Outdoor Winter Runners! you need to...

Lynn M.

Cathlete
get a pair Yak Trax Pros!!

I got a pair of these for Christmas and I was able to test them out today on the snow covered roads in my neighborhood.

They are awesome!!! For those of you who aren't familiar with them, they are these "cleat" looking contraptions you strap on over your running shoes so that you can run on snow w/out worrying about slipping. They were about 45.00 and DH picked them up an outdoor store, but I think you can get them on line as well.

I even was able to run over some patches of ice and had great traction.

Not sure I would recommend running on something like black ice.. I think they would actually be good enough to not slip, but I would be worried about the cars sliding that we runners share the road with.

I'm so pumped... its sooo much better to log those miles outside than on the treadmill.. I might even like winter ( a little bit ) now! :)

Take care, Lynn M.

What do you wear to keep warm? I have Under Armor Cold Gear, but I need something to keep my face warm that won't a)make me look like I'm about to rob a bank and b) fog up my glasses.

On the really cold days, ( under 20 and windy) I do wear my bank robber ski mask. Yes, I totally look like a dork, but I don't care so much, since nobody knows who I am ;)

Otherwise, I wear a windbreaker type jacket that zips all the way up to my nose, a turtleneck and either a hat or headband. That way only a little bit of my cheeks are exposed.

I've got a couple of pairs of warm weather type running pants that seem to do the trick as far as keeping my legs warm.. I've also run in long underwear w/ regular old workout pants over them.

Lynn M.

Thanks for the heads up!

I basically give up running outside (and don't do it inside) for the winter months because I don't like snow/ice patches and I'm afraid of falling!

So they are comfortable? It doesn't feel bumpy to run?

Chris-

They are totally comfortable... you can kinda/sorta feel them when you are on pavement but once you hit the snow/icy stuff you don't even know they are on.

They also don't weigh hardly anything, so there isn't any issue with extra weight either.

I was told that there is a higher chance of them breaking if you run for extended periods of time on concrete, which I could see would be the case. I don't know how long they will last for me, but even if it gets me through this winter, its so worth it.

Take care, Lynn M.

PS.. Glad your Pork turned out ! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.