Opinions, please

suzannaerin

Cathlete
Hi gang--Anyone out there tried Keli Robert's New Body Bar Workout? I'm looking for something to use in rotation w/Cathe's strength tapes, and I find the Firm ones I used to do annoying now (those ta-da "poses" are way too hokey for me now that I've discovered Cathe's gym-style workouts, and found them so much more motivating and effective. Although I still think Tracy Long is excellent--she should break out on her own, but that's a whole other topic/thread!). Anyway, the reviews on Video Fitness were good for New Body Bar, but I wanted some more opinions before I invested in the tape. Also, I don't have a body bar. Should I buy one? Any and all comments welcome. Thanks! Suzanna

Hi Suzannaerin-
I have Keli Roberts' New BodyBar workout. While it's a good workout and Keli is a great instructor, it's not really comparable to Cathe's strength workouts. I classify it as a "lighter" workout.

For one thing, you're using a body bar, so you're going to be limited in how much weight you can use. I think the heaviest body bar available is only 24 lbs. Of course, you could use a barbell or free weights instead, but some of the exercises (the ones for rear delts and lats come to mind) end up using core strength as well because you're lifting something that has its weight equally distributed across 4', as opposed to a dumbbell which is concentrated to a smaller area, or a barbell which has its heavier weights on each end. Does that make sense?

A body bar is a great piece of equipment to have, though. I love using it for the inner/outer thigh work in PS SLA, and I also use it instead of a barbell when I want a light weight workout for lower body. A good barbell is a better investment, though, because it will give you so many more options in the long run.

If you're looking for other good strength tapes and you're not a big Firm fan, here are a few suggestions: BodyPump, Cory Eversons' Basic Sculpting Series, CIA 2102. Joyce Vedral has strength tapes, but I've never used any of them so I can't comment on them.

I'd stick with Cathe's tapes, though. I have tried so many tapes out there and keep coming back to Cathe. Her strength workouts are the best, and now we have more to look forward to!

Although I havent done the body bar workout, I did just want to tell you that your comments about the Firm videos made me crack up!! I too am far more into the gym-like workout found in Cathe's tapes. I found the "ta-da" poses "way too hokey" as well, I just couldnt stand it anymore, I gave ALL of my Firm tapes away! I know there are alot of Firm fans out there, but I'm glad I'm not the only one they annoy. Cathe could kick those skinny chicks' butts, and what's with those little leg warmer things some of those Firm chicks wear???

Cant wait for Cathe's new tapes!

:) Stacy

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get the body bar and forget about getting the tape. Maybe I'll get Cathe's Wedding tape for my light strength days. Thanks, Suzanna

PS to Stacy---You know it! Have you been doing your "pelvic floor" exercises? Sorry, couldn't resist! haha. I could go on and on but I don't want to offend any Firm fans.

RE: Breathy Firm Chicks

Okay, I just couldn't resist reminding you guys that we should all be " breathalllllllly internally contracting". Thank goodness I found Cathe I just couldn't take myself seriously anymore..found that I began to turn the sound off after awhile. Funny-funny- FUNNY!

I wonder what the males in the Firm vids did when the instructor started on those "pelvic floor" exercises?

Hmmmm? As I remember the males in those vids didn't look like they would be interested in females. DD

Hmmmm? As I remember the males in those vids didn't look like they would be interested in females. DD

the problem with Firm tapes...

I think they tend to do the same exercises over and over again. I mean, how many overhead presses can you do, but then do little to no chest work.

Before I became a self-proclaimed Cathe addict, I really thought the Firm was great. I haven't done any Firming since August of 2000 and when I start to think maybe I should, after one workout I'm RUNNING back to Cathe. The results I've seen doing Cathe's tapes I don't think I could ever have gotten before.

I find myself going to the Firm forum just looking for Cathe-related posts so I can jump in and say how great she is!

Michele

RE: the problem with Firm tapes...

Michele,
Boy how right you are! I bought my first frim tape back in 1989 for....get ready now, $50! It was my first experience with weights EVER and for this I am grateful to the Firm. I then collected all the Firm total body workouts 1-6. One of my all time favs is Firm 2 with Janet Jones Gretzky...I still use it now and then for old times sake. After a while the reps were toooo fast for how much weight I began to lift. And then there were alllll those other Firm tapes that came after that were just parts of others they did before..grrrrr. Now that I am doing Cathe's tapes the clouds have parted and there is blue sky! I actually beleive we are getting more fit along with Cathe. Shoot, I can't wait to see where she will take us next. I am particularlly excited about her new SLOW AND HEAVY tape. DD

Hi Suzannaerin !!

I think the Wedding Tape is a good tape for light days. Cathe is making a new total body weight tape for light weights and high reps, so be sure you order that one. If you don't have MIS you can also lighten the weight and use it for light days.

I second the Firm tape thing. I only use the All Weights tape when I have fallen off the wagon and have not exercised in a long time. Once I have done it for a week I am back to Cathe. She is the best instructor out there. I can't wait for those new tapes:D

Terri

RE: Hi Suzannaerin !!

OK. I have to put my two cents in. I have just about every FIRM tape ever made. And while they don't follow Cathe's style, there are still a few that I keep in rotation just because they work if you use heavy weights...i.e. Tape 3 with Sandahl Bergman can still get my butt sore the next day if I use 50 pounds for step ups and for all the other leg exercises, as well as heavy ankle weights. I still use the Variety cross training videos with Pam and Heidi. I think the tall box step ups in the FIRM videos are extremely effective if you use enough weight. Just my opinion.
I do like Cathe's tapes, but sometimes I like to mix it up and find that my does respond better to different workouts, especially if they've sat on the shelf a while.
Amy

I bought Vol. 3 for $50!

I, too, was one of the "original" Firmies...I started with Vol. 3 and paid $50 as well! It seems amazing now to pay so much for one video.

I give the Firm a lot of credit as well for getting me on the fitness track. I think they've really dropped the ball, though, as far as meeting their customers needs. I probably have the majority of their tapes (although I'm actually thinking of starting to sell some now with Cathe's new ones) and can't believe that a company would just sell parts tape after parts tape.

I always wondered, too, if the instructors were certified in any way or if they were just part of the cast. I can't imagine that Janet Gretzky is an aerobics instructor in the hockey off season! :)

I did Janet tonight

I still like the intensity of this tape--in my opinion nothing the Firm has done beats the first 3 they did.. although I agree I like the Pam and Heidi (Strongheart and Strongbody).

They have not evolved with the new advanced excerciser, I'll agree...

RE: I did Janet tonight

Hi Murph!
I have always liked this tape. In fact, I have it recorded on an audio tape and still take it with me on camping trips or other vacations when I don't want to skip weights. I thought it was very thourough.I think it was just about 30mins long if I skipped the floor work. Ahhh, good ol Firm tapes. Deb D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.