Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/8

I did a 40 min spin from Pedal Power today. really gets me breathing hard! I remember enjoying
burn sets and I have a lot of numbers recorded so I did it a lot for a while.

I used to do x train a lot. I tend to move on to the newest workouts and forget what I had been doing. I'm not buying the Step series. Ugh, my worst nightmare.
we're moving ahead on our bathroom remodel. wanted to get all the parts before starting, so the bathroom isn't out of commission for 6 months. the countertop arrived today at Lowes, looks nice. granite with an undermount sink. You can buy countertop/sink as a completed unit with holes drilled for the faucet. we were will put it on top an existing vanity. existing cabinet is good wood, matches other cabinets. toilet is next. then wallpaper. we will take off existing countertop, hopefully new one will sit right on top and cement in place. glue on the backsplash and side splash, get a faucet and we will be well on the way.

I keep my diet pretty low fat. only way to keep the calorie count down. I eat a lot of vegies and fruit, whole grain, dairy. my labs are very good. I would love to lose 10 lbs, but more vanity pounds than anything. I know what has worked for me and I stick with it. I' working at losing a few pounds this winter, haven't gained, but Ive gradually lost weight over many from a high point and would like to ease down a few more so jeans fit better.
diane sue, I think you would benefit from allergy testing to see if newer testing can tell you what causes all your symptoms. Hope the stress test goes well. I actually enjoyed getting an echocardiogram... the tech let me watch and it was really fascinating. I never had a stress test but I don't think they are that intense, and with the amount of exercise you do it will probably be nothing.

Deb, how are you? I hope you are getting the UTI handled.

Last edited:
Today I did a Hard Strikes timesaver, no conditioning. It was 35 minutes and 243 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 160.
I tried to do some shopping today in a brick and mortar store. It was so stressful that I left without buying anything! Back to my online shopping .

Valerie, your powder room project sounds like it will look great. I really like under mount sinks.

Hello to Diane Sue, Deb, Judy, and Lori. Have a wonderful day.

Today I did X Train All Out Low Impact Hiit, 39 minutes, heart rate average 143, max 176, 2973 steps, 248 calories, met 7.0. I then did Fit Split Low Impact Cardio Time saver skipping the warm up, 23 minutes, heart rate average 130, max 162, 1, 528 steps, met 7.5, 139 calories. I finished off with Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga back and chest flow, 21 minutes, met 2.0, 36 calories, heart rate 96 average, 140 max, 15 steps.
Total time was 83 minutes, 423 calories, 4,516 steps.
They called to set up my stress test and carotid ultrasound. At first I was going to do both the same day, but when I asked how long they said about 4 hours for both and my follow up dr visit. I decided to do one at a time. Both are next month. The stress test takes 2 hours o_O

Valerie, when we did our remodel and walled up a doorway from what is now the guest bath to the master, we had the new cabinet, sink, toilet and floor tiles all purchased and ready. It was a mess and lot of work though because we had to have a plumber come out and put plumbing in for the toilet in the guest bath which meant jackhammering to get down into the concrete and filling it back in. Also setting up the ducting so there was heat under the new cabinet. Otherwise my husband took out the door and walled it in and my husband helped move electrical. I love having the guest bath. Your project sounds like it will be really nice. I am not sure what they do for the stress test at this doctor's office. I have read about different ones and different time lengths. They told me to wear something comfortable like I would work out in and no caffeine before it along with an 8 hour fast. Since it is at 9 am not eating shouldn't be a problem. I will have my 1 cup of caffeinated coffee when I get home :) My 20 year old granddaughter saw this heart doctor and he did surgery to reroute her blood somehow from flowing into the pelvic area and making her pass out. The nurses were surprised to see someone so young doing a procedure that they usually have elderly people there for. We are hoping this takes care of her problem. They really liked this doctor. I think he talks too fast and seems a bit hyper or something. But, that was my first impression. He had me text his cell with my results and was right back with wanting me to have these tests. There was no hem hawing around which I guess is a plus. I am trying hard to cut the fats way back down, but figuring a way to get my weight back up is a bit difficult. I have pecan pie in the freezer I would love to have that my daughter left. Two slices, but I just can't go get them out and eat them. I will figure it out.

