Opinions on P90X

pjlippert

Cathlete
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm gonna ask anyway! Has anybody out there tried the P90X program? Insanity scares the begeebers out of me. This one looks equally scary so I'm just curious.

Thanks!
Pam

I'll bite, . . since I was in your boat before and super curious about if P90X was worth it. I guess my answer would be that it depends on what teaching preference you prefer. I hated it sold mine on craigslist. I did not like the music and I did not like Tony's teaching style. He came off as arogant to me. Now I don't doubt that this works. Just from watching and pre-viewing the DVDs the moves are very effective and probably help with developing and defining your muscle. The other really nice thing about this plan is that it is mapped out for you. Depending on your goals the book that it comes with tells you which DVD to use and when. They have pre-set rotations. The other thing I did not like was the plug for the vitamins and supplements. Just another way to make a buck if you ask me. No matter what exercise DVD I try I always, . . always come back to Cathe's Gym Style series, Muscle Max, Butts and Gutts, Body Max 2, Drill Max, and Low Max. They don't compare to any other fitness DVD out there, . . but this is just my opinion. I just love her teaching style. I feel challenged and pushed and motivated. Most importantly I have fun. Well, I hope this helps. I think that the most important thing is to pre-view them. YouTube has some pre-views and to do what is most enjoyable to you. Sweat on!!

Oh one other thing as far as the scary factor is concerned. Heck you are at home work out at your pace and modify. Any DVD can be easier or harder depending on how much or how little you push yourself. Start off slow and easy then increase the weight or intensity as you get stronger, . .just be patient, . .cause it will happen.

I'll give my two cents on the P90x subject. I thought it was ok, but I did sell mine as I cannot see doing it again.

Pros:
1. Easy to follow, not a lot of equipment needed
2. DVD options for music off, instruction off
3. Familiar moves

Cons
1. The rotation gets boring after awhile. I only lasted two months
2. There is only one leg workout for the 3 month rotation
3. If you don't like pull ups or push ups, don't buy this as the chest and back is just that
4. The cardio is average. I think several other instructors put out much more difficult videos.

If I had to grade it, I would say C-. It's just ok.

Hope this helps
Theresa

I agree with the others. I sold mine. It became boring after one month. And, due to the repetitive nature of the workouts (pushups galore), I developed tendonitis in my shoulder. That never happened with Cathe because she has so much more variety. The cardio was weak (and I'm not good at cardio, so that's saying ALOT). I also found the ab workout hurt my back (again, something I don't experience with Cathe). I much prefer Cathe workouts overall.

I don't think P90X is scary at all. I think the commercials make it look that way because it CAN be scary if you want to make it scary. But it is also a very easy program to tailor to your fitness needs/goals/abilities. Insanity, on the other hand, IS scary (and I love it).

I did a P90X rotation last summer shortly after finishing a 6 1/2 month STS rotation. I was actually convinced I would hate P90X by the end of the rotation because I get bored with workouts very easily, but that didn't happen for me. I think that is because I made sure I tracked all of my weights/reps and kept challenging myself throughout the entire program. I especially did this with pushups, and the results were amazing for me.

But there are things I don't like about P90X. There isn't anything close to enough cardio in the program for me, and I substituted my own cardio in place. There also isn't enough leg work, so I had to supplement with additional leg work. I also found that more form pointers could have been used in some areas (Cathe is really good with form pointers, and I missed that).

I also felt that the program was geared more towards 'show off' muscles, which made it feel somewhat out-of-balance for me. For instance, I felt there was way more emphasis on the quad section of the legs than on the hamstring portion of the legs. I was left with the sense that Tony Horton developed the program by looking in a mirror and going 'This is what I want to look good on me'. And there isn't anything horribly wrong with that because he DID hit all muscle groups, but it just didn't feel as complete for me as STS (as an example).

I have a love/hate relationship with Tony Horton. I find him equally amusing and annoying. But I just kind of learned how to ignore him in some of the workouts and instead focused on getting the best workout I could.

I had great results from P90X. Probably ended that program looking the most 'cut' I've ever looked and THAT is what will convince me to do another rotation (with my modifications as listed above) again. That being said, I'm back to doing another STS rotation, and if you want my opinion on the best strength training system on the market, it would be STS. :)

i loved p90x and will do it again. i dont understand why its boring. just like gymstle,your doing the same dvds for 1 month.the second month of p90x the upper body is different.

laura

Here's a totally different take on P90X...

As the queen of "I don't do rotations", I have P90X and I do it regularly. I just don't do it as a rotation. What's wrong with doing the workouts mixed in with other workouts?

That's what I do, and it works for me!

There are a lot of great DVDs in the P90X set!

I have it, too. My DH did a P90X rotation last year and he is on his second round.

I can not and will not follow a rotation. It's just never gonna happen for me.;)

I do however, mix in different DVDs and then use them this way, too. If my Dh is working out and I feel like doing what he is, then I jump in and join him.
I do the same with Insanity, and STS too.

I love Tony Horton...he is so goofy! But, I found P90x boring...I now just do a random video when I feel like. I tried to do the whole 90 days and got bored and missed Cathe.
But, a lot of my friends LOVE it.

I didn't particularly like the workouts as far as fun factor, and I didn't care that much for Tony Horton... but the more important thing to me is that I got results!! Fat really just dropped off me while doing the workout series. I did eat really healthy though and upped my calories by about 300 per day (healthy calories of course).
I am actually going to start it again on Monday. I did it over 2 years ago, so I've decided to do it agian. To me, the results were worth the lack of fun during the workouts.

Katie

P90X is my go to system for upper body results. I've done numerous rounds of P90X and P90X+. I don't get bored easily and well planned rotations keep my workouts consistent because I won't allow myself to skip a day. I have subbed Insanity for the P90X cardio and/or sub KPC for Kenpo which works out well. All in all it is a great program that does not require a ton of equipment. There is nothing to be scared of because if you can handle Cathe, you really can handle anything :D

The consistency and length of the workouts is probably what gets most people. I am used to working out 6-7 days a week. This program is 3 months of working out (for at least an hour, sometimes 1 1/2 hrs) 6 days a week with your 7th day being a complete rest or stretch workout which may be a bit much for some. Good luck with your decision :D

WOW! Super feedback. Thanks gals!! I think you may have just saved me a bunch of money!! I'll save up to buy the STS series instead!

TGIF!! Heck, Thank God for Any Day!! :D

Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.