Pace weights

zola1

Hopefully, someone can help me on this question. I purchased my pace weights about a year and half ago. I have started to noticed that some of the magnets are cracking. Has anybody who have the weights notice this problem? I went to their website, but they don't sell the magnets alone. For those who have the weights, what have you done. Thanks in advance.

Melissa

I bought my pace weights around the same time and I have not seen any cracking. Have you written to them? I would expect replacement weights if that happened to my set. I think you should write and include photos.

Thanks for your reply Michele. I sent them an email on Friday, but have not heard back yet. Hopefully, I will get a reply soon.

Melissa,

I purchased mine a year ago and just the other day noticed one of the magnets was cracking. I will be interested to hear what the company has to say about it.

I had the exact same problem with my pace weights soon after I started using them -- the magnets started cracking almost immediately. I've even lost a few small pieces of four or five (out of 18!) magnets. Then my DH came up with a solution to this problem. He securely wrapped all the magnets with the electrical tape (similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-EL7566-A...f=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265660104&sr=8-19), but he used 1.5 in.-wide tape -- that one fitted the magnets perfectly. Since then I didn't have a single problem with my pace weights and I've been using them three-four times per week for the last two years.

Hope this helps :)

I had the exact same problem with my pace weights soon after I started using them -- the magnets started cracking almost immediately. I've even lost a few small pieces of four or five (out of 18!) magnets. Then my DH came up with a solution to this problem. He securely wrapped all the magnets with the electrical tape (similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-EL7566-A...f=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265660104&sr=8-19), but he used 1.5 in.-wide tape -- that one fitted the magnets perfectly. Since then I didn't have a single problem with my pace weights and I've been using them three-four times per week for the last two years.

Could you post a photo of your weights demonstrating how you taped them? This is so strange! I'm glad the OP posted about this.
So far I haven't had an issue but I'll be keeping an eye out for it now.

Could you post a photo of your weights demonstrating how you taped them? This is so strange! I'm glad the OP posted about this.
So far I haven't had an issue but I'll be keeping an eye out for it now.

I cannot do that right now (I am at work), but I will post a photo of my pace weights tonight.

This is happening to mine as well! My SIL and I were just talking about this 'cause we were wondering if they were lighter without the little weight bits on them. Please let us know what the company says.

Thanks,
Laura

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. I did receive an email back, and this was the reply. He seems very honest, and concerned with the issue.

Hi Melissa,

The reason I asked is that we've discovered some of the first Pace Weights were improperly assembled by a subcontractor, with the result that some magnets have come loose from their castings. This problem generally shows up pretty quickly, however, and fortunately, the intact magnet can be easily reattached.

Chipping, flaking, or cracking of attached magnets is caused either by sharp impact or by sliding or scraping the internal magnet directly against another object, which can include the metal surface of another Pace Weight. This could be happening without your really realizing it, such as when stacking Pace Weights together. Accidents happen, of course, but if the chipping or flaking is only slight, it will not affect the functionality of the weights.

Pace Weights were designed for Paced Weight Training, which generally involves the use of larger weights having adequate space for attaching the magnets. You'll notice our instructions say to "Gently place Pace Weight against metal surface with both flanges against the surface to protect the internal magnet." The magnets are recessed between the flanges for this reason.

Some of our customers have discovered, however, that Pace Weights are handy for "microloading" small dumbbells, which involves placing the internal magnet directly against a dumbbell surface. If you use the weights in this way, we suggest you apply 2 or 3 layers of tape (such as matte finish Scotch tape) to the exposed surface of the magnets. This will not make the magnets impervious to impact, but it should help protect their surfaces from damage due to sliding. Then just be careful when you use them.

We're happy to hear you're still using your Pace Weights, for we want all our customers to enjoy the full benefits they have to offer. Please tell me how many of your weights have been damaged to the point of becoming unserviceable.

Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Lou Winans, President
Winans Athletic Company

www.paceweights.com

Anik,

I would also be interested in seeing how you tape the weights. Lou is suggesting Scotch tape, but I think electrical tape would be better. Thanks in advance.

Melissa

Here is a photo of my pace weights (I hope I've managed to attach it).

I highly recommend this method of securing magnets inside pace weights to prevent them from cracking and chipping. A couple of layers of electrical tape don't affect the magnetic properties of those pace weights.

One thing to consider before you do that with your pace weights, though: once you tapped the weights, you cannot quickly take the magnets out and use them by themselves as microloads...

I am happy to help :)

Attachments

• Pace Weights.jpg
    Pace Weights.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the picture. I am going to buy electrical tape, and do this. I like you, use my pace weights 3 -4 times a week.

Melissa

One thing to consider before you do that with your pace weights, though: once you tapped the weights, you cannot quickly take the magnets out and use them by themselves as microloads...
Do you mean you take the Pace weights apart and just use the magnets?

Do you mean you take the Pace weights apart and just use the magnets?

It was easy to do in my case -- my pace weights (well, most of them) fell apart very quickly and even though I personally didn't use internal magnets directly, I can imagine a situation when one might want to do that...

Here is a quote from Lou Winans' letter to Melissa:

Some of our customers have discovered, however, that Pace Weights are handy for "microloading" small dumbbells, which involves placing the internal magnet directly against a dumbbell surface. If you use the weights in this way, we suggest you apply 2 or 3 layers of tape (such as matte finish Scotch tape) to the exposed surface of the magnets. This will not make the magnets impervious to impact, but it should help protect their surfaces from damage due to sliding. Then just be careful when you use them.

Regards,

Lou Winans, President
Winans Athletic Company

www.paceweights.com

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.