November Pregnancy update!

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Wow, sorry it took so long for me to post this update. As much as I don't like to complain, I must admit these last three weeks have been pretty tough on me. Fortunately there were atleast a few days here and there that were not too bad.

The first week right after the road trip things were fine as usual. I had lots of energy, was sleeping pretty well, and having my usual yummy cravings. Then at the start of the second week, I started getting a lot of water retention in my surgery knee causing some discomfort. It actually locked up for a day. I already drink a ton of water but started to drink even more to try to flush the retention out of my knee. That seemed to do the trick and everything was back to normal in about two days. Then a few days after that, my hip and groin area became a bit tender. I noticed that my kickbox classes really aggrivated this area. The side kicks and round house kicks became undoable. I had to modify VERY MUCH. At about this time I also was irritable, having 2 to 4 hour nights sleep, and feeling soooo sleepy during the day. A few days later I started sneezing a lot which eventually turned into a mini cold. I tried to maintain a positive attitude but my patience sure was being tested. The doctor called me right about that time and told me that my test results came back positive for the STREP B test. That meant that I now had to go on a medication for 10 days and then again right before delivery so that the baby does not develop an infection. Fortunately, the medication atleast made my little mini cold feel better. Things improved for a few days and my energy returned. The only thing that did not improve was my hip and groin area. After speaking to Sheila(our fitness/pregnancy expert)about this pain, it turns out that the Relaxin hormone in my body is causing the ligaments of my hip and groin area to soften in preparation for childbirth. Although everyone has this Relaxin hormone in their body, some people experience more sensitivity in the hip/groin area than others. Since my pain had developed to the point of "feeling" as if my pelvic bone were separating, I chose to stop kickboxing until after delivery. I have one kickbox class that I coach while standing on the sidelines, but I had someone take over my other class. Although I do not feel any discomfort from my other classes(step and hi/lo), I have decided to take out just about all of the impact during these classes too, (since it appears that my hip/groin area will remain sensitive for the duration of the pregnancy).

I'm officially in my seventh month now and some of the pregnancy related changes that I have experienced are: 1) My belly button has pushed outward. Its a very strange sensation when my clothes rub over it. It don't really like that feeling. 2) The braxton hicks are quite excessive now. 3) I have definitely had a growth spurt. I feel my belly on my lap when I sit and I keep knocking things off of tabletops when I slide through tight spots sideways. 4) My center of gravity has shifted. 5) Water retention seems to be a constant battle with me. I seem to have puffy ankles all the time. I put all of my rings away until after the baby is born. 6) Mental fog was at an all time high last week while teaching. I think I had more blank outs in one class than I normally would in a whole year.

Food wise: Since the ravenous cravings have subsided, I have been making better food choices for my main meals(cutting back on high sodium and high fat foods)but my snacks are still full of sin. As a matter of fact I just finished a devil dog and a glass of milk....YUMMY!

Clothes wise: The dangerboy tops are just starting to become a little snug. I think I can squeak another couple of weeks out of them.

Although the last three weeks have been somewhat rough, I have had some beautiful events occur. The 9am regular class members had thrown me a surprise baby shower and then two weeks later the instructors and staff had also surprised me with a baby shower. I'm just so touched by the warmth, kindness, and generosity of everyone. My husband and I are lucky to be surrounded by such loving and caring people. Thank you everyone for all of your love and support. We are so excited to be sharing and celebrating this very special time with all of you.

Heading into the home stretch!

Cathe,

Thanks so much for the update. I certainly hope the remainder of your pregnancy will go smoothly for you.

I really appreciate how intimately you are sharing your pregnancy experience with us. You have eased a number of my concerns for when I get pregnant (been trying for a couple months).

Thanks again,

Tina

Cathe, I was getting worried about you!!

Hi Cathe!

Glad to see you post! I was just getting ready to post something on the "Ask Cathe" forum about you! Was wondering where you were and if you were OK since it's been so long since you posted. Forgive me for sounding like an over-protective Mother Hen! ~grin~

So sorry to hear of your tribulations the past few weeks.
sad.gif
Hang in there, it WILL get better.

Had to laugh when you mentioned the "mental fog"; let me tell you it doesn't get better. I think when you have children they take some of your brain cells with them! LOL! My memory is shot!
happy.gif
Let's see, what day is it today anyway......

TTFN,
Bev K.

Hope you feel better

Cathe,

Just a quick note to tell you to be strong. I remember that third trimester as being very tiring/trying. Elevate your feet as much as possible because the fluid retention can be murder. And do not try to do as much as before everybody understands. Take Care

GetFit

Oh gosh Cathe

I hate that belly button rub thing, my last pregnancy (No. 2) that was big on my lists of complaints-that and heartburn. I agree with Bev though, for every child I think they take some brain cells with them; but, it did get a little better for me otherwise my nearly 8-year-old could constantly be pulling the wool over my eyes. I think it is so nice of you to share your experience with all of us, it just shows how caring and in touch with everyone you really are and I am hoping you are blessed with a wonderful son who sleeps through the night almost instantly :)

Stephanie

you're on the downhill ride now. . .

