New Cathe fan

Hi all:

I am new to the site, but I just had to make a few comments. I just got my first Cathe tapes today, and I am already a fan! Just a couple of weeks ago, I had never heard of Cathe, when I ran into the Video Fitness Web site, where all the rave is Cathe, Cathe, Cathe. I was sold on the tapes before I got them. I have Body Max, MIS, MIC and Power Max. I must say after reviewing all the tapes, I realize that I am not quite as advanced as I thought I was. I tried Body Max tonight, and I can't believe I still have the energy to type! I love it though. I was getting way too used to my old tapes, and my biggest gripe was that I hated sitting through instructional portions of videos, letting my heart rate dip, and not getting the most effective workout. Cathe certainly solves that problem.

One adjustment I think I am going to have to make is to move my workout routine to nights because of the length of her videos. I just don't have that kind of time in the morning. I have been doing two workouts a day, one light in the morning and a blaster at night. Cathe seems to make my combined efforts look like nothing. So I will just do one workout a day, alternating strength and cardio. Does anybody see a problem with that?

My only problem is dinner. I am not as advanced as the rest of you. I am just beginning to make my dinners lighter. By night I am starving, and naturally, all I want is carbs. I just bought a dozen cans of tuna and some chicken breasts to help me increase my protein, but I really don't have the desire to eat it. For the past several years, I have actually decreased meats in my meals. How can I make these things more appealing? Was this a challenge for anybody else? Also, I've seen some of the posts about dinner around the forums, and they seem like starvation to me. I feel so full after a plate of spaghetti; how am I supposed to make chicken breast and steamed broccoli satisfyin?. I really want some help in this area, and would like to hear from all who've transitioned from bad eating habits like mine to more healthy ones. How long did it take? How do you keep the FLAVA! I have a family that unfortunately is not "with me" in the fitness quest, and if I don't prepare the most satisfying meals, I get a bunch of sad faces. Please advise. Thanks.

dinner

I am not Cathe, but here is my $0.02 regarding increasing protein. Instead of trying to replace carbs with protein (such as replacing a pasta meal with veggies and chicken), try to work on ADDING veggies and protein to carb meals. For example, my husband and I often eat stirfried chicken and veggies over a (small) bed of pasta. If you use the right spices and a few hot peppers, there is a lot of flavour! Another option: buy a rotisserie (sp?) chicken at the supermarket. One night eat chicken with baked potatos and steamed veggies. The next night use the leftover chicken in sandwiches or a pasta sauce.

I have given up on the 40-30-30 idea, and simply try to ensure that I have some protein at each meal. For breakfast, protein is milk on my cereal. For lunch, protein is peanut butter on my sandwich. For dinner, it is chicken with pasta, potato or rice.

Best of luck - sounds like you are doing great.

Thanks

Thanks for your response, great ideas! I was thinking of getting a wok anyway. I must admit I have a very finicky appetite, so I'll have to improvise a little. Today, I bought some of those protein shakes Cathe's been suggesting. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully they'll help increase the protein.
But here's another question. I know protein helps build muscle, but does it directly affect fat reduction?

fat reduction

My understanding is that no type of food burns fat - only aerobic exercise can do that. But I have absolutely NO training in this area, just years of fitness magazine info in my head :) One thing I have read about protein is that too much can be a big problem for your kidneys, and can be quite dangerous. A good book to check out is Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition.

Re: woks - in my husband's opinion (he is the cook in our house), stove top woks are better for cooking than electric woks. Cheaper too.

Dequendre,
(My original message seems to have disappeared!;-( )
Welcome! I see that you've jumped into Cathe's workouts with a vengeance. Don't feel bad about not being as advanced as you thought you were. The tapes you mentioned are probably Cathe's toughest.

Some thoughts on food:
In order to feel more satisfied, I often start meals with a large salad: leaf lettuce or spinach (not iceberg lettuce, which is nutritionally inferior), purple cabbage, carrots, sunflower seeds, soy beans, raisins. It is low fat (unless you add too many seeds and nuts, or put a fatty dressiing on top--I usually just eat it plain, as the variety of ingredients makes it tasty enough for me), and satisfying. You may even use it as a light meal.
Re: protein. I know that the 40-30-30 eating plan is all the rage right now, but I think that a 60%-65% carbohydrate, 20% each fat and protein is better. And don't feel that you have to eat fish or chicken to get quality protein. Soy has been found to have the same quality protein as egg (which is used to judge protein quality). It also has many health benefits, including helping to strenghten bones (which can suffer from the consumption of two much animal protein, which can leach minerals out of the body), relieve menopausal and PMS symptoms, and reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol. For more info, check out the web site: www.dixiediner.com
They also offer many soy-based alternatives for meat and dairy products.
When I don't have time for breakfast, or as an afternoon snack, I will often have a soy-protein based shake made with "Peaceful Planet" or "Spirutein" mix (strawberry flavor, with added vitamins and minerals) or "Women's Replacement" (soy and cranberry) mixed with 12 ounces of either soy (again!) or rice milk.
By the way, I don't work for any of the companies that sell the above products! I've just been a vegetarian for over 20 years, and have read extensively in the fields of nutrition and fitness.

Best of luck!
Kathryn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.