Organic hair dyes versus chemical dyes

lulu68

Cathlete
Hello,

For the past 20+ years I have been using chemical hair dyes and hair highlights on my hair. As I get older I've notice that my hair has been looking dry, brittle and having a lot of hair breakage. I've been considering trying going organic when having my hair highlights. Has anyone in this forum gone from chemical process hair to organic, if so does the organic last just and long and did your hair feel and look healthier? Thank You!

until you get an answer I found the Redkin chemistry Soft shots have changed my hair. I purchase the solution with the setting spray of amazon. It cost around $ 80 and has been worth it. The salon in my area were charging 30 a treatments. My hair is shinny and soft. I've consider going natural also so interested if anyone made the change.

I have thick course hair so I've always had to heavily condition but with adding hair dye since I was 30. The ends would be straw without treatment and heavy conditioning

I started using Naturtint a few years back and I love it! it colors all of my grey and my hair is so much healthier and fuller! I just was at the salon on Tuesday and my stylist told me how healthy my hair is, which is nice to hear :). I get all of my product off of amazon because it is way cheaper buying it in bulk from there then at whole foods or the local co-ops. good luck!

I am lucky enough to have an Aveda Training Academy in my city, so I have been going there. I could never afford the actual salon. lol. It isn't 100% natural but the closest that I have been able to find that has never tested it's products on animals. The colour and highlights last just as long as other salon ones. In fact, I find the base colour is closer to what I want than some others. I'm a cool brunette and many colours come out far warmer that I like. I tried Henna to be totally natural, but it makes my hair look very harsh/matte and causes it to become a little porous. I know people who look fabulous using henna though. For a natural sealant which helps prevents breakage and pourousness (avoiding dimethicones and such), I've experimented and found a homemade serum of shea oil & broccolli seed oil works nicely (add avocado oil if your hair tends to be coarse, mine is too flat/thin for it). You can infuse dried nettles and nutmeg in it to play up natural highlights if your a brunette or infuse with dried chamomile flowers if your more blond.
There's always the old remedy of using a protein treatment (mashing up avocados with egg whites, aloe vera and stuff!) pre-colour to protect your hair as well.

I've blabbered on about more than your question now! ;)

Last edited:
until you get an answer I found the Redkin chemistry Soft shots have changed my hair. I purchase the solution with the setting spray of amazon. It cost around $ 80 and has been worth it. The salon in my area were charging 30 a treatments. My hair is shinny and soft. I've consider going natural also so interested if anyone made the change.

I have thick course hair so I've always had to heavily condition but with adding hair dye since I was 30. The ends would be straw without treatment and heavy conditioning

What kind of shampoo and conditioner do you use?

I started using Naturtint a few years back and I love it! it colors all of my grey and my hair is so much healthier and fuller! I just was at the salon on Tuesday and my stylist told me how healthy my hair is, which is nice to hear :). I get all of my product off of amazon because it is way cheaper buying it in bulk from there then at whole foods or the local co-ops. good luck!
Where do you buy Naturtint? Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.