Piyo

I hear a lot of positive feedback regarding Piyo. Any negative? I'm interested in it as a "Christmas Present" and I'd like to know the negative feedback so I can make a decision. I'm getting Cathe's Ripped with Hiit for a "Birthday Present" and I love to mix things up.

Hi Justine:

the main comment that I keep seeing about Piyo is that it is helping people increase their flexibility. Yes, it is fun, they are enjoying the workouts, but in terms of benefits to the physical body, flexibility seems to be where it is at. Flexibility is one of the primary objectives of yoga. Travis Elliot is a yogi, Charlene J is not. If you have Ultimate Yogi, you are all set. I have Travis' set which I picked up for an incredible price. I see no discounts anywhere on this Beachbody item and some of the individual workouts sell for $20+ for a 30 min workout! Staggeringly expensive really. These are facts. You decide. I'm sticking with Travis myself and re-committing myself to introducing yoga into my fitness regime with someone who knows what he is doing. This is my stance, and it is helping me not get my credit card out!

Clare

I hear a lot of positive feedback regarding Piyo. Any negative? I'm interested in it as a "Christmas Present" and I'd like to know the negative feedback so I can make a decision. I'm getting Cathe's Ripped with Hiit for a "Birthday Present" and I love to mix things up.

I've read a lot of positive feedback too, and am considering this for Xmas too, never too early, I say...:D

I recently did the 40 minute stretch workout from Turbofire, and found it to be a really good stretch, even the very first time. I am really not that bendy, but do like a good stretch. Yoga, all kinds, Travis's also, I find more challenge less, reward...more like a workout, sometimes a really good workout, but sometimes also makes me feel like I don't "get" yoga.

Can anyone tell me whether or not Piyo is like the 40 minute stretch in Turbofire? If I like that, would I like Piyo? I guess what I'm asking, and maybe you could clarify for LasvegasFitGirl, do you get the ahhh factor from Piyo? Or is it more of a challenging pilates/yoga work out? That isn't bad, BTW, just a different kind of thing.

I've read a lot of positive feedback too, and am considering this for Xmas too, never too early, I say...:D

I recently did the 40 minute stretch workout from Turbofire, and found it to be a really good stretch, even the very first time. I am really not that bendy, but do like a good stretch. Yoga, all kinds, Travis's also, I find more challenge less, reward...more like a workout, sometimes a really good workout, but sometimes also makes me feel like I don't "get" yoga.

Can anyone tell me whether or not Piyo is like the 40 minute stretch in Turbofire? If I like that, would I like Piyo? I guess what I'm asking, and maybe you could clarify for LasvegasFitGirl, do you get the ahhh factor from Piyo? Or is it more of a challenging pilates/yoga work out? That isn't bad, BTW, just a different kind of thing.

I returned mine. I found it kind of boring and not very challenging. The first 2 workouts are very beginner so not very useful. Nothing new that I could see. Go to videofitness.com and you will find lots of discussion and opinions.

I like PiYo. It's true, the first two workouts are a joke. But, once you get into workouts like Drench, Sweat, Hardcore on the Floor, and the Strength workouts using the gliding disks, it can be very challenging. Especially if you are not very "bendy." I like the fact that the workouts are between twenty and forty five minutes. My arms have become very defined. I have an "iron core" now, and it fits my schedule. An hour straight workout is a thing of the past for me. I have thirty minutes before work, and thirty to 45 minutes after work. Chalene J annoys me, however, I find her tolerable in PiYo. I bought it on a whim, and I have not been disappointed. Now the negative. In the whole set, there are about six to eight of the workouts that I do on a regular basis. The others have become too easy. I love Ultimate Yogi, however the weekend is the only time I have for it. I bought my PiYo from Mary @ totalfitnessdvds.net. I bought the main program, the two strength workouts, (gliding disks) and Mary sent Hardcore on the Floor as a gift. I didn't need the deluxe set, I already had a yoga mat and Cathe's gliding disks. Hope this helps with your decision.

It kinda sounds like what Horizontal Conditioning covers , and I have HC videos. I never do them. Maybe I could buy just one of the harder ones to give it a whirl. I'm really not a yoga girl. I could do STS over and over and over and over...

Yea, I hear ya. I'm not really a yoga girl either. I could lift weights forever. However, my body needed some flexibility. It was not one of natures gifts to me. Now I try to work in the yoga and PiYo regularly. It was hard at first, but has become easier, and I like it.

Karen

So is PiYo cardio based or is it only stretching? I like yoga and stretching but all mine are 45 mins or longer. I want something shorter but still works you good. I have Cathe's stretch max dvd but sometimes it just doesn't hit everything in only one workout.

Piyo is a different workout from anything I have. I do Cathe workouts religiously for cardio and weights. You can't beat them! I have taken Pilates classes (2 a week) for 6 years. Pilates strengthens your core differently than abs sections at the end of workouts. It's deep core strengthening. I've never been a Yoga person, but recognize I need more flexibility and balance work. Piyo was recommended to me by Cathletes who I respect. I have found it to be a really good program to ADD to my program. It won't replace any of it. I love the power, flowing yoga moves that really focus on body weight strengthening moves. Its moves are very controlled (like Pilates). Yes, the first few workouts are easy for Cathletes, but I think they are designed to build strength in people who may not have it and get them prepared for the later, tougher workouts. That's fair. I also needed to learn the poses for correct alignment. That's a good thing. I like to learn. If you are interested in adding a new dimension to your workouts, Piyo could be right for you. I'm really liking it. Glad I bought it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.