Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/19

just got back from a hike. I must have bumped my timer to off accidentally about 5.5 hours. elevation around 8500 feet at the end. saw deer and grouse and some bear wolf and moose footprints. it was really lovely. went with our neighbor. road to trailhead was horrid but the trail itself was nice, not too hard and just lovely. colors changing. sunny breezy, snow on peaks. whats not to love? I love this place!! we saw a few bow hunters on our way back but everyone was friendly and respectful.

Carolyn, I was a gym member at several different gyms before i learned how much better home workouts were. things that I like or dont like might not appeal to everyone.

We went hiking at a couple places yesterday. First we went to their old condo community and walked to the falls there. By Lake Toxaway. Then we stopped at Gorges State Park to mainly use the rest rooms. LOL Then we went to Whitewater falls. Today we are going to Pisgah National Forest. My sister was looking up possible trails last night and there are hundreds. It's over 500,000 acres, so she decided we'd just go to the Ranger Station and tell them what distance and difficulty we want and make them decide. :D And for someone who loves waterfalls, there are over 800 in this county!

Valerie I really don't care to meet the only large animal around here which are black bears. Though we have those in Michigan, too. As long as you don't corner them, especially Mom, it's generally pretty easy to scare them away. I've never seen any that weren't pretty far in the distance. My sister says you smell them before you see them, so when they smell them, they generally just turn around and go back. Most animal activity is at her place as they have white squirrels, other squirrels and deer. The deer finally showed up last night about 6 of them. It's not a main tourist season here right now, as they are aren't near color season yet, but I was glad I didn't need to stop at the Kentucky/Tennessee border because the Welcome Centers in both directions were crazy busy.

Carolyn the address here is Brevard, but it's about 15 minutes out and up. So, yes, Western North Carolina. Nice job with the Boss Bands Premix and PP Upper Body! I belonged to a couple different gyms years ago and I don't think I could do it again. I must say though that at least for cardio, I feel I push myself harder when other people are around.

9182A440-E07F-4E5E-8575-7DBAEBB6A607.jpeg38E8650E-5B30-49B6-8898-32AF4BC5E59D.jpeg

Last edited:
cathy risks go up in parks where visitors approach animals too closely, and where animals are accustomed to people and cars being around constantly. when we are hiking out in the wilderness/national forest animals are much less tolerant of people. they are just not visible and the best you get are footprints, or a glimpse in the distance. we are always happy to see something with binoculars or see tracks. all is as it should be. parks are way riskier for getting too close. parks have recommended distances that you not be within, but driving thru a park you see the rules violated constantly. here, bison are the most dangerous. its easy to get too close. you an walk around a corner and a bison is resting in the middle of the trail! time for a big detour. important to be aware of what's nearby especially in winter when snow slows everyone down. bears get accustomed to people as food source. cars and campgrounds proper food storage is sometimes ignored. I could scream when I see people feeding animals! a fed bear is a dead bear, etc. we've been close to black bears when hiking, but not dangerously close and always store our food properly so haven't had a problem.

exercise for me is a quiet process where I can focus on myself and what I'm doing. .gyms are distracting and the noise level is not OK cathy what a lovely waterfall.

No workout for me today. I’m doing some cleaning tasks around the house that I have been neglecting.

Valerie, that sounds like a great hike in your beautiful environment.

Cathy, you are in a wonderful place for hiking and sightseeing. The waterfall is gorgeous!

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

Yesterday , I woke up and both shoulders and elbows work throbbing. I got up and stretched and worked on it. I Finally got in a workout. I did Coffey Fit Raw Ripped and Ride September which I used the spin bike for and lower body. Kelly used 5 dumbbells, but I used 's. There is a lot of non weighted work in this one. I thought it would have me using very little of my shoulders and arms. This was 47 minutes, heart rate 119/149, 199 calories, 1,637 steps. I then did Raw Glute Finisher with the medium strength fabric loop like Kelly's, 23 minutes, 66 calories, 882 steps. 97/147 steps. I finished off with CDorner 15 minutes, stretch mobility, 19 calories, heart rate 73/86. Total time 95 minutes, 284 calories, 2,519 steps.

Today I did CDorner Step#151, 59 minutes, 270 calories, heart rate 127/162, 4,414 steps. This was disco music. It was okay, I had a hard time at first getting my heart rate up for some reason. Maybe because of all of the allergy meds and upping the hydroxychloraquine to the 2 per day prescribed as I try not to take the full amount and usually use 1. I was wiped out when I went to bed last night. I also did Cathe Step Boss Total Body using the chapter menu and doing the warm up, lower body sections, and stretch, 30 minutes, heart rate 90/120, 75 calories, 608 steps. I finished off with CDorner Neck and Shoulder stretch 17 minutes, 18 calories, heart rate 70/79. I also did Cdorner Hips and upper back foam roller not using my watch. Total time 1hour 47 minutes, 363 calories, 5,022 steps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.