OT: LeapPad...Help!

AndreaL

Cathlete
I can't quite make up my mind. I am trying to decide if I want to get a LeapPad for my Kindergartner for Christmas. Our school is not the best, and while we work on letters sounds and names at home I would like to use the LeapPad during times that I can't be doing it with him. I also think it would be great in the car as we do a lot of travelling...groceries are 1 1/2 hours away.

Is this something he can use on his own? Just give me your opinions on it!

Thanks!

Andrea

P.S. Yes, I've thought of homeschooling. Our area is so rural the only interaction with other children my son has is at school, and I think the social is as important as the educational.

Hi Andrea! I'm usually a lurker here, but just wanted to chime in with some advice. I have a 4-year-old, and he recently got the LeapPad, along with several of the books. He does very well using it on his own, and I'm sure your Kindergartener will as well. I've found that we can work together on things - like the phonics books, and that there are other things he loves to do by himself (like the Scooby Doo "Disappearing Donuts" book!). Although we only have a few of the books (they can be very expensive), my son has already learned a lot from using them. He is particularly improving in knowing what sounds the letter make, learning the United States, etc. It's also great in the car. We took ours on a 6.5-hour drive to Virginia, and he used it for quite a while on the way down and on the way back!

I'm sure there will be some good sales at places like Target and Toys R Us as the holidays approach, so this might be a good time to get it. You might also want to check out eBay to see if there are any good deals on the LeapPad books.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Kat

Love it!

We have one for our son, who is about to turn 6. He's had it since he was 4 and still uses it. One of the great things is that all of the books for the other, similar LeapPad products ( Leap Pad Pro and the new Quantum one ) are compatible with it, so you can just get new books to have it grow with him. He loves it and has always been able to use it very independently. In the beginning I would set it up for him, because I was afraid he would try to force the catridges in incorrectly. But after I had it set up, he would use it himself.

Good luck!!

I'm glad you asked this - our daughter is 4 and we've just decided to get her one, too! Thanks for all the responses and positive comments on the LeapPad. Of course, she still calls it the "book with the froggy".

My daughter, who will be 6 in December received this last year for Christmas. She loves hers! Now that she's in Kindergarten she's using it even more. They've come out with a Phonics series that's really helpful also. My lil' guy is going to be 3 in December and he's getting a My 1st Leap for his Birthday!
Happy Holidays! :D Susan

My daughter, who will be 6 in December received this last year for Christmas. She loves hers! Now that she's in Kindergarten she's using it even more. They've come out with a Phonics series that's really helpful also. My lil' guy is going to be 3 in December and he's getting a My 1st Leap for his Birthday!
Happy Holidays! :D Susan

My daughter who is about to turn 8 in February got a Leap Pad several years ago and really loves it. She especially liked the geography game where you have to find states within a certain time period. We have enjoyed it so much that I recently bought her the Quantum pad which is geared towards grade school children. I think that your son will get a lot of use out of it and be able to use it independently. Sandra

Wow! Thanks!

I didn't expect to get very many responses. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get one. But, shhhh...don't tell him...it's a surprise :)

Andrea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.