non-stick pans/pots?alternatives?

shamnas1

Hi everyone,

I am just curious if anyone here uses non-stick pans made with Teflon or if you don't what do you use? and how effective is it?

I do have one non-stick pan but i noticed it got scratched and I've heard that when Teflon scatches the chemicals leached out are very unhealthy. I want to see if there is a safer alternative.

Thanks in advance for any opinions,
Take care,
Sham

I got rid of my Teflon pans years ago. Then several years ago, I bought some more non-stick pans. Then came to my senses and realized that I really didn't want to have pans in the house that can kill birds (I don't have birds, and the fumes supposedly are not harmful to humans or other mammals, but it just struck me wrong somehow, adn the thought of eating even small amounts of the non-stick material wasn't a pleasant one either).

I bought a set of highly-polished stainless steel pans. They aren't 'non-stick,' but they clean up easily. It just takes a bit more care to keep things from sticking (more stirring, for example, or adding more liquids-like mirin or cooking sherry).

One thing you DON'T want to get as a replacement is aluminum (it is a very reactive metal that will leach into foods, especially acidic foods).

Another choice, for some uses, is cast iron. The iron will leach into foods as well, but that's actually a plus (making chili in a cast-iron pot can increase its iron content).

Sham,

I have a Teflon non stick pan that I bought at Walmart and I love it.
I have had one before and I used metal spons to mix stuff and it got scratched. I though it was cheap and wasn't going to buy any more of their stuff but when I looked at the other brands and looked at the prices I bought another Teflon non stick pan from Walmart. (I'm so cheap.:)

I never use metal spoons to mix stuff. All I use is wooden spoon or one of those plastic (heat proof) spatulas. I have had this pan for 3 years now and it is just fine. Really, no scratches.

Another pan that I have and love is made from stainless steel. I got it for Christmas from my mom and I don't know who the maker is but the washing part is amazing. Nothing sticks to it. I will ask her where she bought it. I also love it because it is so nice and shiny just like the shiny pans folks have on food network.

HTH

Kathy

Edited. I just looked at Kathryn post and I forgot to mention that yes the food does stick to the stainless steel pan. I also add more liqud. I meant that it is really easy to take care of as far as the washing part goes.

Ditto on the cast iron suggestion. Once you get a cast iron pan well seasoned, it acts a little more non-stick than stainless steel.

I have one high quality non-stick stir fry pan than I use frequently. One thing I've heard is that you should never heat an empty non-stick pan. It should always have some oil or other liquid in it beforehand.

Sham,

I have a couple of non-stick fry pans, but I rarely use them. All the talk on teflon makes me very worried about my health. I normally use cast iron pans. I've seasoned mine just right, they are even better than teflon.

I had some old pans I got at a swap meat. I used my self cleaning oven to clean them. When I was able to handle them, they were so clean, not one speck of stuff were on them. It smelled and smoked for a while. So open up a window and open vents. Then I took some vegie oil and rubbed one coat all around it. I put the oven on at 450 degrees (make sure you pre heat first). Leave in for one hour. Let them cool off and repeat. Do this at least one more time. I always do it three times. It will smell and smoke, and all that awful stuff, but afterwords you have a fantastic set of seasoned cast iron, that works just like teflon. Use plastic or sillicone untencils on these, so you don't scratch off your hard work.

When you wash them, Don't put them in the dishwasher, and use dish soap,it won't hurt these pans, and that way everything is clean. Only use s light scratcher when nessessary, you won't need to use a scratcher very often. I use a paper towel, then dry it well with a dry paper towel.

I also have a set of stainless steal. They are fine, but I love my cast iron better.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

I have All Clad by Emiril stainless steel, with copper bottoms. They are very easy to clean, and heat up quickly and all over. I highly recommend them! I got them at Bed, Bath and Beyond and used my 20% off coupon- great price and I really enjoy using them!
Deanie:)

The safest and healthiest and best to cook in, are stainless steel, steer away from teflon, aluminum (except if its encased by stainless steel)....I dream of ""all clad"" but pick up strays at TJ Max when they are there...The standard I think is 18/10 stainless.....whatcha all think?

The safest and healthiest and best to cook in, are stainless steel, steer away from teflon, aluminum (except if its encased by stainless steel)....I dream of ""all clad"" but pick up strays at TJ Max when they are there...The standard I think is 18/10 stainless.....whatcha all think?

>The safest and healthiest and best to cook in, are stainless
>steel, steer away from teflon, aluminum (except if its encased
>by stainless steel)....I dream of ""all clad"" but pick up
>strays at TJ Max when they are there...The standard I think is
>18/10 stainless.....whatcha all think?

I definitely agree about using either an inert metal (one that doesn't react to liquids or acids, like stainless steel) or iron (not inert, but when it reacts with liquids and acids, the product in increased iron levels in the food, which is usually not a bad thing, unless one has to be careful of it: there are certain people who tend to build up excesses of iron, often getting rid of it by donating blood on a regular basis, and men and post-menopausal women (and I suppose children as well) have to be careful about getting too much...usually only possible when taking a supplement with it in).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.