Carolyn, it is hard to concentrate on finding the right gift when people are in the way and all of the confusion. I much prefer shopping online. Although it is hard to shop for my husband on Amazon, even though I have his wish list, because he checks it. He will know whatever I buy. Not that it matters that much. I looked at a men's clothing catalog, but it wanted you to use their credit card and their return policy was kind of void if you didn't. I have to find him tall men clothes.

we were working on the powder room today, but I needed some errands run and Costco, jewelry store, PO. ended up short on time so I did Stacked upper body. I can get thru that one quickly because I know what weights I need and its paced fast and uncomplicated. .

our countertop and sink look great and sink is already "installed' in the counter top so we will just put it in place see how it looks. we will lay it on tomorrow to see if we need to adjust anything. it was not that expensive and is a nice piece of granite that blends with other countertops. took off old tile today but needed to build up a wall section so the backsplash sits flush. toilet is next.

so funny.... I have to work like a maniac and almost starve to lose weight, and it comes back if I even look at something caloric. I've tried to push my larger meals to early in the day. I can't even imagine having to "try" to gain. I can gain weight dreaming about eating cake. diane sue, when is your test? I would have trouble with no food and no coffee before 9, especially if I'm supposed to exercise. . I am so hungry when I wake up!

I do most of my shopping on line now too. I'm tired of going to stores and not finding what I need, and ending up home ordering it online anyway.

Good morning,

Busy week with wake, funeral etc. Hopefully things will be back to normal now. The culture for the UTI came back with same meds to use, so I was glad. I would be very nervous having to change anti-biotics in mid-stream, with C-DIF issues.

Valerie, Sounds like the bathroom remodel is going well. I feel the same about white things, I hate washing them. Most of our white stuff is sheets and underwear. I don't wear much of any regular clothes that are white. I use a powdered Oxiclean to clean our kitchen sinks. They are some sort of plastic material, built in to the counter top with no seams. We used to use soft scrub on them, on the advice of the installers, until we discovered that the shine was wearing off and stains were starting. :(. I just plug the sinks, fill with hot water and sprinkle the Oxiclean in the water. Leave for about 30 minutes and they are sparkling white again.

Carolyn, I ended up pre-ordering the Step Boss DVD that has that bonus ab workout, and the chair stretch. I may never do the step stuff, but you never know!

Diane Sue, I have had a couple of those stress tests. Like Carolyn mentioned, for mine they had me doing a treadmill. They hook you up with heart measuring things, then you use the treadmill. The hardest part is having to jump off the treadmill quickly so they can hook you up to the monitors while you are still out of breath. They do this a few times. We used to eat chicken wings a LOT when I was younger..( they invented them here so of course we did! LOL)..but we do not have them at all now. Maybe once every 2 years or so, if at a party or something. We never order them in a restaurant, or get them any other way. As I grew older, I started not liking any food that you had to pick up and eat. I eat pizza with a fork and knife, and also take off any meat from ribs and eat it with a fork and knife.

Judy, Sorry you felt badly after the shot. Hope you feel better. John just got the 1st Shingrix shot, so far no after effects.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I feel much better now. I went back to work yesterday and have been able to workout too. We are both off work today and will be doing some Christmas shopping and running errands. I'll be back later to post more.

Have a great Friday!

Judy

I've never had buffalo wings .. I love hot sauce. detest blue cheese. never thought I'd like them. we used to have barbecued chicken at home with a good barbecue sauce my mother made. she wasn't much of a cook but that was good. somehow the recipe got lost. it wasn't overly sweet, like sauces are now. a mess to eat. better with a knife and fork. now pizza is another matter. I adore pizza. veggie pizza usually. with onion, tomato, green pepper, mushroom, cheese, pineapple, hot pepper flakes. it's my favorite food. I haven't had any since last summer sometime. I can't leave it alone! I've had other versions and like chicken pizzas too. hate sausage, ham, any porky things. My mother got in angry fits when we got food on our clothes so messy foods didn't get served much.

that sounds like Corian with the counter and sink all one unit. my neighbor has that and she complained about it getting scuffed right away. my sinks are undermount porcelain. if DH would rinse the coffee after he dumps it, I wouldn't be cleaning sinks all the time. coffee stains quickly.
Deb do they give you any clue why you keep getting these infections?

Judy, did you end up taking a day off work?

This morning I did Pyramid Upper Body, up only premix. That was 43 minutes and 220 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 171.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Valerie-Yes, I called in sick on Tuesday. I felt horrible most of Tuesday but started feeling better by Tuesday night.

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday I didn't do any workouts. Wednesday I did 45 minutes of Peloton rides and the LiTe Pyramid Pump, Upper Body, Up Only premix. Yesterday I did a 20 minute ride and today I did a 60 minute ride. We got a letter about our 2020 insurance and one of the changes they made is that they will now cover the cost of the Shingrix vaccine if you are over 50. That's good news for us as Chris is planning on getting them next year too.

Deb-It's good that you don't have to change antibiotics. I hope the second Shingrix shot doesn't cause the same side effects for me. It's worth it though, not to get shingles.

Carolyn-Great job with Pyramid Upper Body. The LiTe version of that premix is only 30 minutes.

Valerie-Great workouts this week! I've been missing Cathe's spin workouts. I will have to do one soon.
I've been doing mostly XTrain and LiTe for strength lately.

