Need a healthy , lowfat cole slaw recipe.....

bceogirl

Cathlete
I like to buy the big bags cole slaw mix for quick & easy salads for summertime.
I've experimented some with trying to make a healthier salad, but just had so-so results. I don't want a salad thick with mayonnaise or dripping in oil.
Does anyone have a recipe or idea on how to make it light and healthy and still tasty?

Thanks!

Becky

I was raised on non-mayo cole slaw! My grandmothers and aunts always made the vinegar-based ones. Here's something that looks similar to what I'm use to.

1 medium head cabbage (about 4 cups shredded)
1 medium onion, grated
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons celery seed
1 diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 tablespoon dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste
PREPARATION:
Core and remove outer leaves from cabbage. Shred cabbage and soak in ice water for 20 minutes. Drain well, patting dry with towels. Place shredded cabbage in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
Serves 8.

I heard once that the secret is to sprinkle sugar over the cabbage and let it sit for an hour or so to wilt.

I like the mayo type dressing but mix the mayo with lite sour cream, tarragon vinegar,sugar and mustard powder, a tad of milk to thin it out.

I also use the bags of coleslaw with a mix of lite mayo, plain yogurt, cider vinegar and THE BIG SECRET, high quality barbeque sauce. OMG! To die for. My friend who's really in barbequeing (competitions, stays up all night tending the smoker, etc) turned me on the BBQ sauce addition. I buy mine at Balducci's (Kraft in NOT an option for this). HTH. BTW, I put tuna on top for the ultimate easy summer salad.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

I mix with a lite Italian dressing.
A vinaigrette would work as well.

Non-mayo recipes usually combine an acidic liquid (vinegar, lemon juice, or a combo) with a sweetener (honey, agave nectar, etc.) and some seasoning (salt, dill seed, etc.) and sometimes an oil (which can keep it from being low fat). You might experiment and see what you can come up with!

>I heard once that the secret is to sprinkle sugar over the
>cabbage and let it sit for an hour or so to wilt.

I've never heard of sugar being used to wilt, but I have heard of salt being used (it draws out the liquids). If someone wants wilted coleslaw (I like it crunchy!), then sprinkling with salt (then RINSING IT OFF) or even putting in a bag in the freezer for an hour or two will do the trick.

> I don't want a salad thick with
>mayonnaise or dripping in oil.

Another thing to try is simply use less of any dressing. There shouldn't be any extra dressing pooling in the bottom of the bowl.

I'm aware of the sugar thing - it's actually part of a family recipe. You use the cole slaw mix, some shredded sweet onion, and the dressing is oil, vinegar, a little water and sugar. Then you mix it all up and let it sit for a couple of hours. Light and delicious!!

Becky,

Ty this:

4 cups of cabbage shredded
1-2 carrots shredded
2-3 green onions (optional)

Blend together:
1/2 cup of non fat mayo
1/4 cup of seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 of a squeezed lemon (optional)

26 calories a T. for the blended mixture, much better than store bought.

Mix a tablespoon at a time with individual servings. It tastes really good.

Janie

img]http://images.meez.com/user/4/7/6/0/8/8/4/4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif[/img][/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

I like to make an oriental chicken salad with those bags of slaw. Throw in some grilled chicken breast and sliced almonds. Don't really have a recipe for the dressing. I just mix some low sodium soy sauce, seasoned rice wine vinagar, dry mustard, garlic powder, pepper and a sprinkle of olive oil to make the dressing stick.

I also use the same slaw but instead of the chicken, I cook an asian veggie patty (think they are Morning Star) and stuff the patty and slaw in a wheat pita. YUM!

I use the bags of preshredded too, especially when it's a buck a bag !

I just wing it with the dsg but kinda like this:

2 TBS LF or FF mayo
2 TBS NF milk
2 - 4 TBS apple cider vinegar (this is what helps the cabbage "wilt")
few squirts of dijon mustard
1 tsp of horseradish
1 tsp sugar
salt & pepper to taste

I make it rather runny so the slaw will soak it up.

You guys are the BEST !!!

I never expected so many great ideas !

I can't wait to try them all out.

Many thanks!:7 :9

Becky

Carrot-Yogurt Salad

1 pd carrots,peeled and corsely chopped
2 med size tart apples,grated
1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 Tablespoons honey
salt and pepper
1 c firm yogurt

OPTIONAL TOPPINGS

1 Tablespoon poppy seeds or toasted sesame seeds
1/4 c minced almonds or cashews,toasted
raisens
1/4 c shreddede unsweetened coconut
1/2 to 1 c finely chopped pineapple(or crushed,canned,in juice)

VARIATION

substitute
4 c shredded cabbage plus 2 lg carrots for the 1 pd carrots
apples-opt
substitute cider vinegar for lemon juice
use half yogurt and half mayo

From the New Moosewood cookbook
yummy and nutritious sub for coleslaw

Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.