That last trimester can be SO tiring and discouraging. I am sorry you've had so many little irritations. Little irritations can easily add up into one BIG grouchy momma!!
happy.gif
Oh, but there is no better feeling in the world than the first few hours after you give birth. It's the world's best endorphin high, if you can imagine being on an endorphin high AND as relaxed as you've ever been in your life at the same time! Feels GREAT! So the discomforts of that third trimester will be rewarded, believe me. It's time to just slow down and take especially good care of yourself. Don't push yourself ma'am! BABY yourself instead! It's a big job you're doing. Your cheering section will start yelling extra loud now to encourage you on to that glorious finish line! YAY RAH GO CATHE!!! (and the crowd goes wild. . . ) -susan p

You are on the home stretch!

Hang in there Cathe. Gosh, I remember those last three months - they seemed to be the toughest....but you are such a tough little cookie! I think of you almost every day (well, the postcard on my refrigerator helps), and I am sending a big hug and best wishes your way!
((((((((((( CATHE))))))))))))

Be good to yourself! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Suzanne

Group B Strep

I tested positive for this too (they must have tested me early - I'm only 15 weeks). The doctor said it is very common and really isn't something to be concerned about. I also did some of my own research (the librarian in me I guess!). We just have to remember to get IV antibiotics during labor! Good luck!

Some parts are more fun than others

Maybe the purpose of the mental fog is to make us forget all the aches and pains enough to want to do it again? And I have to chime in that it is true, you never do get all your brain cells back. Or maybe they are all there, but it doesn't feel like it, because a big chunk of your brain (and your heart and soul) are always focused on where your kids are, instead of where YOU are. One of those trade-offs in life that we would all do again without a second thought. (Of course, I've just said that we mothers don't have enough brain cells left to even HAVE a second thought.)

Well, Cathe, I predict that this is a sure sign of things to come. The little guy has decided to make it his mission to keep you guessing. One day it's the hip, the next day it's the knee, then it's the strep B ... this is all preparation for the world's most wily little boy. He'll have you busy childproofing all the kitchen cabinets -- and when you turn around, little Eric will be headed straight for the stairs. (Don't worry, you've got another year before you need to deal with any of these issues. Believe me, by then you will be more than ready.)

I can't say that it will get much easier over the next few weeks, but it is such a short time to go and then you'll be holding that little boy. I start to choke up every time I remember that first moment holding my two (perfectly beautiful) babies. Hang in there. You are doing a great job.
Love, Daphne

Thanks for the Update

Thanks for the update, Cathe. Although it's been 17 years since I gave birth, I remember having almost constant Braxton-Hicks contractions in my last trimester.

The last trimester was also very tiring for me, and my energy just plummeted.

I am so glad that you are listening to your body and caring for yourself and for Little Eric Jonathan! Eric is almost ready for his debut
happy.gif

Amy

Those third trimester woes

Cathe, I'm sorry to hear that you're having those aches and pains. They're hard enough for anyone to deal with, not to mention people like you who are so active (that's an understatement!
happy.gif
)! It's almost as if it's your body's way of getting a little enforced rest so you'll have lots of energy in a couple of months when you'll need it even more...
wink.gif

Lots of women are positive for group B strep--about 30% at any one given time. Since you were screened for it, you and Eric should have no problems.

Doesn't it feel great to know you're in the homestretch? Looking back on it, though, you might miss feeling your little kickboxer-in-training after he's born!

Kristin

Hang In There!

Cathe, the good news is that these discomforts are only temporary! I'm 16 weeks into my third pregnancy. By the 8th month of each pregnancy, I felt like I'd been pregnant forever but that last month always seemed to fly by. I had the water retention thing ALOT w/ my second pregnancy and unfortunately my legs are swelling up again now. Like you, I try to be careful about salt intake and I'm constantly guzzling H2O. The hardest thing is keeping a straight face when the doctor says "Keep your feet up as much as possible during the day".

Thanks for all you do for us. I'm having some great workouts thanks to you. With modifications, I hope I can keep this up for the rest of my pregnancy. Good luck and feel better!!!

PS.

Can you still tie your workout shoes yourself? :)

She's off and running!

Before you know it you'll be holding your sweet little guy, and all of this will seem like, well, it will seem like what it is! A lot of hard work! But he's worth every minute of it, and you'll be ready to do it again in a heartbeat when the time comes to have a baby brother or sister for him!
happy.gif

I remember very clearly that whole "last couple of months" feeling. Everywhere I went, people would tell me how huge I was. "Thanks!" I felt like my skin couldn't possibly stretch any further. The little aches and pains that added up, and the loss of sleep at the end . . . I always swore that the reason the last month is so uncomfortable is so that we'll be willing and eager to go into labor!
happy.gif
Of course, the lack of sleep is just practice for after the baby is born. You want to hone the skill of napping wherever and whenever possible, since you aren't getting much of it at night!

