Overheating, heart rate

swhitney

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-00 AT 03:54AM (EST)</font></center>

Dear Sheila,
I'm 23 years old and 24 weeks pregnant with my first child (a boy!!). I wrote back at 7 weeks when I was so miserable and sick. :) Now I have lots of energy and have been working out 5 days a week like I used to. I'm surprised to find I hadn't lost much of my fitness level.
My doctor quoted the "keep heart rate below 140" statement and hasn't said much to me about lifting weights other than "Don't lift more than 70 lbs.," which seems awfully arbitrary to me and I don't load my barbell nearly that heavy. I find that while doing aerobics, my heartrate regularly goes above 140, even if I'm barely breaking a sweat, and exercising above that rate is comfortable. Is it safe to go above that set number? The talk test works fine for me until well above that rate. Also, during weight lifting, my heartrate goes really high (I'm not going quite as heavy as I used to and not trying to increase weight at all). Is this safe, if I don't feel tired or too hot? What is the difference between a high heart rate during aerobic and anaerobic exercise?
What are the effects of a high heart rate/overheating on the baby? I drink plenty of water while exercising and keep the window open and I take breaks if I'm gasping or too warm, but I do like to challenge myself. I'd like to know how to best judge overexertion/overheating. I've read all kinds of guidelines for exercise and pregnant women, some of them have even recommended a heart rate of 110, but most of these seem to be for sedentary women, not women who have been exercising at an advanced level for several years. Others have said do something until it stops feeling good, but for me pushing myself feels good. :) I do modify some high impact and quick movements. I have not found "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" by James Clapp, but have read "Sports Fitness in Pregnancy," which talked more about safety in movements than heart rate-- it just mentioned avoiding overexertion.

Thanks!
Sara

Hi Sara!!

Hi Sara, I can't give you any good answers except anecdotal ones from my pregnancies, but I just saw "swhitney" and read this thread because I've been enjoying keeping up with your pregnancy! See, we all told you you'd feel better eventually, didn't we?? I know, it is so impossible to believe when you're feeling so sick that you will EVER be full of energy again! Glad to hear you're back up and at 'em AND how wonderful that you know it's a boy!! Just checking in with a little wave and a hello here. . .

Re: Overheating and Heartrate

Hi Sara,

I answered your question on Sunday, but somehow it didn't get posted. So here we go again.....

It is so good to hear that you are feeling good again. It sounds like you are doing great. As for your question regarding heart rate ... My recommendation, also that of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, regarding measuring exercise intensity is the same as it was when you posted at 7 weeks. You should be using “perceived exertion” (working out at a level between “fairly light and somewhat hard”) and the “talk test” (2-5 word sentences) to measure your exercise intensity during your cardio activities. The 140 Guideline has been gone since February of 1994 after much research showed that heartrate was not a valid intensity indicator during pregnancy. I still recommend the book by James Clapp, III – “Exercising Through Your Pregnancy.” This is the most up to date book out there on the subject. It is unfortunate that there are still many books out there with antiquated information on this subject (i.e. the one that you found with the 110 heartrate in it!) You can get Dr. Clapp’s book at BUY.com on the internet for the same amount (including shipping) that you could buy it in your local store.

It is very important that you stay hydrated and listen to your body for ANY discomfort while exercising during both cardiovascular and strength training. You said that you stop when you are “gasping” while working with weights. You should not even get to that point while working out. You may need to drop the poundage or sets a bit to keep that from happening.
With these tips in mind, you can safely continue to work out. Give yourself permission to slow down if you need to. Remember, this is only a “season in your life.”

Sheila

Dr. Clapp's book

You can also find Dr. Clapp's book at Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com. It's about $3 cheaper at Amazon.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.