osgood schlatter in children?

dmerz

Cathlete
My son (12) has been limping around (like an 80 yo man) the past few weeks. An orthopedic surgeon friend of ours thinks he has osgood schlatter in both legs. (Fancy name for growing pains) Has anyone gone through this with their children? What exercises, stretches, home remedies worked or seemed to ease the pain? We're leaving for 2 weeks of vacation so I'm hoping that 2 weeks off basketball, soccer, floor hockey, etc will also help!

So sorry to hear your boy is going through all this pain. Especially during his time off. I do not have little ones with it, although I did have it myself (very badly) growing up. I would ask my Mom to "chop hit" (kind of like what I have learned since resembles meridian/qi gong tapping along the meridians) my legs up and down so I could get to sleep. Cold therapy helped me too. I am sure treatments/management have come quite a long way since then. I find TCM and acupuncture probably the most effective at managing pain that western medicine hasn't really figured out yet, so I would recommend this first and foremost. Call around and ask which ones use electro acupuncture for pain, which I have found very, very effective for leg pain in particular.They work along the meridians which I found as a child, effective, although short term. As you mentioned, adequate rest is important. I remember my legs recovering from just a few hours of ice skating for days. I've heard really good things about applying and massaging MSM (in a gel/lotion) into the affected areas.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.