Need Fitness advice

cathe4me2

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I have a slight dilemma with my neighbor, and I would love to have your advice and suggestions as to what to say to her and how to proceed.
The last week of July, she came to me for my assistance in helping her lose weight. Since her goal is to lose 50 pounds by this December (she is going on a cruise), she also is going to a diet doctor. I do not know the names of the pills she is taking, but one of the fat burners has ephedra in it (according to her statements. She was taking estrogen based medications, but she became very very nauseated with vomiting, the doctor changed it to progesterone, which also makes her have nausea.
I started her off with 10 min of Pilates a day for the 1st week because she had no exercise experience other than just life. I then introduced her to Cathe's weight workouts as I felt this could be modified to her fitness level and because she refused to do step work outs. In August I introduced her to kickboxing. She first would come over 2 mornings a week, then by late August, it became 5 mornings a week.
TurboJam came out and she loved to do this series.
Anyway, with the weight work, the kickbox, and the TurboJam, she still is not up to full intensity as she modifies all the moves. I would classify her as beginner/slightly intermediate.

The problem is, she is still getting sick with vomiting and headaches. She and her family is blaming the workouts because as they say,"she never was sick before". I told her that I think it is the diet pills that is doing a number on her metabolism and messing up all her hormones.

What do you all think this could be? I feel bad not only because she is so sick, but goodness, I was just trying to help her, since she asked me to, and now I am being blamed for making her this way.
She has lost 25 pounds since July, and her muscle tone is looking great. However, if you are this sick, what you look like doesn't help much. ????

Wow--I think I would recommend that she call her doctor. She could have a multitude of problems. Maybe she's developed migraines. Migraines can be hormonal (I used to get them at TTOM) and they can also cause vomiting. Progesterone can cause headaches and vomiting.

I don't think you should worry about it. Her problems have absolutely nothing to do with you. She's capable of deciding whether or not she wants to work out. It just goes to show you--no good deed goes unpunished! I think you've been a good friend to her when she needed one.
;)

Michele

Ditto what Michele said. This sentence from your post really struck me:

>I do not know the names of the pills she is
>taking, but one of the fat burners has ephedra in it
>(according to her statements.

Pills? Not just one pill, but several? I'm not a medical professional but if I were in her place, I'd go to the doctor (not the diet doctor, but a second or third opinion) for help in looking into what these things are doing to my body. Diet pills come with all these warnings, and I notice that magazine ads for diet pills also come with the fine print: "Results not typical". That always makes me wary of them. And you're right. If you're this sick, you won't enjoy the process or the fruits of your labor.

I used to have headaches from my BC pills. I made a switch to a lower dose kind and they stopped. I'm not saying she do the same thing, but it really pays to call the doctor and inform him or her about the effects of medication. This way she knows what other options are out there, if there are any.

You didn't do anything wrong. You helped her lose weight and got her to a good start in fitness. You also got her to find workouts she loves and may stick to for the rest of her life. I'd love to have a neighbor like you. I hope she finds out what's causing her to be so sick and that she feels better.

Pinky:)

I don't think the exercise you have her on has caused her to be sick, in any-way-shape or form, everyone else who posted hit the nail on the head. It's the diet pills that are making her sick...Sure exercise is at times no fun, but I've never heard of it making people physicaly sick, unless they are aneroxic (SP)and I have to question a doc (even a "diet doc")who only perscribes diet pills as a weight loss "cure" we ALL know the key to weight loss and exercise and diet not diet pills.

DOCTOR, DOCTOR, DOCTOR!! Exercise certainly isn't making her sick. She's taking ephedra and hormones? Something is very wrong there. Is her "diet doctor" a real doctor? The only exercise that would make her sick enough to throw up is extreme exercise (like the Ironman) which you all aren't doing. She needs to go to a good internist asap. And this is in no way meant sarcastically, but possibly a good psychologist as well. Many very overweight people have other issues to be dealt with the lead to their being overweight and block their success at weight loss. Don't exactly know how to suggest this to her (depends on how close you are to her), but that's my two cents.

Just seconding (and thirding and fourthing,and...)the already posted opinions. Tell her to see a real doctor, get off the meds, CONTINUE exercising, and not to blame you. The loss of 25 lbs is huge, and should encourage her to keep up the good work.

Wanda i am with every one here she needs to see a doctor. but also does everybody think exercise maybe releasing toxins in her body?are there other factors besides the pills? like maybe a family history of troubles that is being triggered b/c of these unhealthy pills.

i don't think its fair for you to be blamed but if that is how its going to be just tell her to see doctor and you are done with it b/c you don't need that kind of stress. maybe a doctor will tell her how it is, then her family might be like the fools for putting the blame on you. that is just my opinion talking now LOL.

kassia
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

We all know what's causing her sickness, but I guess it's easier for her to blame the exercise. I would be so worried about the pills with those reactions. Anything that makes your body want to be rid of it that badly cannot be good for you. Please urge her to see another doctor and to get his/her opinion. She could be doing some real damage to herself. Think of phen-phen.

Well, we all know how this story is going to turn out, right? She is going to stop exercising since the pills are "easier," then she is going to have to stop the pills sooner or later, then she is going to gain all of the weight back and then some.

I feel really sorry for people sometimes. But I guess we never want to learn that easy answers just don't work.

