Monica Brant hasn't worked her arms in 2 years!?!?

JUJYGRL

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

Did anyone else read Monica's article in July's Oxygen mag? I quote "i haven't worked out my arms in two years". Yet she looks utterly fantastic! She does tons of cardio (6-7 X's a week) and twice a week strength trains. She is on a maintenance schedule. Does this mean that once we reach a level of muscle we are happy with we don't need to ex w/ weights? I read somewhere that it is a myth that muscle will turn to fat if you don't use them. But the confusion I have is they say serious lifters will actually get up at midnight to have a protein drink so they don't lose any muscle. That just leaves me confused. Anyone know a answer to this?

~Chrissy~

I didn't work my arms for 2 weeks while on a trip and they were mushy at the end of it. She has just won a major fitness competition, or come 2nd or 3rd anyway. Not worked her arms in 2 years? Please.....

Further proof that you absolutely cannot believe even half of what magazines publish.

Clare

I think she's saying that she's not training her arms to get bigger or more defined, she's still lifting weights but just enough to maintain what she has. If she stopped UB work completely she would eventually lose muscle mass. It is true that muscle does not turn to fat - people just tend to lose muscle mass and gain fat when they stop weight training.

The protein drink at night is completely unnecessary (they're probably doing more damage by interupting their sleep) but I think the theory is to aid in muscle repair so they can look as big/cut as possible. Body builders are kind of set in their ways when it comes to that type of stuff, no amount scientific research will change their minds...the placebo effect can be very powerful I guess.

Hmm.. maybe she doesn't directly work the biceps and triceps,and the biceps get enough work from her back workout (especially if she does chin-ups) and the triceps get enough work from her chest and shoulder workout. She could also do cardio that uses the arms (like the resistance handles on a cardio machine, or doing kickboxing). It's possible, but still hard to believe.

I read that article yesterday. WTF??? I was surprised but I think she probably does maintenance only. Surely she does SOMETHING....

I agree with Clare on this one. Maybe she doesn't work her arms as she used to (that was 1-2x per week) and maybe she doesn't count planks, push ups, chin ups, etc. (which I know she does) as weight training. But I don't believe that crap that she hasn't worked out her arms in 2 years either.

Sometimes I wonder why I spend my money on that magazine. Between all the ads for wonder drugs that will melt fat away to the inconsistency in advice from articles eg. to eat dairy or not. One month I think I'm doing something to help and the next it's the opposite.

I'm so glad I found this forum. If not for advice, just to vent:)

~Chrissy~

I'm sure her message got misconstrued because the reporter probably had no clue as to what she was talking about.

BTW, muscle can not turn to fat. If I remember from my A&P class (taken 15 years ago!) muscle tissue is made of fiber and fat tissue adipose. There's no way one can change into the other.

Well as a former competitve bodybuilder I can tell you what she is saying can be the truth, absolutely. Don't forget when you work chest and shoulders you indirectly work tri's. When you work back you indirectly work bi's. Those muscles are small and don't need a lot of work. Once you get them where you wnat them maintance even through indirect excercise is very possible. She also does a tremendous amount of gymnastics for her routines which in turn uses all your upper body. I think what she is saying is she doesn't do excercises specificcally for those muscles, ie. biceps curls, tri extensions, etc, you get the picture. When you peak at such extreme levels for many years your body is just different. I am the same way I can go so long without working a muscle and it doesn't shrink. When I started asthanga yoga and thats all I did I didn't train for over 8 months, I didn't lose anything. I was able to maintain because of the strenuous nature of the practice. It would never help you build muscle however but can help you keep what you have. I now only do like 2 total body workouts a week when I am being consistant and have been for a few years. Lots of times I skip the arms, theres no need for it or just don't feel like it. Its all I need to maintain including my yoga practice. Of course along with that is a consistant clean diet. And genetics plays a role too. Some people may not have big peaked biceps and may never so that is a factor too.

Maybe that's why Madonna looks so good. She claimed all she did was Ashtanga yoga to keep in shape. But, she also worked out for many years prior, eats clean, and has good genes. Makes sense.

I have a friend, she is probably 33. I met her a little over 3 years ago. She has a great shape and her arms (not to mention legs, abs, etc.) are defined and great looking. I asked her if she worked out. She said no, she hasn't worked out in years, but she was a competitive bodybuilder in her late teens, early twenties. She flexed her bicep, it was well defined and hard as a rock. She said to me "You never lose it". I was befuddled, because I can "lose" my muscle definition in a matter of weeks.

Lori

She flexed her bicep, it was well
>defined and hard as a rock. She said to me "You never lose
>it". I was befuddled, because I can "lose" my muscle
>definition in a matter of weeks.
>
>Lori

I don't think that 'you never lose it," but that you can maintain it more easily. If you don't do anything, then, yes, you can lose it. But if you challenge the muscle in other ways (gardening tasks and landscaping, sports, etc.) then you can maintain. And if you start out with strong, defined muscles, you are able to do whatever tasks you do more intensely (even weeding!), so you use those muscles to their max. My stepmother never lifted weights or "worked out," but she worked as a house painter with my dad, and all the ladder carrying, and painting and scraping, and whatever goes along with the job gave her a body that looked like it had been worked with weights.

That makes sense Kathryn, because she is really energetic and always doing something. Maybe I don't lose it that quickly. I may pack a little fat around it. :) I do build muscle easily which is a plus.

Lori

>Maybe that's why Madonna looks so good. She claimed all she
>did was Ashtanga yoga to keep in shape. But, she also worked
>out for many years prior, eats clean, and has good genes.
>Makes sense.

Yeah I hate when she says that and every time she's photographed by paparazzi she's running or cycling. Doing only Ashtanga? I think not!

I think that depending on her workout routine it is possible for her to not have worked her arms, but the routine (IMO) would have to be a heavy compound movement type exercise(s). This is probably not likey.
I think, as Clare said, this is likey a fib!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.