New workout shoes

Hello, everyone -

I haven't posted here regularly in about four years. I haven't purchased new workout shoes in about 5 or 6 years and in fact have not exercised regularly since about 2011. I'm making tentative steps (literally) towards returning to exercise and I am in need of a new pair of shoes. I have very wide feet (very generous Ds) and have post-surgery foot swelling (both feet). The last pair of shoes I bought were 8.5wide New Balance 608 cross trainers. A quick sweep of the internet indicated New Balance doesn't even make a shoe called a cross-trainer anymore.

I'm looking for best suggestions for new shoes, please.

Thank you.

Hey & congrats to getting back into the swing of it! :)

Indoors, I work out barefoot or in yoga socks, lol, so I cannot speak personally really. Sorry! Although my sister who has feet a lot like yours swears by Under Armour ones. I'm currently looking for the perfect pair of walkers that fit my uneven feet!
I'm sure you'll get some actually helpful suggestions here pretty soon.

Thank you for the reply. After my surgery I bought new balance orthopedic walkers, the less 'old lady' looking ones. They were comfy if a bit too casual for work, but then I didn't have much of a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick sweep of the internet indicated New Balance doesn't even make a shoe called a cross-trainer anymore.

Maybe others have had different experiences, but I've had difficulty finding cross trainers as well. It seems like they are being phased out by the shoe manufacturers. Also, Cathe recently posted that she currently prefers running shoes over the traditional studio shoes for her workouts (she has been using Nike Free 5.0).

My new go-to shoes tend to be running shoes. I use them for my cardio activities as well as weight training. Some swear by the barefoot or minimalist shoe but I think that depends on the individual. I personally would be a walking foot injury if I used those types of shoes.

I like Brooks, which tend to run 1/2 size too small so I always order 1/2 size larger. I believe they come in a variety of widths. I also just received a pair of Asics Gel Evate and I'm trying them out around the house today. So far so good, but I also needed to order the 1/2 size larger in these shoes.

As was said by the wise Maddie's Mum in another forum, experimentation is key. If you are in the U.S., Zappos.com has a very generous 365 day return policy with free shipping both ways. Other retailers will let you buy + try + return. Just keep all your receipts and check the store's return policy.

I have no idea if that helped, but there you go.

Lisa

Thanks for the tip! Cathe probably can use running shoes and get away with it. With the kind of flippers I'm sporting, I wouldn't trust a running shoe to support all 175 pounds of me!

I used zappo's a lot just to find shoes to walk in post-surgery. It was a bit embarrassing to be dropping off four and five pairs of shoes at the UPS store every day! Ha!

Do you wearing a brooks running shoes for working out?

Do you wearing a brooks running shoes for working out?

Yes. I'm finding that the Brooks running shoes feel the best on my feet for my workouts. I'm still experimenting but I do keep coming back to the Brooks.

You might also consider looking at the Asics brand. They make a lot of running shoes, and have certain varieties that cater to the exerciser over 150lbs, and also shoes that are targeted to over-pronators and shoes that are targeted to under-pronators (that's me!).

Don't be embarrassed to walk into the UPS store with loads of boxes. You're not the only one. My DH just dropped off 5 boxes for return for me today! Zappos is so generous with its return policy because it is hoping to earn your customer loyalty, so why not make the most of it?

Lisa

You might consider ordering a men's shoe for the width you need. Just an idea. Also, I had to stop ordering Ryka shoes because they were like boats on my slim, low-volume feet. But, they might suit you?

Do you have a running shoe store near you? (NOT Lady Footlocker where the employees have limited knowledge in fitting shoes to your specific feet) They do carry shoes in addition to running shoes. They are highly knowledgeable about foot shape, types, the need for width, orthotics, shoes for pronation, etc. They'll measure your feet, they know which brands carry width variations, etc. Consult them and reward them for their knowledge and guidance by buying your first pair through them. Then you can buy again through zappos or amazon to save $ if you need to.

Asics, for example, does come in a variety of widths. If you look at this page from amazon, and pull down the size tab, it shows you that a variety of widths are available in this excellent women's running shoe:

http://smile.amazon.com/ASICS-Womens-GT-2000-Running-Lightning/dp/B00KOLQZGI/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1439364095&sr=1-2&keywords=gel gt 2000&refinements=p_89:ASICS

I do all my cardio activities in my running shoes. It works better for me than any other type of shoe, particularly useful for step workouts as it helps protect my achilles tendon from over-stretching (the supportive heel helps). Like Lisa, I could not wear the shoes Cathe does: I also have custom orthotics. Cathe's shoes would leave me crippled and injured. But, I found my need for custom orthotics through my sports injury clinic. So, don't forget these resources available to you in your search for the necessary footwear for you.

