New "toys" and "props" the Intensity Series has inspired you to get

kathryn

Cathlete
I know that many of you got new stability balls and medicine balls to go with the Intensity series tapes. I already had them in my collection, but I was inspired by some of the workouts to get new "stuff" (in some cases, the Intensity series was just an excuse to get something I've had on my "want" list for a while). Anybody else have new toys?

Mine are:
Interlocking floor mats (to do the impact moves in Boot Camp, absorb some impact, and save wear and tear on my wood floor). I got enough packages of these 2'x2'mats to cover an 8'x 10'area (though so far I've only covered 4'deep by 8'wide, with an open area where I put my step). I got 3 packs of dusty black/charcoal, and two packs of assorted colors (red, yellow, green, blue) that I scatter amongst the black squares. They help me see where the blocks end, and are good guides for the width of speed skater moves and sumo squats.

A Troy light barbell set, with extra weight plates, including some 1.25# plates. I already had a couple of other bars and weight plates, but my plates are getting a bit of rust on them, and they are harder on my floors. The Troy set is so nice and compact!

A stand for my weight plates. I usually leave them lying on the floor, but it's getting a bit crowded in here! I decided that a compact weight plate stand would be a good addition to my storage area (um...corner, or corners, of my living room).

Cool! Sounds like you have QUITE the setup :7 If you don't mind my asking, where did you purchase the interlocking floor mats and how much were they?

I'm in the process of making some purchases that will go nicely with the new Intensity Series. I'm getting a stability ball and a medicine ball. Have any suggestions for brands?

I ordered a new barbell, the Ivanko Aerobic Bar. I got a few new plates to go with it and some new collars, those Bollinger SlipLock ones that everyone RAVES about. Those should be arriving in the mail TODAY -- can't wait to check them out!

I think that's all :)

Where did you purchase the interlocking floor
>mats and how much were they?
I got them at my local Home Depot. They were 19.95 for a set of 4 (though they are now on sale for 14.95 for a set of 4).

I'm getting a stability ball and a medicine ball. Have any suggestions for brands?>

For medicine balls, you can go cheap with a 10# ball from walmart (just hold the ball closer to you and your body will react as if it were a lighter ball) or you can go with a more expensive model. I think Cathe and crew got theirs from www.power-systems.com (they list it on the behind the scenes info, I think). I bought an entire set of Ooof balls. They are medicine balls with a slightly bumpy surface. I like them a lot.

For stability balls, I have a Dura Ball pro that is very sturdy and woks well for sitting. I just bought a nobby Reebok stability ball (through QVC) that looks like it will be fun. The "nobbies" on it might add some traction. It's called a "massage ball". Since Cathe and the crew really don't do a lot of sitting on the ball, you could again go with a cheaper model from Walmart.

RE: New "toys" and "props" the Intensity Series has inspired you to get

Kathryn,

Thank you SO much. That's so extrememly helpful!! I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions, and in such wonderful detail.

So where did you purchase your set of Ooof balls from, and what's the philosophy behind them anyway? Is the idea that the bumpy surface improves one's grip on the ball? Just curious.

Thanks again for all your help!

So far I have gotten the sability ball,medicine ball,and a mat for abs.I need to get a new step now(i have the reebok one)and I want to get the troy barbell set and a weight rack.Man,fitness is pricey ...but it is SO worth it!!

What compact weight stand did you get? I've been looking for compact stands to hold my plates and also my barbells.

>Kathryn,
>
>So where did you purchase your set of Ooof balls from, and
>what's the philosophy behind them anyway? Is the idea that
>the bumpy surface improves one's grip on the ball? Just
>curious.
>
I bought my set from www.lifestylesport.com
They are fairly pricey, but I think they're worth it. They are very well balanced (no "shifting" feel to them, like some). They supposedly bounce, but I think that's only outside, because when I tried them on my floor, I feared the basement supports would crack!

The bumps add a bit of traction, making them easier to hold.

The set includes a 2# (a pretty blue that coordinates with the color of my Reebok stability ball, but colors vary) 3#, 4.5#, 6#,and 9#. The bigger the ball, the farther apart the nubbies are.

I already had the stabiliy and med. balls, but I went and got the barbell that is used in the Intensity Series from Walmart. They didn't have the 55# set, they only had the 120# set, but it was only $2 more at $22. The bar weighs the same, it just comes with more plates. I don't like the collars that came with it, so I ordered a set of slip locks. I have one pair of them and love them! I had been wanting to get a 2nd barbell and this was cheap enough to be the ticket. ;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.