Onion Rings...yum

Nadja Z

Cathlete
I just tried the recipe for onion rings on the back of the Fiber-One box. I've never liked the ones served in restaurants, because I just can't stomach that much grease. But wow, these ones are TASTY! :9

Crush 1/2 c fiber-one (I used a mortar and pestle), place in small dish

Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt pepper, etc. to taste

Chop ends off onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices, and separate rings

Add 1/4 c egg substitute to small bowl (I just used two egg whites)

Coat onion rings first in egg, then in the cereal mixture

Bake at 375 F for 20 min, turning over halfway through

I actually felt a little gross after I ate them, like I just had some deep fried acrylamide coated restaurant appetizers. Then I thought, wait, I just ate fiber-one and onions. I probably burned calories! I guess they were just alarmingly flavorful. I plan on busting them out at the next barbecue and coming out with a 'gotcha' after it meets with approval. Heh heh..

Nadja

Nadja, You are my new best friend!
I love onion rings but never can eat them becuase they make me SO SICK from all the grease.
I cannot wait to make these!!! THANK YOU!!!

>I'm not familiar with Fiber One - what would be a good sub?
>
>
>Those do sound good - ya got me intrigued ! :9

Fiber-One is a brand of cereal. It looks like little twigs but tastes much better, I assure you. It has 60 cal and 14 g fiber per 1/2 cup serving. Hmmm, I'm really not sure what would be a good sub. Other than All-Bran brand cereal (very similar, but less sweet), which I've never been crazy about. You can find it at most grocery stores, though.

Fiber-One is sweetened with aspartame though, so if you like to stay away from artificial sweeteners, All-Bran might be a better choice.

OH! These DO sound awesome! Thanks for sharing! I make something very similar to that with either onions or slices of zucchini.

I spray the onion rings or zucchini slices with a bit of cooking spray then coat it in a mixture of wheat germ and spices, then bake!

THANKS AGAIN!

Gayle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.