OT-Christmas party covered dish ideas?

icumom

Cathlete
Hi Alll,
Our ICU ornament/cookie exchange dinner get together is next week...this is the first year in many I can attend...any ideas for a side covered dish, fruit base or veggie to bring...or bread/rolls deal - meat and dip are already taken! Thought you all might have a party pleaser I could steal!

Thanx!

Here is one of the favorites I dig out all the time. So yummy and the apples are a healthy choice for dipping.

Apple Brickle Dip

8oz. cream cheese, softened
½ C packed brown sugar
¼ C granulated sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1 pkg almond brickle chips/English toffee bits, 10 oz.
3 medium tart apples, cut into wedges or chunks

 In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugars and vanilla.
 Fold in brickle chips. Let sit for at least an hour (the longer it sits, the softer the toffiee bits get and they sort of MELT into the mixture....say YUMMO!).
 Serve with apples.

Notes:
 The toffee bits begin to ‘melt’ as the dip sits.

Original Source: Taste of Home, December/January 20001

Gayle

Pink Fluff -
1 container cool whip (thawed)
About 1/2 jar marchino cherries - cut in half save some of the juice (buy a good quality)
pineapple tidbits
mini marshmallows
walnuts
Can fruit cocktail

Mix all ingredientsand add some cherry juice to color it pink and flavor it. Chill and serve.
Add as many marshmallows, walnuts, pineapple per your taste. It's quick, easy.

I found this recipe on the Oxygen Forums and it sounds delish:

Pumpkin Pie Dip

1 8oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
1 15 oz. can pumpkin pie filling
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
cinnamon, cinnamon sticks for garnish

Beat cream cheese and sugar at medium speed until smooth.Add pie filling, cinnamon, and ginger, beating well. Cover and chill for 8 hours. Serve with gingersnaps and apple and/or pear slices.

I like to make a fruit salad with whatever good seasonal fruit is available and toss it with a honey dressing - a combination of equal parts honey and citrus juice (lime, lemon, orange or a blend) with some cinnamon or nutmeg thrown in...some mint could be nice, too.

It's easy and usually a nice contrast to the heavier dishes you see at this kind of event.

Here's a fun, different, and yummy way to incorporate cranberry sauce:

Frozen Cranberry Salad

1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
8 oz light sour cream
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Mix all 4 ingredients, then pour into a 9x9 baking pan. Freeze until solid. Let sit 15 mins before serving; when slightly softened, slice into squares. It gets melty and creamy, but a little icy, and is very good!

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.