Marie

A BIG wave to you Wanda!!! Nice to see you! Wow, how sad especially since you have done a wonderful job of getting her started and also in a wise way. I also think it's NOT the exerise that is making her sick. To be honest, I don't know how someone can even exercise when they are nauseated! How awful! As much as I hate to say this, I think you should stop with her for now and just tell her that you don't feel the combo of exercise, hormones & pills are a good thing & that they might be endangering her and leave it at that. I know you would love to see her lose the final 25 but I'd be scared she'd pass out on me or even worse. Good Luck and again...it is sooo special of you to take the time for her as I know how advanced you are with your workouts. You're an angel!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

You guys are simply awesome! Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.
You know, Debbie just raised a thought that I hadn't considered: what if she passed out or worse? There have been a couple of times I was worried because she had to stop and sit down in front of a fan complaining of nausea.
My husband is concerned that I have to schedule in extra time to get "my" classes in with an already tight time frame, not to mention the repurcussions of being blamed for anything that may go wrong with her.
I phoned her earlier this morning, and let her know some of your comments about this diet pill. She says she has 2 more weeks left with it but said some people stay on it a long time. ???
I told her (with all your backing) that she should get off those pills, see an internist, and lose weight with normal foods and exercise.
I tell ya, dealing with hormones is very risky business because just a very small amount can mess things up. Couple that with an array of other pills and you have an accident ready to happen.
She told me that she is also taking a BC because she wants to be sure she has a good time on her cruise.

I agree with Debbie that I should tell her I am not comfortable with her exercises, pills, and hormones at this time. Personally, I am taking a short vacation as I recently graduated from MT school and will be working the first of the year. Later, I won't have time to do my workouts and her workouts too. Hopefully, she will be able to continue on....but....like was mentioned, those pills become a crutch as most do not learn to make good eating and exercise habits a way of life.
Thanks again everyone. I knew I could count on you. :)

I think your right.If I look good but am sick..whats the point?
And I also think you are right with saying that the pills are possibly making her sick and not the exercise.I have never heard of anyone getting sick from exercise.
Does her family know that she takes this medication?
I don't blame you for feeling bad b/c I would feel the same but even if this was the case...does the family realize that she is a grown women and can decide for herself if she wants to workout or not.Im sure you didn't drag her out of the house everyday.
If I were you,I think I would tell her how you feel and tell her she needs to see a Dr.And if she is blaming you as well, I would definitly tell her that you aren't working out with her anymore and that she is on her own.You are not responsible for any of this and you shouldn't feel obligated to help her any further.
Lori:)

Yep, I gotta agree with Deb on this - distance yourself from this situation pronto. From the first sentance I didn't feel right about her enlisting you as the "coach" to help her reach her unreasonable goal.
Just Do It! :)

I really hate to mention this but Debbie's post got me thinking. Start jotting down the exact exercises you did together and what you recommended and reiterate to her in front of her family that you recommed seeing another doctor for a second opinion (for all you know, this diet "doctor" is telling her the exercise is making her sick). I pray nothing happens, but if it does, and the family is already blaming you for getting her sick, I'd hate to see you in the middle of a lawsuit.

Wanda, it sure is nice to see you around here again!! :)

I'm chiming in here late in the game, but Mama Deb and Christine have started a train of thought here, and being the lawyer that I am (retired or not, it sticks to ya like mud ;-)), I must agree completely with them.

Take Christine's advice especially to heart, honey, and write it all down now -- the whole history of your involvement with the neighbor, her exercise program, her medications, what she told you about them, what you told her about them, her diet, how she physically reacted during the exercise, the nausea, the fact that you advised her to see a doctor for a second opinion, etc. -- all of it. Make your record. You're been a great friend and above-and-beyond neighbor to her, but you are putting yourself at potential risk here by continuing your entanglement. Time to back off, with love in your heart and a sympathetic smile on your retreating face. :)

Came back to add: If you have a moment's second thought or guilt about pulling out as your neighbor's trainer, Wanda, re-read your original post carefully. Couple of BIG clues: (1) Your neighbor AND her family are already positioning themselves to blame "the exercise" and, by extension, you. (2) And your neighbor clearly is quite ill and no amount of weight loss or exercise is going to magically change that. Remember what Deb observed -- she could pass out on you or worse. You just don't want to be there for any of that.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-001.gif

" I was just trying to help her, since she asked me to, and now I am being blamed for making her this way.
She has lost 25 pounds since July, and her muscle tone is looking great."

So, you get the blame for "making her this way",in other words, the nausea and headaches?? What about the 25 pound weight loss and great muscle tone? Who gets the "blame" for that?? Sounds like attitude with no gratitude to me. Sheesh!

Julie

Edited to delete redundant thoughts.....sorry!:eek:

She needs to go to a doctor immediately and get off those damn pills. That is so scary! I would ignore her family. Exercise is not the cause of her ailments, unless she isn't drinking enough and eating enough or getting enough rest or is working out too much, then it is her fault.

Missy

By any chance is she taking a prescription medicine call Meridia? I know that one affects 2 or 3 different brain chemicals and can cause nausea in some people. I have wanted to try it but am scared to.
Lisa

Lisa, yes this perscription is Meridia. I remember my neighbor saying that name now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Again everyone, Your advice and support is very much appreciated. I will take all these suggestions and put them to good use. Thanks for the heads up on the legal ramifications as well.

I also intend to talk to my neighbor's husband, armed with all the documented info and advice I have given his wife. While he is taking the same diet pill, he is not doing any kind of exercises and so is not losing as much weight as his wife. It doesn't take much imagination to get the feel what is going on between the lines at their home.

I will make the point to look in my med books about Meridia and print out the contraindications and give her a copy. The internet should have some pros and cons about it as well.

I thank each and everyone of you for giving me this advice. ((((Hugs))))

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.