About the loss of your mind . . . my sympathies!
happy.gif
There's a running joke in our family that after each kid you loose half a brain. With 4 kids, I'm currently a full brain in the hole!
happy.gif

Hang in there! Especially with the holidays coming up, this time will fly! Before you know it you'll be needing that jogging stroller!

A quick side note: People reap what they sow. Cathe, you have sown seeds of kindness, caring and helpfulness everywhere you go. What you're reaping now ( baby showers, etc. ) are just the fruits of what a wonderful, caring person you are! Have a great day!
happy.gif

Erin

Final Trimester Fun

Cathe, your update brought back many (painful) memories. In both of my pregnancies, I experienced severe hip pain. In my first pregnancy, it was so bad that once I literally had to roll out of the bed onto the floor and crawl to the bathroom for one of my regular pre-dawn bathroom trips because my hip would not accept ANY weight. I spent the rest of that day trying to hop on one foot to get around my home (not an easy thing to do when you're hopping for two).

At least the hip pain has an explanation. Also during the last trimester of both of my preganancies, I became the not-so-proud owner of bi-colored legs. I am an African-American woman and for some reason (that my doctor could not explain because he had never seen it before), the backs of both of my legs became two different colors with clearly defined lines down the middle of both. Yikes! This last time, it took almost a full year for my legs to return to their normal color.

Another final trimester event was the shifting of my $3,000 teeth. Yes, after 3 years of orthodontics and nearly 9 years of straight teeth, it only took one pregnancy for my teeth to shift seemingly overnight. I woke up one morning and they just weren't in the same place. I even had trouble speaking until I got use to their new pattern. The good news is that the orthodontist told me for a few thousand dollars more and two more years of braces, I can return them to their near-perfect glory. Yeah, right.

None of these things mattered in the end because I have two healthy children, and I would gladly do them all again (and I plan to).

Hi Yinka

You wouldn't happen to work out with Christi Taylor, would you? I ask because on a number of her videos she works out with a friend called Yinka (beautiful name by the way) and it's not the most common name.

Curiously,
Judy

You are all so comforting !!!

Thanks so much everyone. You have all been so nice and supportive through these testing times. I enjoyed reading all of your posts. They made me feel a lot better.

Fortunately I had a wonderful nights sleep and I feel pretty energetic today. Yippee! Also, my groin is feeling much better now that I have rested it by just talking through all of my classes this week. I'm sure I will constantly be tested in the next couple of months with all sorts of experiences(some old, some new) but the only thing I can do is take it day by day and deal with it accordingly.

Thanks again for comforting me and sharing your experiences with me
happy.gif
!

Laces

Aren't the bows supposed to be on the side during the last trimester. This made me smile. My husband always jokes when my belly gets too big to tie my laces in the center. Of course he does enjoy using that tummy for a drink coaster in bed. Just has to be quick if the baby decides to kick off whatever he happens to have resting there.

Hi Judy

Thank you. Nope, I'm not the Yinka of the Christi Taylor videos. I work out using Christi's videos too and I must admit to getting a huge kick out of hearing Christi introduce the other Yinka every time I do. Up until I saw Yinka in Christi's videos, I was worried that my parents had given me a man's name because all the other Yinka's I've met have been men. It's nice to know I'm not the only other female Yinka in the U.S. (it's actually a Nigerian name).

There you are!

I was wondering how you were doing and was starting to wonder why we didn't see your early Novemeber update.
I can't belive you made it this far kickboxing, that was the first thing I gave up! Just rest now and let baby Eric do all the kicking he wants.
I know this is the trying trimester... I'm heading there myself as well. My daughter came down with a cold last week and all she wanted to do was cuddle up next to me. So of course I had caught her cold but it hasn't been that bad. I made sure I got rest and took off a few days from work and exercise. Now I'm feeling better.:)
I am really trying to take it easy now. During my last pregnancy, I started to dilate early at 28 weeks and I was put on bedrest and had my daughter 3 days before her due date. I am really trying to avoid bedrest this time ( I'm now at 26 weeks) and my last check-up was good. The Braxton-Hicks have started and I sit as soon as they do but they make me anxious.
Cathe, with the holidays approaching, remember to take it easy and enjoy them too. Our first child was due in January and my husband and I spent a wonderful Christmas Eve together that year, it also was our first as a married couple. We did some things that are now a tradition for us for 9 years now :)
There are going to be some crummy, emotional high and low days coming now. Some days I wish so bad that I could hold this baby in my arms NOW instead of having to wait. But now is when the baby is growing the most so I just try to hang in there.
Do you or have you found any special coping strategies?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.