My strong beautiful legs - long

NRGWoman

Cathlete
I have shared with you all snippets of this past year where I have been sick for a whole year now. On January 21 I had what will hopefully be my last surgery for a really, really long time (this was my 4th in a year). In this surgery they made an incision starting at my sternum, down to the navel, around the navel and another 2 inches further. Needless to say I am very sad about how much of my abdominal wall they needed to cut (of course if this fixes the problem anything is worth it). Since the surgery was so major I was in the hospital for 9 days, another experience I hope never to repeat.

Anyway, the day of my surgery they made me sit up in bed, are you kidding me??? I was incredibly shaky and the nurse wanted to hold me, but I knew if I could get my feet on the floor my strong legs would hold me, and they did. The nurses were surprised at how stable I was once my feet were on the floor, but as anyone who does Cathe knows our legs can do anything. About my 3rd day in the physical therapist came in for PT. She was this little thing that said she was going to help my stand up. She had this big strap she would put around me to use leverage to help me up. Now, since they only cut my abs I had full use of my strong legs, so once I got myself to the side of the bed I could easily stand up by myself (how bad would that had sucked if I couldn't have stood by myself because someone would have had to help me to the bathroom each time I had to pee and my IV was pumping away). My PT for the day was to walk laps around the floor which I had already been doing myself and to walk up and down 2 stairs to practice for when I got home. Other than the unsteadyness that comes with a lot of morphine the stairs were a breeze. The PT just shrugged as she brought me back to my bed and signed off on me. I continued to walk laps each day, partially from boredom and partially because they said it would help me get home faster.

A couple of days after the PT I asked my husband to stand with me when I did the stairs again. The whole time I was walking and doing stairs this one nurse was staring at me. I couldn't quite figure out why, but I knew I was doing the right thing so I continued on. Later that nurse stopped me and with awe said "you must have really strong legs". As a matter of fact I do.

This has been a really rough year for me. I have been unable to live the healthy life I wanted because I have been so sick. I was confiding in a friend before my surgery how shaken my confidence in myself was since I felt weak and fat. But this experience has once again affirmed a faith in myself that I can get through anything. And though my legs may be fatter than I would like they are strong and beautiful and I know deep in my heart they will carry me where ever I want to go.

Shayne

>And though my legs may be fatter
>than I would like they are strong and beautiful and I know
>deep in my heart they will carry me where ever I want to go.

BRAVO! I have tears in my eyes! What an amazing story!

You have treated your body well over the years, and now it is rewarding you / showing it's appreciation.

I wish you all the health and happiness in the world as you recovery and get back to your "healthy life", whatever that looks like for you!!

Wishing you all the best in your recovery. I too am in awe of what you and your strong legs can do!!

That was beautifully put. I had hip replacement surgery this year and was amazed how strong I really am-I am so happy for you, and all my best on your road to recovery.:)

Very inspirational! Keep up the great work and good luck with your continued recovery.

Take care,

Thanks for sharing your story! What a rough road you have had but hopefully you are on your way to recovery!

Lori:)

You are an inspiration to others and if by chance you haven't recognized it, to yourself as well! With the encouraging and uplifting way you are treating this situation, I am sure you will heal quickly and those great legs of yours will continue taking you to wonderful places in life. Gotta love those gams! (sp?)

Mucho healing to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bam

Reading your story has made me realize what a donkey I've been. Here I am striving to get those PERFECT legs when I already had them all along. Thank you for your inspiring story. Much love snd health to your and your family and a wonderful speedy recovery!!!!!!!

What an inspirational story. Thank you so much for putting things into perspective for me this morning. Here I was feeling sorry for myself because I am sick and stressed, but this is nothing compared to what you have conquered. Best of luck during the recovery phase.

Clarissa

Shayne - your legs are strong, and so is the rest of you, inside and out. Your courage and determination are an inspiration!

Wow, I got a warm fuzzy reading your post. I'm sorry for the pain you've have had and send warm wishes for a speedy recovery and much healthier new year! Blessings, Deb

Something tells me you will come through this surgery and recover a much stronger person than when you went in. Take care of those strong legs and keep doing what you're doing! Way to go! :+

Shayne,

You are a remarkable person. Such bravery! So sorry you had to go through that because of a digestive problem. Seems you prepared for it very well, what a smart cookie.

You did everything right, and I wouldn't be surprised that you will be instructing again very soon.

Keep up the fantastic work and please let us know from time to time how you are fairing.

Thank you for sharing,

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Thank you all for your kind words. I am determined to regain my fitness and health as I recover from this ordeal. Today I was able to walk on the treadmill for a short time. My stride is off as I am trying not to disturb my abdomen so I wobble as I walk. But we all know that Weeble's wobble, but they don't fall down. While it was stunning to see how hard it was to walk 1.3 mph today on the treadmill I know this is the first step to being getting my life back and returning to my beloved Cathe workouts.

Best of health to everyone.

Shayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.