Clare

You might consider ordering a men's shoe for the width you need. Just an idea. Also, I had to stop ordering Ryka shoes because they were like boats on my slim, low-volume feet. But, they might suit you?

Do you have a running shoe store near you? (NOT Lady Footlocker where the employees have limited knowledge in fitting shoes to your specific feet) They do carry shoes in addition to running shoes. They are highly knowledgeable about foot shape, types, the need for width, orthotics, shoes for pronation, etc. They'll measure your feet, they know which brands carry width variations, etc. Consult them and reward them for their knowledge and guidance by buying your first pair through them. Then you can buy again through zappos or amazon to save $ if you need to.

Asics, for example, does come in a variety of widths. If you look at this page from amazon, and pull down the size tab, it shows you that a variety of widths are available in this excellent women's running shoe:

http://smile.amazon.com/ASICS-Womens-GT-2000-Running-Lightning/dp/B00KOLQZGI/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1439364095&sr=1-2&keywords=gel gt 2000&refinements=p_89:ASICS

I do all my cardio activities in my running shoes. It works better for me than any other type of shoe, particularly useful for step workouts as it helps protect my achilles tendon from over-stretching (the supportive heel helps). Like Lisa, I could not wear the shoes Cathe does: I also have custom orthotics. Cathe's shoes would leave me crippled and injured. But, I found my need for custom orthotics through my sports injury clinic. So, don't forget these resources available to you in your search for the necessary footwear for you.

Clare
I find the running shoes are not good on the step they get stuck & I tend to almost trip. I just recently found the asics gel & I love them. They fit my foot just right with enough support for stepping. Now I am trying to find a new zip from sports bra with a zipper that is easy to use because my hands are messed up from nerve damage. I have the old champion sports bras that are now falling apart as the new ones have a tiny zipper & I have a hard time. Any suggestions anyone?

Are all the Asics gel shoes good? Are they soft or real "Jelly" like in the feel? I've never tried a pair and since I've been hearing so much about them here, I just thought I would look into them. There are a lot to choose from and I hate to spend a lot on a shoe I don't like.

Firemedic
They are not jelly like, they are sturdy & fit my feet well I bought 3 different syles of the gel but the shoes are not marked, so I don't know which models I bought, sorry

Firemedic
They are not jelly like, they are sturdy & fit my feet well I bought 3 different syles of the gel but the shoes are not marked, so I don't know which models I bought, sorry
Great Thanks, you answered my question perfectly. I wasn't sure if I wrote it right for a description. I think I might just go and try on some and see how they are.

Firemedic

do you have links to the site you got them from? Maybe we can work out what styles they are?

Asics uses gel as its medium for cushioning, but wearing their shoes feels nothing like walking on gel inserts in a pair of shoes. I hate that sensation. Asics gel sneakers --and they all are gel shoes-- feel like any other sneaker. Cushioned, firm under foot. So, don't let the word 'gel' put you off.

Clare

I saw on Amazon that the Gel 180 TR was on sale in my size for $38.98 so I ordered them. I got them for $8.98 because I saved $30 if I opened a credit card with them. I cannot believe I just got them for $8.98 with free shipping. I am so happy!!!:D Thank you everyone for recommending these shoes. I cannot wait to get them and try them out.

I saw on Amazon that the Gel 180 TR was on sale in my size for $38.98 so I ordered them. I got them for $8.98 because I saved $30 if I opened a credit card with them. I cannot believe I just got them for $8.98 with free shipping. I am so happy!!!:D Thank you everyone for recommending these shoes. I cannot wait to get them and try them out.

Steal of a deal, dontcha just luv it! What a good day for you!!

Clare

Good news: Found of Pair of Asics that I think will do the trick :)

Bad news: Doctor says no workouts involving lower body - squats and lunges definitely OUT :( and of course, no impact. Biking is OK.

I bought these too (I'm a sucker for shoes < 50) and they have great cushioning for the balls of your feet. Overall great cushioning, but I really noticed it on the balls. I've done step and high-impact and they perform great. They're a little tight on my pinkie toes, I'm hoping they'll stretch out and become more comfortable there. I can't remember if there was a width option on checkout, if so I chose a tad too narrow. Thanks for the recommendation!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.