Need advice for a wedding gift

LauraMax

Cathlete
My best friend from HS is getting married in Oct, & the knucklehead didn't register anywhere. I've known her longer than anyone I'm not related to, & we're still very close. She's 41, really into yoga, & her taste is modern/contemporary. I don't know her fiance well. He travels a lot so I've only met him a few times.

I'm kinda stuck--my taste is so different from hers (much more traditional), plus I suppose I should be getting a gift for BOTH of them. This is a pretty big deal--her first marriage & like I said, we're pretty tight, so money is no object. I can't think of anything she needs for her condo. I need help please!

I know this is going to sound kind of hokey, but my favorite wedding gifts were... cookbooks. My aunt gave me one that reminded me of her and wrote something sweet in the front of it, and I think of her every time I bake at Christmastime... I know another friend who made a cookbook for her friend filled with old family recipes. She just wrote the recipes on recipe index cards and filled a photo album with them. Kind of like a recipe scrapbook.

Another sweet thing is to maybe have a wedding quilt made for her filled with her favorite colors. If you know a quilter, you can help pick out the fabrics and get stuff that reminds you of her. That would be a bit pricey, but it would be something sentimental.

If you're looking for something more practical and a little less pricey... perhaps a nice bread and butter set. I gave my mom and dad a really pretty bread server one year for their anniversary and wrote on the note, "For many more years of breaking bread together."

If you don't care about getting them something for posterity, you could sign them up for a wine of the month club or a flower of the month club so they enjoy something special every month... I love love love www.goldmedalwineclub.com . My sister and I order my parents the wine of the month club every Christmas. They've come to expect it. :) And the wine is very very good. We always do a three-month membership, with them receiving wine every other month, so it lasts for six months.

Hope these were helpful hints! :) Congrats to your friend!

Laura,

How about arranging for a special dinner for them while they are on their honeymoon? I would imagine that most hotels would be happy to work with you on this type of thing.

It's so tough to give the traditional wedding gift to couples who are already set-up.

Another thought, maybe a wine of the month subscription? or a super espresso machine. :eek:

Good Luck,
Debbie Russo

The wine of the month club is a great idea! She's def. quite a wine drinker. And I can get a really nice set of glasses to go with it. Thanks guys, you helped tremendously! I knew I could count on the Cathletes. :)

I agree with Stephanie's suggestion. Cookbooks were my most favorite gift when I got married (almost 24 years ago!). My oldest daughter will be getting married really soon and I plan on putting together a cookbook with all of her favorite recipes (plus ones that I know are tried and true). I'm going to have pictures included of all of her favorite family members and friends, along with personal sayings. That's a lot of work, but I know it will be worth it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.