Other intense workouts?

Noliboli

Hi- I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about other intense exercise instructors/regimens? I've been doing Cathe for years (and still love her) but was wondering if P90X, turbo Jam, Amy Bento, Tracey Staehle, etc were worth the time/effort/expense (or any other suggestions). I hate buying a new DVD only to find it too easy or lame! Thanks everyone!

-Noel :)

Noel:

Personally, I enjoy and am challenged by all of the following and work them into my rotations:

Cathe - toughest and most varied and most heavy weights
Jari Love - different, more endurance, but a tough workout for sure
Turbo Jam - fun, fun, fun and a sweatfest
Tracey Staehle - not my favorite, but a good workout
PowerStrike - no weights, but an excellent kickbox sweatfest.
Tae Bo - Original Advanced and Get Ripped series are a kick in the pants and great cardio and fun!
Reebok Intense Moves and Extreme Step - Gin Miller is great and these two workouts are excellent interval workouts

That's about it for me! I'd love to hear others' suggestions!

Amy Bento - HLX or KBX - fun, intense cardio's with awesome premixes and good music. I also love Cardio Pump Step for a quick burst of step cardio followed by quick total body weight work. Advanced Step Challenge is an awesome, somewhat complex step workout that gets your heart rate up. The Power Up section is wonderful. The quality and sound isn't fab on the last two I mentioned b/c they were some of her first offerings. She continutes to get better. HLX and KBX are over an hour and have many workout options offered within the premixes. CPS and ASC are under an hour but they pack a lot of punch in under an hour. I love CPS and ASC so much that I ordered Cardio Pump Hi/Lo and it's on it's way to me.

I too enjoy Jari Love's Get Ripped to the Core, Get Ripped 1000, and Slim & Lean. They are different and may seem "easier" than Cathe, but they work my body in a unique way.

I love Tracey Staehle's High Intensity Step Mix and Core Strength and Conditioning. These are two of her first workouts and there are flaws in the delivery of the step workout, but I love her style, somewhat complex and total fun. She is trying to please a lot of people so I'm not sure what her newest step workout is going to be like. The clips look a lot different from what I was hoping to see based on HISM.

I find the TLT's challenging...not as overtly intense as Cathe. They are functional fitness and challenging in a completely different way, but there is a learning curve for sure. I traded away FYC but LOVE the other three....SIM, EFM, and BBBB.

Keep an eye out for future step boxing workouts by Kelly Coffey-Meyer. I love her current Step Boxing but only half of it is step boxing cardio. The other half is "sculpting" but I realized that I don't care for her style of sculpting. She is planning to make a couple of step boxing workouts in the future that will be all cardio. She moves at a fast pace and it is a ton of fun. I think the current Step Boxing workout is worth the purchase even though I don't love the sculpting portion.

I love Bosu Blast and All Body Cardio. These workouts are CIA and are offered on one DVD. All Body Cardio is an awesome step, floor, circuit/interval workout of sorts focusing on the core and traditional sculpting with a functional flare. Bosu Blast is a fun bosu cardio workout that ends with a tough ab section utilizing the bosu.
Angela:7

I don't mean to hijack the thread...but which Powerstrikes do you recommend? I know Collage sells one and then the Powerstrike chick has others.

I would say the new Powerstike on sale at Collage is low intermediate. The instuctor has great form, but it will certainly not leave you breathless.

Cheryl

Hi Noel,

Here's another vote for the Amy Bento, Tracey Staehle and Kelly Coffey workouts. I have their respective step workouts (along with Amy's All-Pump Extreme and Hi-Lo Extreme) and I find them every bit as challenging as Cathe's workouts. In some cases, more so.

Tracey's and Amy's choreography is a bit more complex, if that makes a difference to you.

Hope this helps.

PowerStrike: I have #2 and #3. They both are really good. I bought them from the website back when it still was functioning. If you do a search on the forum, you will find the new address for Illaria to buy direct.

powerstrike I is more intense than ps II. i have read that ps 3 is not as hard as I and II. i like the music and it is fast paced
i just got TaeBo Advanced. i haven't done it yet but it looks very challenging.

laura

"I don't mean to hijack the thread...but which Powerstrikes do you recommend? I know Collage sells one and then the Powerstrike chick has others."

Beavs- I LOVE Powerstrike 1, I just can't get enough of it. I think it is more intense than KPC - I am always drenched in sweat when I am done & PS1 has more kicking than Powerstrike 2. That being said I do also like PS2 but find myself reaching for Powerstrike 1 much more often.

I have hear that 3 isn't as intense & 4 is even less intense so I won't get them.

You won't be sorry if you get PS1 & 2! HTH!

I just wanted tot hank you all for the Powerstrike info and Noel for not giving me a nuggy for hijacking the thread!

No nuggies here! I'm open to any and all workout discussions. Thanks to everyone for al lthe suggestions and feedback. I like trying new workouts but don't like easy or boring ones.

Another question, if you will indulge me... does anyone have any thoughts about weight loss plans? I've been doing Cathe for a LONG time now with no apparent weight loss. I need to lose 10-15 lbs. I guess I just want to know what works for people.

thanks again!
-Noel

I've found less cardio and more strength training works for me. When I find my weight creeping back up, I start writing down everything I eat and that usually helps. Check out Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. It's an e-book that you download. It also helps me to eat protein at every meal and keep my fat grams between 40-50 a day. I also try to eat 5x a day.

Marcy

ps II includes hooks,uppers, and back kicks. until doing ps II i did not realize how much they affect my upper back and shoulders.ps I is front kicks and cross punch but it is still very intense,so i would get both. i alternate the two since i get doms in differnt areas.

laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.