Diane Sue-I had a stress test in 2016. They did some tests first, then I was on a treadmill for about 15 minutes. They did the echo right after that. I've also had the carotid ultrasound. It's part of the heart screening that Chris and get annually.

Hi to Lori,

Judy

This morning I did Cathe Lite Strong Body Stacked Sets Timesaver #8 which does not do shoulder. This was 28 minutes and I used Cathe's weights. heart rate was 110 average, 134 max, met 5.90, 118 calories, 624 steps. I then did Cathe Lite Abs 2, 10 minutes, heart rate average 110, max 136, 29 steps, met 5.0, 30 steps. I finished with Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga: neck and shoulder flow, 43 calories. Total time 57 minutes, 191 calories, 680 steps. I picked up my grandson from early release at school and have the two grandchildren staying with us the weekend while their parents are on an anniversary trip.
I got the report in the mail on the heart CT scan and they added that there was a nodule on my lung that showed and to make an appointment with a pulmonary doctor. My daughter says the size is not big. I wish all of these things would quit showing up.

Valerie the stress test is on January 3 and the carotid ultrasound is the 17th and a visit with the doctor. I guess I need to call a pulmonary doctor now. I bet you bath is looking great.

Deb, we had sinks that did that. I hated it. I also had a house with a gold plated sink and marble counter tops. I had to be so careful because the gold was wearing around the drain and the the countertops stained easily if something colored got on it. That seems a bit uncomfortable doing a treadmill with electrodes hooked up and getting off and on.

Judy, glad that you are feeling better. When I had the original Smart Heart test at my doctors office they did a bit of everything. It was a 2 hour test. It just sent me out for more tests. I am hoping it is all nothing serious.

Carolyn, nice work on Pyramid Upper Body.

Tee hee, not so great right now. the bathroom is a mess. wallpaper is off, sink and countertop gone, toilet to go today. its a small (tiny) room so wallpaper will go up first, then probably countertop, finally the toilet. even with the door off, there is only room for one. hard to work in there! we will be able to keep the floor though. hardwood. nice that we don't need to change that.

we went from formica to granite on the countertops. the formica tore when we had to replace a sink, so no choice on replacing it. I never liked Corian. looks pretty when new, the seamless sink/countertop is nice. gets worn looking so fast. granite is pretty forgiving and holds up. I like it better than manufactured stone. I wanted something that would hold up to normal everyday use. corian cost almost as much as granite (at the time) and in a few weeks it looked scuffed and used. my neighbor was very disappointed with hers.
I read about the staining problem with marble. it's beautiful but I didn't want to worry about red wine or spaghetti sauce causing stains.

that's a problem with very general screening tests. peoples bodies have flaws and aberrations especially by the time they get older. anything that shows up randomly that is not textbook perfect needs to be checked out. so you can maybe catch bad things early, but you end up having a lot of testing for things that will never amount to anything too. depends on what you are comfortable with.

I ended up taking yesterday off. we had a huge plant on a landing between floors. the plastic pot must have suddenly cracked, caused it to tilt, dropping it suddenly 15 feet onto the stairs, and then down at about 10:30 Thursday night. thought we had an earthquake! it was not near an edge so the pot must have split but no way to be sure afterwards.

I didn’t work out today. I had a meeting and a holiday brunch. I ran a couple of errands afterwards and I’ve been working around the house all afternoon. There is always so much to do that I often wonder how I ever found time for a full time job!

Judy, the original Pyramid Upper Body up only premix also includes an Ab segment. The upper body exercises are probably around the same length as Pyramid Pump that you did.

Diane Sue, there are so many medical issues to stay on top of. I agree with you that doctors seem to recommend more testing for Medicare eligible patients, but we also have more health problems.

Valerie, that small room remodel sounds like a lot of work. I’m sure that you will be happy with the results.

Hello Deb and Lori.

No workouts this weekend. I have been spending time with the grandchildren and my allergies are absolutely miserable. I will get back at it Monday.

Valerie, I really liked the granite we had in our kitchen and downstairs guest bath in our last home. It stayed nice and cleaned up well. That must have startle you when the plant and pot took a tumble. It is interesting how things just suddenly move like that.
I guess there are a lot of things they might discover once they start running tests for one thing or another. I have had things that I mentioned in the past when getting physicals and they never really seemed worried about. No tests or anything to check them out. For instance for a couple of years I had something that seemed to get caught up under my rib cage when I was getting up from lying on the floor and some ab workouts. Getting out of the bath. The doctor persisted in telling me there was nothing in that area to do that. It hurt, so I know there was something. Never was addressed and it stopped happening after awhile.

Carolyn, I often wonder how I ever got things done when I was doing daycare and raising my own children and all of the activities. I seem to always have so much to do and keep up with now and not enough hours in the day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.