Moms-to-be Check In: Week of June 3

erinw

Cathlete
Hi everyone.

I have been absent from this board for too long now, so I wanted to post another check in for those of us who are expecting little boys or girls. :)

I am 28 weeks along, and am carrying a boy. I am carrying him quite low, and I am constantly having to go to the bathroom! My boobs are getting bigger, so I had to buy new bras. I have already gained 20 pounds, which I find almost shameful, but I am trying not to worry about it too much. I find my appetite is starting to slow down now, which is a good thing. I spent most of the last trimester eating pretty much whatever I wanted, and it obviously caught up with me. I can't eat much at a time anymore, as I seem to get full rather quickly. So now I just have to watch how much I am snacking. I have been able to continue with my exercise routine, but find I just don't have the same energy level anymore. I am down to using a 4" step height, and use only 5-10 pound weights. I find I can't do as much cardio as I used to and really have to modify stuff if there is too much jumping. I am kind of frustrated by this, but am trying to listen to my body and be more careful this time. I am guilty of not modifying much last time, and my first son was born 9 weeks early. So, I am trying to avoid that happening again.

As for my workout schedule, this is what I did last week. Tomorrow, I am going to the zoo, so that walking around may be all I do. But I may try to get in Preggie Bellies workout before we go. Today, Saturday, is my day off. Though it's so beautiful outside I may go for a walk later on.

Sunday- Cathe's LIC (this one gets a lot of use lately since it's low impact)
Monday- CIA/ Kimberly Spreen's new Kickbox workout (I'm forgetting the name now)
Tuesday- Cathe's C&W
Wednesday- CIA's Step Til You Drop (only the first cardio and 1/2 of the second)
Thursday- Patrick Goudeau's Dumb Training (a new one for me, and kinda of tough for me as my belly gets bigger)
Friday- Cathe's KPC

I find I have to modify a lot of Cathe's workouts, as she is so high intensity (gotta love her for that though). But I hate not doing Cathe's workouts at all, so I still use them. There are just many that are now too hard for me, such as DM, BM2 and BC. I find I enjoy floor aerobics more now and it seems to be easier to keep my heart rate from going to high doing that than step aerobics. This has been a truly enlightening experience for me so far, and I hope the third trimester still allows me to enjoy exercise. Wish me luck! :)

Erin

Hi all,
I was on this board a year ago, but miscarried in June '06 at 8 weeks. I've found myself preggers again after a long hard year of testing and finding out that DH had MIF with only 2.8 million sperm. Our next step was for him to see the urologist to get things checked out as the RE said that a sperm count that low may be something serious. My tests all came out normal and they did an HSG ultrasound to check the tubes. They were all clear and I think that's what might have done the trick. They say that the dye going through the tubes might help fertility issues by just 'cleaning' everything out. To our surprise, I found out I was pregnant and am starting my 5th week now.

DH was so proud after hearing that we had virtually no chance of conceiving naturally on our own with those counts. I think someone was looking out for us. Now, I'm trying to take it day by day and not think about the previous MC. I have my first visit with the OB on June 27 and looking forward to that!

DH still needs to see the Urologist to be sure nothing is seriously wrong and that is coming up in a week or so.

Just wanted to say Hi!
Anne

Hello,
I'm 16 weeks, and just today my doc said everything looked good. (Whew! What a relief given a miscarriage at 12 weeks last year! I know how that can be Ann; hang in there. I have a good feeling about yours.) I noticed, Erin, that you mention Low Impact Circuit and Cardio & Weights in your rotation. I have found myself relying almost exclusively on these two DVDs of Cathe. They seem the most mild of Cathe's videos. I also use some of the shorter X-Train videos and modify them to be low impact.

I want to keep exercising, but I am wary of anything too high impact or vigorous. Is it okay to keep doing step as I progress beyond 4 months? What about kick boxing? I already cut out abdominal work, for the most part, and this concerns me a bit. Somehow low impact (and yoga) seems instinctively right to me at this time. Is there anything I shouldn't be doing now in terms of excercise? Do you know of other of Cathe's DVD's that are mild and conducive to the second half of pregnancy? I'm not insisting that I keep a buff body throughout; I just want to keep moving for circulation and blood sugar reasons.
Manmohini

Anne, I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy. I hope all goes well.

