Orbitrek or Treadmill??

fitchic

I am in a quandry on which of these to purchase. I have some birthday money and want to get either of these but I can't decide. I have been enjoying running and walking on the treadmills at the gym top add more cardio to my routine. I belong the two gyms I teach at, so I don't pay for both. But I wanted to get some cardio in , while I'm at home with the kiddos. I don't have enough for a new treadmill, so I'd be looking at second hand. I have seen some around what I can spend in the paper although I would be stretching a bit here right after Christmas . Or I could get the Orbitrek brand new. It looks you might be able to run on it as well , it says it has a feature for free running in which the arm handles can be stabilzed, although I'm not sure if I am even understanding it correctly.I have only seen them online. I have read up on it a bit and the reviews look good. I think I might really like it! Yet with the treadmill I have both the option to run or to walk. I'm SO CONFUSED! Can you tell? I just wondered if anyone here has either or if maybe you have tried both. I just cannot decidex( x( Anyone have any opions??
Thanks,
Rose

Just bumping this up because I have been considering purchasing either an elliptical or treadmill. I've looked at the Smooth treadmills and they look excellent. I'm just not sure whether I want to spend that much. Maybe if they have a payment plan . . .

Does anyone have the Weslo Cadence brand? They are definitely more affordable- just wondering how stable and comfortable they are. Thanks!:D

I would definitely suggest that you try out the product BEFORE purchasing it! I recently saw a great elliptical buy in The Sharper Image catalog - when I went over to the store to try it - it was a piece of junk. You are not going to get anything decent UNDER $1500 in the elliptical market. I would suggest a Nordic Track Skier for $599.

http://www.nordictrack.com/cgi-bin/...splay?cgmenbr=153&cgrfnbr=46533&rootcat=46525

If your finances allow, take a look at the Precor Ellipticals - they are the BEST on the market.

http://www.precor.com/cons/efx/

Elln

I agree with Elln: try out both the style of equipment (treadmill vs. elliptical) and (for the ellipticals especially), the brand of equipment (Nordictrack vs. Orbitrek vs. whatever) before you buy.

Also, you can check customer ratings at www.eopinions.com .

As for treadmill vs. elliptical. Treadmills seem a bit more versatile (with the ability to do various inclines) but ellipticals are often better on the knees (may vary, depending on your individual anatomy and weaknesses) and are no-impact.

Ellipticals take up less space (in general).

I'd get whatever you think you'd use most, because no piece of equipment is worth a plug nickel if you won't use it!

If the elliptical seems more fun and useful to you, go for it.

If you think the treadmill looks like something you'd enjoy more, then go with that.

I think you can burn a similar amount of calories, and get a good workout from either piece of equipment.

I would have to disagree with burning a similar amount of calories on either piece of equipment because I burn 650 calories in 50 minutes on the Elliptical; whereas I burn 400 calories on the treadmill in the same amount of time.

But you really have to "try" before you "buy" or you might end up with a piece of junk.

I went to Modells to try a $399 elliptical and it was so wobbly that I couldn't believe people would buy it. Save yourself the headache of shipping it back to the manufacturer - TRY FIRST.

Elln

>I would have to disagree with burning a similar amount of
>calories on either piece of equipment because I burn 650
>calories in 50 minutes on the Elliptical; whereas I burn 400
>calories on the treadmill in the same amount of time.
>

That could depend on how fast you are going on each machine. I know if I jog for 20 minutes on a treadmill at 5.5 MPH and do the elliptical on an incline of 8 to 10 for 20 minutes I burn about the same amount maybe 20 calories difference.

I do agree with everyone else you have to try it out before you buy. I have a Landice treadmill and paid a lot of money for it but it was the best one that I try and I try a few. I did finance it though with 0% interest and no payment for 13 monthes this way I can save and when the 13 month is up I will just pay the whole thing off:).

> I burn 650
>calories in 50 minutes on the Elliptical; whereas I burn 400
>calories on the treadmill in the same amount of time.

I still think one can burn about the same amount of calories. If you increased your speed and incline on the treadmill, you could burn as many calories as on the elliptical.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.