugh) but I understand that other people may feel differently. To each his own! I for one am grateful that Cathe has allowed us to enjoy her Live workouts and to join along but again... what works for some may not work for others. :)

Screaming isn't motivation.....it's a distraction.

Hi roxynut, back when we first started making videos 30 years ago we were surprised to learn that many home exercisers found "wooing" to be like fingernails on a chalk board. In a live high energy gym class "wooing" and making some noise is typical and all part of what normally happens in a class. In our production videos we edit out woos because we realize that working out in the privacy of your own home is different than being here at our Gym. But Cathe Live is different and is not edited, hence we can't remove woos. Cathe Live is also not rehearsed, scripted or in any way planned. Whatever happens, happens. It is true reality TV. Still, you should not have any issues clearly hearing Cathe as none of the class members are miked and the single shotgun mike we use for background noise is set to a small fraction of Cathe's mike.

I actually chuckled because if I do a Live class, it wakes up my husband who is down a hall and separated by 2 more rooms. His door is closed but the workout room's door has to be open so internet doesn't cut out (even with a router). I don't do them anymore because of the loud "whoo-hoos" that wake him up. Love the classes but it's not fair to him. He is much happier and sleeps better if I stick with dvds.

I was rubbernecking' on the last Cathe Live - might have to do that one over again! And yes the leg segment was demanding.....the "yelling/screaming" that I heard in the last Cathe Live was awfully faint. I'm wooing louder on my end that's for sure. Anyways, I'm sure Cathe can request that the ladies at the gym refrain from any sound effects and just grin and bear it.;):cool: however it's not a deal breaker for me. Their beautiful smiles can surely motivate us in the same fashion as they have been doing since Cathe Live #1.

Is there anyway that she can turn the volume down low and still be able to follow Cathe's cues? I understand she has a condition that this aggravates.

I work out at 5 or 5:30 in the morning and don't turn the volume up very high but can still follow along by watching Cathe's non-verbal cues. She will usually demo the move and then point which direction she's going to go.

I actually chuckled because if I do a Live class, it wakes up my husband who is down a hall and separated by 2 more rooms. His door is closed but the workout room's door has to be open so internet doesn't cut out (even with a router). I don't do them anymore because of the loud "whoo-hoos" that wake him up. Love the classes but it's not fair to him. He is much happier and sleeps better if I stick with dvds.
Thanks for having a sympathetic side/ear. I knew it wasn't just my husband and me that hears it. Love Cathe, but not the screams.

I beleive this is how Cathe communicates with the in house people. She always says, “how we doing in the house?”, and I think the whoops are to let her know they are still alive!
I absolutely agree. I think if you have that much breathe left for screaming, you're not working out hard enough too. Lol

I agree with mrsctoo - different strokes for different folks! I like the encouragement Cathe gives during her Live classes as it keeps me motivated (and makes me laugh) but I understand that other people may feel differently. To each his own! I for one am grateful that Cathe has allowed us to enjoy her Live workouts and to join along but again... what works for some may not work for others. :)
Exactly @kathydaffy. If it bothered me, for whatever reason, I would just stick to DVDs. I can't imagine asking an instructor or class to modify behavior that I found distracting. I would make the adjustment on my end.

When I saw this thread I was worried that the Cathletes in the class might take it to heart and stop whooping! I find it motivating - it makes me feel like I am part of the energy and camaraderie of a live class, but without the need go out on a day like today to scrape the ice off my windshield. Its one reason I prefer the live classes to the On Demand workouts most days.

One thing I have noticed is that when I start a live class on my TV through Apple TV, I have to lower the volume immediately or the dog hides under the sofa - my normal tv-watching volume settings are way too loud for the Cathe Live workouts. Maybe try turning down the volume a little more? I haven't had a problem hearing Cathe's cuing with the volume down really low. And thank you, to all you ladies (and gents) who work out ilive with Cathe - I really enjoy your spontaneity and enthusiasm!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.