Manmohini, I would also suggest Cathe's High Step Circuit, Low Max, KPC (with modifications), Push Pull and Supersets. I think it is okay that you continue doing step, as long as you can do it safely and without your heart rate going too high. I would suggest going down to a 4" step height as you get bigger, which I have done. I think kickboxing is fine, as long as you aren't pushing yourself too hard (again, watch your heart rate). I don't think you need to cut out abdominal work. I still do it, but mostly rely on my stability ball and modifications in a pregnancy book I have. The only things I know for sure you should avoid are any excercises while lying on your back. Otherwise, I would check with your doctor. I hope this helps, at least a little bit.

Whew Hew! Just beaming to see Anne here from TCC posts!! Hey there girlfriend! Praying for you and your wee-one. :)

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

Congratulations to you Anne! How wonderful and hello to the other
ladies. I hope you have a successful and healthy pregnancy!!

I am 31 weeks along with my second child. My daughter is 17 months
and very active!! This pregnancy has gone by quick most likely
since I am chasing after a toddler and working full time. I
worked out until the day my water broke and hope to work out
until the end this time too. I have had a burst of energy the
last few weeks so my workouts have felt great. I am able to
modify many but have started using consistently The Perfect Pregnancy
Workout. I also started to use Karen Voights abs on the ball rountine.
I have put on a total of 16lbs. thus far. I put on 23lbs. in total
the last time and thru exercise and eating healthy came off in a
few weeks. The exercise throughout pregnancy was key though.
My eating has slowed down too. No longer has hunger struck me
in the middle of the night as it did in the 2nd trimester .
I am sure as the baby gets bigger it will start again.

Take Care Ladies!

Jennifer Claire 12/24/2005
? 8/10/2007

Hello Ladies!

Congratulations to everybody - especially those who have suffered losses . I am almost 16 weeks (Manmohini is a few days ahead of me) but haven't been doing the check-in before this b/c I didn't really believe my little bean was going to stick until now. I have had 2 losses over hte last 2 years and have had all kinds of testing, IUI's, etc. It turns out that DH had a sneaky hidden varicocele ... well, we went on vacation right before his surgery and got pregnant! (He went ahead with it just in case ... ouch.)

Manmohini, I've been using Julie Tupler's Maternal Fitness book that has transverse ab work in it. For the most part, you concentrate on sucking your navel in towards your spine in controlled pulses, etc. so maybe this would be up your alley? Ab work that doesn't involve some of the aspects of regular moves that might worry you or make you uncomfortable.

Mostly I have been continuing with cathe dvds, modifying super high impact moves or pivots that make me dizzy. Today was a LoMax sans blasts day.

I look forward to watching everyone's progress and learning from those of you who are farther along.

Take care,
Erica
(a.k.a. Arancini - one of my cat's names - Italian for "little orange")

Erica - Isn't it great how things work out! Prego before your DH surgery! Sorry he still had to go through it and hoping he's recovering o.k. Sack of frozen peas in the region? x(

Manmohini - You've got to be relieved to be 'out of the woods' and on your way to a healthy baby! Hoping I can do the same without stressing too much.

I got my Beta's back and they were 16 DPO - 102 and 20 DPO - 514, so they're doubling o.k. for now, so that comforts me a bit. Will feel a lot better after that first appointment. 3 more weeks can't come soon enough!

Melanie - Thanks! Praying to see you on this board real soon!

Erin - It's so great that you're still working out so much at 28 weeks, but don't overdo it! I guess I'm still a little gun shy with the m/c last year. I'm doing Cathe's leg workouts, weights and walking a lot. Call me paranoid, but I'm just not ready to keep doing the jumpy step aerobics yet. Not sure I will be...we'll see.

Glad to see everyone is progressing so nicely! ;-)

Chat later,
Anne

Woohoo, Ladies. Just wanted to report some good news. Had the quad screen test done last week and the results came back negative! I am thrilled. I have to admit I was a little anxious after one of my husband's co-workers tried to lay a heavy trip on me about advanced maternal age and birth defects.
Manmohini

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.