Need help on choosing a new stepper

iceejolt

I really would like to get a longer step to get the most out of my Cathe step workouts so I'm going to buy either the Original Step which Cathe uses or the other newer Reebok step which is adjustable 6",8",10" it's 35.5 in length I believe and the L shaped gray risers snap in place. I like the latter model because it does snap in place for ease of handling but it is shorter than the Original, yet longer than the 28.5" long step I'm currently using. The original health club step that Cathe uses is long 40" so I'm concern that my 5'4" short legs won't be able to get across it when I do over the tops or 360's especially when I'm tired. Also I've used this step before at gyms so I know how clunky the riser are to move around and adjust :-( . What about using either kind of step on carpet since that's what I exercise on? Does it skid around? I've heard of the top liner becoming loose or bubbly on the Original step. Has this happen to anyone? For the price I want to make sure it lasts.
Any suggestion or feedback will be appreciated.
I saw Walmart.com had a great price which including shipping comes to a little over $70 for the Original step so I may be leaning towards that plus it allows a lower starting height of 4".
Thanks fellow Catheites.

Cecilia

Hi Cecilia,

I have the Original Step and love it. I'm 5'3 and have no trouble using it. I have extra risers along with the High Step and I love the versatility between the two.
Whether I'm stepping or using as a weight bench or incline bench, it's safe and sturdy on my hardwood and carpet.
Still in excellent shape and that's with my kids also crawing around on it too!!!:p

Michelle

I have the Original Step and I also love it. I love that the risers can be used with the High Step, so I have less equipment to store. I got my Step on eBay, used, and it came with 6 risers. It had been used in a health club, actually, but it's in great condition. No bubbling or peeling off of the treads. It works well on carpet. I do find that when I use it at the 4" height (with no risers), it slides around a little bit - so I put a Yoga sticky mat underneath it and that keeps it in place perfectly. I am 5'3" and have very short legs, but no problems going over the top or doing 360s or any of that. Remember that Cathe is only 5'2" and she manages it just fine! :)

I'd go with the original club step. The risers will also fit the high step, and it's a bit wider (therefore more challenging) than the Reebok step.

FYI: "Stepper' is like a stair step machine.

Cecilia, I recently replaced my Reebok step with the original step. I don't know what kind of floors you have, but I have hardwood & the Reebok step doesn't really have any rubber on it to keep it from sliding. You can't use the step without the risers at all without slipping all over the place, which as you can imagine is a little dangerous. :eek: So that basically eliminates doing any step workout at the 6" level & I don't know about you, but I wouldn't even attempt an IMAX at 8". Also the material itself is a harder plastic--doesn't have that little rubber cushion on top--& is probably tougher on the joints w/the high impact stuff.

I got the original step brand new on ebay for $35, plus $20 for shipping. It's much more versatile & safer IMO.

ETA: Ooops, just re-read your post & saw you work out on carpet. So I guess that makes my input irrelevent. :p

I have an original Step (it's about 10 years old and still in great condition). I borrowed my sister's step while I was on the East Coast, and she has the Reebok. I used it on carpet, and it still slipped a bit. I was so happy to get back to my Step. So, Laura - your info is not irrelevant after all... :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.