Need my time with Cathe!!

april71rn

Cathlete
All I ask of my family (which only consists of my husband & 12 yr. old daughter) is to LEAVE ME ALONE for an hour or so a day to do my Cathe workout and them I'm theirs for the rest of the day! They think it is so terrible for me to take this time away from them! I try to get my daughter to exercise with me , but she has NO interest at all! I try to workout after I take her to school, but my husband is self-employed and works outside, so he's home if it's raining, or too hot, or too cold, or there's no work to do! He thinks when he's home I should focus on him. I love him, but he doesn't understand my need to work out. I work weekends, so I only have Mon-Fri to work out. He's always like "just skip today" You'd think he'd notice how "ill" I am when I don't exercise. When I do and he is home he bugs me until I'm finished! Anyway, just needed to vent! My daughter did not have school today because of a huge water leak, so the were bugging me and making me feel guilty for taking an hour away from them today!!:-(

Wow. I would say you need to tell them to knock it off. I developed my love on working out at home from my mother and she made it clear from day one (when I was a child--this was over 20 years ago) that she needed this time and we had no business bothering her for silly things. God forbid we ever said "skip today". It just never entered mine, my father's or my sibling's minds.

It sounds like you've tried to make this point many times but they're just not getting it. Be firm now and tell them it's not an option to skip your workouts or be bothered (unless you decide so).
Good luck!

Allison

Sorry April! Just to let you know, I went through the same thing with my DH. I just told him simply...the more you support me on this, the more time you will have me around to love you. :) I treat my exercise time as an appointment like getting your teeth fixed or your annual checkup. I disappear for an hour into the depths of the basement and everybody knows that I am away and not to be disturbed! :) Good luck to you

April,Go right ahead and Vent! I understand the frustration of family not understanding our need to workout!I love working out and iam also ill if I don't...working out is my release.

When my DH is home and I also have a workout scheduled for that day,I try to let him know before-hand that im working out so its not such a surprise to him! Other-wise he might say "I didn't know your were working out today" with a disappointed look on his facex(!

but whether he's disappointed or not,I still workout}( he gets over it;-) LOL!

Take care!

"He thinks when he's home I should focus on him"

What does this mean exactly? I know every marriage is different, but I would think he would respect your right and obligation to keep yourself healthy, if for no other reason but to focus on him for many more years.

I start my workout at 5 am during the week while the kids are sleeping and my DH is at the gym, but on the weekend, they all know not to set foot in the basement while I'm working out!

Thought I would chime in....I have the same kind of husband! He only works m-th so I have 3 days with him off of work. I try to schedule my off days on fri-sat or sun..but with my recovery week being over I need to focus on those days until I feel I need a rest. So, I have informed him that I will be working out all of those days...to that I heard "WHY???" make it more like "WHYYYYYYYYYY???" I will stand strong no matter what. ;)

As for the kids they have learned if it is not an emergency the answer is NO due to their lack of respect for me during my time. They have came in "Mom can I? etc. I said is it an emergency breathing heavy and slowly cringing in pain...NOOO than that is your answer..should of waited until I was done...they have learned like little grasshoppers....:)
duck

GRRRR...Now that would make me sooooo very mad....x(

Do your husband or daughter have any interests that they are really into that you do not enjoy with them? If they do, I suggest that you give them each "a taste of their own medicine" at some point very soon and see how THEY like it!

You are not asking for alot and IMO there should be no question that you should get the time you are asking for!

Ofcourse there are circumstances where life gets in the way and that's fine but that is totally different from what you are describing.

Fortunately I don't deal with that at my house. My DH knows enough to let me do my thing and my DS is only 2 so he has no say in the matter. ;)

You definitely need to stand strong here!! DW wasn't too thrilled at first with the importance I place on my workouts. Her tune changed when I skipped a few days from time to time to do stuff with her, and it had a noticeable effect on my mood.

When I explained to her that the better my mood, the better times we'll have together. We have the rest of our lives together, to give me 1 hour a day..5-6 days a week, shouldn't be too much to ask.

Since our talk, she completely understands.

Jerry

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.