Need surgery advice.

jackie7

Cathlete
Looks like I may need a hysterectomy because they cannot do my colon resection due to the large fibroids in the way. There is no way to shrink the fibroids; they have not shrunk with menopause.

So I am looking for advice on surgery prep. Of course I will eat healthy and take my vitamins, but are there any parts of my body that I should concentrate on? More core? Thanks for any advice.

Weathered Sandy, guess I can weather this.

Are you are concerned about a stomach pooch? If they are doing it laproscopically(sp?), that shouldn't be an issue. I had my appendix taken out and they did three small incisions on my abdomen. There was obvious swelling after the surgery but that went away a few days later. Personally, I don't think you need to do any "prep" to get ready for surgery.

The hysterectomy has to be done fully opened due to the size of the tumors. Don't know if that will allow the resection to be done laproscopically.

You might ask if they can remove the fibroids without doing a complete hysterectomy. Some years ago they removed some endometriosis and were able to do it laparoscopically (small cameras, small incision, minimal recovery time.) Its less invasive than a complete hysterectomy. I don't know if they could or would do that for you.

Coming up on the surgery you need to make sure that you aren't taking too much fish oil. It is a blood thinner and you need to advise the surgeon about how much you take. They usually have you stop taking fish oil a couple weeks in advance.

I wouldn't worry about the workouts being any different. You can workout up until the day before and then you will need to allow your body to recover for however long it takes afterwards. Don't push yourself. This is a time to heal, not a time to break down your body. I know its frustrating, I just went through a nasty life threatening skin infection, round of antibiotics, and viral cold and its been 2 weeks since I could even think about workouts. I feel like a total slug, but the workouts will be there when you are better. I promise! Besides, now that Cathe has almost finished this series, I'm sure that she is starting to think about the next one:eek:

My fibroids are too large to be done any way other then a full open. I asked about meds to shrink and embolization and was told that it would not help! He said my uterus was quite big! Thought they would shrink after meno but they haven't.

My fibroids are too large to be done any way other then a full open. I asked about meds to shrink and embolization and was told that it would not help! He said my uterus was quite big! Thought they would shrink after meno but they haven't.
Bummer!

Also, when you get home after the surgery, take it easy. My sister (who is a nurse) told me not to do any housecleaning, exercise, etc. You might feel good enough to tackle some chores but you will crash early in the evening on the first day. I know I did and I took her advice and did nothing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.